The 20

PIMPALA

Congrats on the wennerae!! That rock is amazing, and the tank looks AWESOME!

Cant wait to see how this tank progresses. :)

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Mantis's are sooo cool.. I'm happy some people are starting to get them....

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

Uslanja

Hi Guys! Hi Gary! I've been working some crazy hours and getting home with just enough time to grab 4 hours of sleep and then back out so I haven't had time to check my email or log on for a few days. But today I am off (Tracy has to work..... sorry Honey!!) so I've been catching up........ Gary, it wouldn't be right for me to tell your "new fish" tail but we certainly would like you too and of course to see a photo of it!! We're actually thinking that you can post it all here if you want..... please!! (I have read Gary's email about his new fish and I can only say that it sure is a good one!!)

Well, I'm sitting here too tired to even make coffee but with one eye propped open and barely focusing on Tracy's mantis tank. The little fella is all over the tank going from one rock to another, in and out of all the tunnels, across the substrate and even going up the corners of the tank almost to the waters surface. A very active little mantis! (Did I mention that I'm home and Tracy is at work? Sorry Honey!! Hope you have had a chance to see some of this wild mantis activity!) So now the learning all about Mantis Shrimp begins!

We had mentioned earlier that the Yellow Tail Damsel fish have been observed going into the tunnels that the mantis shrimp was making and carrying out gravel in their mouths and depositing that gravel several inches away from the tunnel opening. Some of the gravel pieces are quite large and the damsel will carry it with their lips. We have also been observing the damsels when the lights go off and all three of them will retire too a separate tunnel and remain there for the night until the lights come back on, then they come out and school in the water column together. The mantis, so far, does not seem to bother with the damsels. We do not know very much about Damsel fish but they certainly are displaying what we find to be a unique and interesting behavior.

We had read that the spearing mantis will take fish and that the clubbing mantis will more likely go after shelled crustaceans and such. The damsels are to provide some movement and colour in the tank and hopefully "Manny" leaves them be, but if he eats them.... well they are quite large compared to "Manny" so he will be well fed!

If anyone has any links to mantis and/or damsel info.... feel free to throw them up here!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Good info on the damsels. I do love the symbiosis between some animals. PS. Make the coffee!

matt sometimes enjoys sarcasm

glampka

Didn't want to jack your thread, Dave. Since you insist......
Sunday the wife & I were attending a party a couple doors from Salt Water Paradise. Decided to stop in before the party to see what interesting fish they might have with the intention of picking it up after the party. Walked in & saw this gorgeous Majestic Angel. Figured perfect fish for the 45 cube. That was until I saw the price - $120! A little too rich for my tastes. Decided on a different fish & asked Joe & Annette to hold it a few hours until after the party.
Went to the party & had been talking to one of my fellow Parrotheads about the fish I saw.
Fast forward to the end of the party. I head back to SWP to get my fish. Joe says, "I'll go bag your Majestic." I replied that wasn't the fish I had picked out earlier. He then proceeds to tell me that my friend came in during one of his smoke breaks & bought the fish for me. I was shocked & said I really couldn't accept it. Joe told me I had to since it was already paid for & there was no way of refunding the money.
Took the fish home & did a bit of research on it & found it needed a 180 which is 108 gallons more than my largest tank. No way he was going in the 45 so his new home for the short term is the 72. Luckily he's a smaller one & I'll be able to keep him for a bit before having to find him a new home.
Parrotheads are some of the greatest people!
Picture to follow possibly tomorrow.

ChrisY

Haha great story!

not a free $120 fish means you need some tank upgrades. lol Love it. you can't turn down a gift, right? So you have to do the responsible thing and go bigger on the tanks :)

glampka

So you have to do the responsible thing and go bigger on the tanks :)

And at the same time find a new place to live since the wife will issuing my walking papers. Already have a potential new home for the angel. The guy who bought it for me is thinking about getting a 450 - 500 gallon tank from his uncle. Of course you know who will be setting it up for him. Perfect home for it.

ChrisY

You got a free gift to give back to the purchaser and also setup his tank for you to house it? Man you got rick-rolled then ;)

Uslanja

Hey Gary...... I'm in for helping you get that 500 gallon tank going!! I love the hardware side of this hobby, just wish I could afford it!! But on someone else's dime..... sure could have fun helping you guys build it!! And this is now tomorrow so I'll try to get home early enough to check for the pic this evening!!

catran

Love the expression on that mantis. Those eyes are wild! *L*

I love those eyes too! Congrats on the 20! Sorry Dave. I can't wait for all the coool pics I'm going to see of this little guy, lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

glampka

It's Friday so it must be picture day.
Not the best but you can see what a great looking fish it is. Tracy is just going to have to bring the camera over for a photo shoot

photo1.jpg

Uslanja

Hey Gary. That is a gorgeous Angel. I did a little peeking on the net about Majestics, they are just gorgeous. Great story! I would love to take some pics of him.
By the way, we had a great time last weekend!