Tek's 90 gallon macro tank!

tektite

So I counted all my macros, I hadn't realized I'd accumulated so many different kinds. I have ~26 of them :)

Rough ID:
4 types of Caulerpa
3 types of Halymenia/Kallymenia
5 or 6 types of red/green Gracilaria
Botryocladia
Sargassum
Ulva
Codium
Cympolia Barbata
Flame algae
Red titan
Halimeda
Chaeto
Padina
Scinaia
Couple other unID'd or small frags.

catran

Pretty impressive list of macro. More importantly, the presentation of those in your tank is absolutely gorgeous!
:)

tektite

Thanks! Its getting there...

Random pic of the day:

IMG_5200.jpg

jpsika08

Tek, couple of questions,

1. Your tank has Starphire (Starfire) glass or regular one? (The detail and crisp of those pictures is simply amazing).
2. Have you run into trouble with the caulerpa going asexual? I have some in my fuge which is growing at fast pace, and to tell you the truth I'm afraid of it and don't know whether to remove it or not.

Thanks,

tektite

Thanks everyone!

1. Your tank has Starphire (Starfire) glass or regular one? (The detail and crisp of those pictures is simply amazing).
2. Have you run into trouble with the caulerpa going asexual? I have some in my fuge which is growing at fast pace, and to tell you the truth I'm afraid of it and don't know whether to remove it or not.

Not starphire (I wish...), its just a regular Aqueon tank.
The caulerpa has not gone sexual for me. There's only one corner of it in the tank, so if it did, it wouldn't be a huge disaster. I've heard keeping it under 24hr lighting helps keep it from going sexual, a little easier to do in a fuge than main tank :)
You can always switch to other macros like chaeto. In my main reef tank I actually keep mostly edible macros, do dual duty of nitrate/phosphate removal and an occasional snack for my tangs. I do have some caulerpa in it, but only because a LFS pays me for it. The rest is red grape algae, dragon's tongue halymenia, several types of red gracilaria...I think I counted 17 different kinds in there the other day. There are plenty of alternatives to caulerpa.

Pics of my two sumps on my reef tank:
IMG_5189.jpg

IMG_5199.jpg

jpsika08

Tek,
Thank you very much, indeed I have my fuge tank lit 24/7, I also have some chaeto and today I think I have seen for the first time at my LFS some red grape macro which I'll buy once I confirm this is what they have.
I will begin my hunt for different macros and try to make a nice fuge out of them.

You have an incredible tank and take some great pictures, I thought as if you had Starfire because of the quality in them. :)

DesertOrchid

Beautiful photos! I'm hoping the macros you sent to me grow as awesome as in my tank. Really like the goniopora too! How long have you had it? I hear they are difficult to keep especially the red ones. Good job!!!

tektite

Thanks everyone!

I've had the red goniopora going on 7 months now, it has shown good growth as well. The purple goni I've had 6 months now and it too has shown a little growth. Not much but definitely not recession. The green ones are the hardest to keep, the red one is from ORA and is (relatively speaking) easy to keep. They've propagated it in captivity for years now so its a pretty hardy strain.

DesertOrchid

Perhaps I'll have to give the red ones a try! I always thought it was the other way around with the green ones being easier. Guess I know what will go on my wish list next! Thanks!!