The Bluespot Club

leebca

"Silica" just means what the sand is made out of. It is not a size indication. It is, for the most part, the sand that is on a sandy beach. Not fine; not large.

I'm still concerned about the substrate. I see bits that seem too large for the proper sieving for this fish. The substrate is scooped up and 'sieved' for food bits then pass out, through the gill plates. Thus the substrate must be small enough AND consistent in size to accomplish this. These fish do better in substrate of about an average of 1mm or smaller in size, but seem to have problems when the substrate particles contain average sizes in excess of 2.5mm.

Any fish can be quarantined, even if it has special needs. All new acquisitions should be quarantined. Don't give up on that approach. A properly operated quarantine process is less stressful than being put into a display tank with other creatures.

Mysis is not a staple food. Garlic will not help here. This fish needs variety and vitamins along with a fat supplement. You should take some time and read this:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...eeding-marine-fish-marine-fish-nutrition.html
and
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums.../23069-different-forms-marine-fish-foods.html

If you don't provide better nutrition and very soon, the fish may not heal as fast as it should, nor will the fish likely live very long on that one food.

:thumbup:

SeahorseBT

Ok, I'll read those links. Actually these fish don't sift the sand like the diamond goby. They just shovel it out. Most members here will agree that a BSJF will have no trouble with this substrate. I'll pick up the sand and water from work this thurs or sat.

SeahorseBT

I'll pick up some food that place I work at makes. It is similar to rods food. I'll try to get the list of ingredients and run it by you.Thaks so much for all the help.

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
i didnt notice it when i picked it up from my friends house, although i called him about it and he said must have happened moving a large rock. He was not in a tank with other jaws. When i saw the wound i cant even explain how it looked...it was small. I didnt think much of it when i shipped.

You see what happens when you sell something for a friend....you get to play middle man.

bluespotjawfish

I agree with Seahorse, they don't sieve the sand. They spit the sand as part of the building/remodeling of the den. I have found that for a long-term home, a multi-grade sandbed is the best in regards to building materials. I use a Reef Grade aragonite (which varies in size) and have for 10 years with these guys. I had a single medium grade in my 50 gallon tank and they had nothing but problems getting the den to stay in place. This information is intended for general housing and not QT or housing the injured fish.

As for the QT, I tried the jar of sand, even turned it on it's side. Mine wouldn't go into the jar, but eventually housed underneath it. Some will take to PVC tunnels, but you still need some sand (silica). I didn't care for the PVC because I couldn't see the fish. I would recommend piling the sand 2-3" deep on one side of the tank and leave the other side shallow if you want to conserve on sand. Second choice would be to do the same into ONE of the corners of the tank if you need to conserve more. The fish will pile the sand in the shape/form they want it. Mine have made by 3-4" sand bed a 6-8" bed where they are at now. Of course they have done this over time.

Is the fish still eating?

Last edited:

SeahorseBT

Yes he is still eating like a champ.I offered somthing similar to rods food and he went crazy! It has loks of ingrediants I'll post later. The QT tank will have to wait, I am going out of town for the weekend.

SeahorseBT

The twins are doing very well and the injured one's lip looks slightly better to me. I am feeding a new food with a ton of stuff like mysis, sqiud,scallops, cyclopeeze, roe and tons more. I bet that is helping. He also switched burrows today. I am going to try and get pics of the injury and get everyone's opinion before I setup the QT tank.

tbaquatics

RS Sponsor
I may have been a member of the club, but only for a day. I've sold quite a few of these guys, and decided the other day to get one for my daughter's tank. Acclimated him for a few hours and in he went. Hid for the rest of the day, next day he was building like crazy and poking his head out like a typical bsj. Haven't seen him since. Tank has a tight lid. Do they take a turn for the worse that quickly? Going from building and happy as a clam to gone with no warning? I know they jump, but this isn't the case with this one.

lcstorc

They can but they can also be very very good at hiding. One of mine is now in a spot where you would never see him if he didn't come out to eat. I am hoping he doesn't stay there long.

SeahorseBT

Congratz TBaquatics!

Unfortunatly, as I posted before, my BSJF with the injured lip moved burrows. The wound was looking better, but now he irritated his lip and it looks like he exposed some of his bone! I think that all the pressure on his lip from the sand and rubble messed him up. Would setting up the QT help at this point?
Here are the pics:
IMG_5626.jpg

IMG_5624.jpg

IMG_5623.jpg
IMG_5605.jpg

IMG_5606.jpg

IMG_5607.jpg

Here are some pics of the other one:
IMG_5610.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

bluespotjawfish

Oh Blake, that is sad. Broken lower jaw for sure. I don't know at this point what can be done. I'm surprized he could even dig a new burrow.

bluespotjawfish

Sorry, wish I did.

I personally would wait it out unless you can tell that it is an infection. He isn't in a tank where he has to compete, so that is good.