The 20

Uslanja

One day earlier this week we had gotten home from work much sooner than normal and so we headed across the border to grab a couple of burritos and pick up a bubble coral that Joe and Annette at Salt Water Paradise had ordered in for us. While we were looking at corals I turn around only too find that Tracy has left me standing there and talking to myself. I hate when she does that!! So, feeling rather foolish, I sheepishly slink off around the store to find out where she has gotten too and low and behold; I find Tracy at the live rock tank, on her knees with her head pressed firmly against the glass. Immediately my mind goes to wondering what her childhood school years were like and wondering what the length of the bus was that she rode on and if she is used to having her face mashed against glass?? But I have gained wisdom over the years and I keep all of those thoughts to myself!! After a few minutes, I hear Tracy say that she can hear a mantis clicking in the tank and she's looking for him. A few minutes more and Tracy points out the rock that the mantis is in and a couple of seconds after that I hear Tracy telling Joe that she wants that rock and the mantis that is inside of it! My mind immediately begins to wonder; wha wha what?? Has she given this any thought?? Where are we going to put it?? I can't start a new tank but she can?? But as I stated above; I have learned a few things over the years and so I stay quiet! “Do you mind, sweetheart” I hear. But as I stated above; I have wisdom brought on by age and so I courageously respond; “not at all, darling”. And so Tracy has started “THE 20”

ChrisY

LOL. Gotta love it when a non-plan comes together. ie, the planets lined up in the right place and time. :)

Uslanja

A spare 20 gallon tall that we had in the back room. It was originally purposed as a sump on THE 23 but we ended up using a spare 10 gallon that we had instead.

IMG_9091.jpg

15 gallons of RO water and the Reef Crystals have been added to the tank and a couple of 1200 GPH powerheads and a spare heater are getting things stirred and warmed up.

IMG_9094.jpg

CaribSea Arag-Alive Indo-Pacific black Live Sand (http://www.caribsea.com/pages/buy_it/aragalive/buy_indopacificblack.html) is added and the Mantis Rock placed.

2012_0129mantistank0005_edited-1.jpg

A black mylar backdrop has been placed but Tracy is going to change that to a flat black. A few more rocks were picked up a couple of days later as well as 3 Yellow Tail Damsel fish, 4 Astrea snails and 5 black leg hermit crabs.

2012_0128mantistank0032.jpg

2012_0128mantistank0031.jpg

2012_0128mantistank0030.jpg

2012_0129mantistank0012.jpg

Uslanja

The tank is not fully equipped or filled with rock yet but we are comfortable with the way things are for now and slowing down a bit to allow Tracy to work out her final plan of attack. Identification of the mantis is currently ongoing. Hoping to get a few pics of the mantis soon so that a proper introduction can be made. One unusual behaviour that we have been observing today is the Yellow Tail Damsels are going into the tunnels that the mantis is making and carrying out gravel and depositing it several inches away from the tunnel opening. Do Yellow Tail Damsels make tunnels or dens under rocks?

glampka

Yeah, yeah, yeah! You go to Mighty Taco & you don't call me! What's up with that?
We had an absolutely super time Saturday visiting Canada's wine country with both of you! We got home & crashed.
Wait until you hear what I got & how I got it. You won't believe it.

Uslanja

Ah man!! Now that waiting is going to drive me nuts?? We had a great time as well and thinking a Margaritaville outing should occur!! You were at Salt Water Paradise I assume?!

Blue Space

Nice! Those are some very nice and unique additions which has my wife thinking, "oh great... another tank!". Although, I think I saw one addition that is never welcome in my tanks. Looks like aiptasia... Kill it, kill it now before it starts spreading and takes over! :D
2012_0128mantistank0032.jpg

Uslanja

Hi Blue Space! Yup, there are four Aiptasia in there that we have found so far. We have one of Paul B's "Aiptazers" and looking forward to a little electrocution fun coming soon! But we have also been reading up on using lasers on Aiptasia and I'm trying to talk Tracy into letting me buy one! I want to try the laser on the Clavularia explosion that we have going on in THE 23 as well. Funny, Tracy gets a new tank and has me on budget!! I'm not laughing!!

Blue Space

Now that's just awesome! That should literally be a blast! Please post video if you can. :D Now the fact that she has you on a budget is probably a good thing as I would spend my entire savings if my wife, who is the voice of reason around here, didn't bring me back down to earth when I get all excited about something and go full throttle! :D

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
It's a baby! Can u tell what kind of mantis it is yet?

Matt leaves out punctuation.