The Bluespot Club

lcstorc

Yes I did Lorraine. The lfs put two in the same acclimation bucket and before the acclimation was done one had killed the other.
This time there were two in adjoining cubes and they got along fine. The other one was small enough to get from one cube to the other and there was no agression or damage at all.
Meanwhile mine are still at opposite ends of the tank. Sunshine is in the left front and the new guy is in the right rear. Probably a good thing. I am hoping someday they find each other and are happy but I will accept tolerating each other just fine.

SeahorseBT

I got a short video of the one in the 46. He is very brave. I threw in a few pellets so you could see his whole body.He smelled them but couldn't find them.

SeahorseBT

I got some pics of the injured one. She eats fine, is alert, and is birrowing.
You can see the wound n a couple of these shots. It's hard to beilive it came from moving a large rock...
Tanks200-1.jpg

Tanks199-1.jpg

Tanks198-1.jpg

Tanks197-1.jpg

Tanks196-1.jpg

Tanks195-1.jpg

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
wow...blake it wasnt that bad when i shipped him/her...It was fairly small when i shipped. have you tried iodine?

lcstorc

Hope your blue feels better soon Blake.
Meanwhile mine are still at opposite ends and as far as I know have still not met.

leebca

The fish is injured, to be quite obvious. But I am not concerned about the healing of the fish as much as whether or not the fish is in the best environment for it. I would argue that the injury is not from carrying or pushing a stone or bit of substrate around, but has been caused by having rubbed against substrate that is too rough for this fish. This fish uses it face as a shovel, however the front and bottom rubs against the substrate. For this reason the best substrates are smooth, rounded particles, without sharp edges.

I mean to say that if the substrate is harmful to the fish, then healing the fish to return it to the same environment is really not going to solve the problem in the long run.

To help verify the above:
I would move the fish to quarantine, away from that substrate altogether. Silica sand can be put into the quarantine tank.

Provide the fish with immune boosters in its food and make sure the fish is getting the top nutrition it can.

Also make sure the QT water is top notch in quality.

Then treat the fish with an antibiotic that is specifically good for injuries. One such is NITROFURAZONE (found in Aquatronics’ Furacyn, and in Spectrogram).

After the fish is totally healed, return it to the display tank. If the fish displays an injury again, it is not coincidence or 'accident' that the fish got injured, but more likely not a good substrate for this fish.

:thumbup:

SeahorseBT

Thanks for the advice.The substrate however, is very small particle. Do you think that the rubble could be rubbing against the wound and causing irritation? I have a qt tank housing a clownfish right now that has a large white spot on it which seems to be healing. I think it was a scrape.I have posted a thread in the QT area. Thanks for the quick and informative reply.

Last edited:

bluespotjawfish

I wouldn't expect her to check back in on this forum. If you posted in the QT thread she may check that periodically.

BTW, am I reading the thread correctly that GSellers noticed a wound on her mouth before shipping? If so, the wound could also be from netting, a battle with another jawfish, or some other incident somewhere in the shipping process (even before GSellers got her).

Based on the photos, I don't see an issue with the substrate or the rubble for an otherwise healthy jawfish. However, you don't know what is under that rock, there could be a sharp edge someplace. It doesn't appear to be a fresh injury, but any rough edge in the existing system would hinder the healing process. A silica bed would control that.

SeahorseBT

Is a silica sandbed really fine? Gsellers told me about the wound after he had already shipped them. However he took of $20 for the inconvenience. I am not sure when he noticed it. If I did do a silica sandbed then would I have to do a lot of sand or just a good 1-2 inches? Gsellers, does the wound look more inflamed? You say it looks worse, what do you mean?

leebca

I see now where Gsellers mentions that ". . .it wasn't that bad when I shipped. . ."

If the fish arrived with the injury then it may get worse under a few conditions: water quality, low on energy reserves/poor nutrition, infection, and additional injury. Any one or a combo of these could be an irritant to increase or exacerbate the condition.

The fish will not attempt to 'shovel' rubble. But maybe we should make sure what we are talking about. What do you call rubble? I think of rubble as bits of broken rock and/or dead coral, usually larger than a penny. When I look at the photos I see what I thought were bits of substrate much larger than the sand these fishes prefer, yet smaller than rubble.

They dig enthusiastically in their search for food. Already injured, any jagged bits of substrate could further irritate the wound.

Still, my previous post would take care of more than one of the above causes for the wound to be further irritated. I'd move to heal the wound outside the display system and in a QT with a fine silica sand. Since you have one QT in use, I'd set up another.

I may be missing something here, but when you got this fish, didn't you quarantine it? It seems like you have the equipment and seem to understand why/how to use it--especially if you saw the new fish was injured. :confused:

leebca

Just posted the one above then saw your next post, Blake.

Out of courtesy for the fish, I'd provide at least 2.5 inches of sand. They slip in semi-horizontally and 2 to 2.5 would be good enough. Sand is good if it is 'clean.' It doesn't have to be like powdered sugar fine, sandbox sand is okay so long as it's silica. "Sand" does come in different grades/particle sizes.

You can actually just put a saltwater safe container inside the QT with sand in it and not cover the entire QT bottom with sand, if you want. The container should be double the length of the fish in diameter (if round) or in length/width (if rectangular).

SeahorseBT

I can set up another QT tank. I didn't QT in the first place when I saw the injury because I don't have a sandbed in the QT tank and didn't want to stress him.

I feed mysis everyday and will try to pick up some more garlic. As far as rubble goes, I have some pieces the size of a penny down to a hermit crab shell size. I will try to get a better shot of the sand. I don't think that is a problem. Thanks for the suggestion on the container. I'll do that. I have a 30 gallon I can use as a QT. By silica you mean very fine right? Should I just monitor the water quality in that tank with daily testing or what? I usually have QT'd with a established sandbed for biological filtration.Thanks for all the wonderful advice.:)

SeahorseBT

You can see the sand here:
Tanks202.jpg

The brain is about 2 inches across for reference.

I got some clowns from Doni and the bluespot in the 46 was so curious. He was all paranoid. Gotta love em'.