Tek's 90 gallon macro tank!

tektite

Well, my 150 gallon tank's progress has been crawling along, so I started another tank in the meantime. The algae growing out of my 150 gallon TBS liverock was awesome, some of the varieties were gorgeous. I knew that I wanted to put some tangs in there so I started this tank specifically for the macros. I'll be adding some seahorses to the tank soon, when the 150 gallon is ready for my SPS/LPS corals.

Here's a FTS as of today, its nice and clean at the moment :)

TektiteTOTMsubmission2.jpg

Its a work in progress, but I'm happy with it so far. Right now it has more corals than macros, but that will change soon. Once my 150 gallon is ready for all my LPS/SPS, I can get them out and stick to just softies/macros in this tank.

Right now the inhabitants are a very small CUC of a couple nerite/cerith/dibs turbos/nassarius/blue leg hermits, along with a ton of mini brittle stars and colonista snails and various other little critters.

I have a couple different types of macros in the tank, along with gorgonians/softies/LPS/SPS. Pretty much a hodgepodge of everything....I will be very happy when my 150 is ready for my SPS/LPS and I can tailor the tank more toward the macros specifically. Its REALLY hard to try to keep everything happy at the moment!

As far as saltwater tanks go, its pretty simple. One overflow that goes down through a filter sock into the sump. The sump has a heater, small fuge, float valve for a gravity fed ATO, and a return pump that goes through a chiller back into the tank. Two korallias, a CFL floodlight for the fuge, and a 48” Current T5 fixture top off the equipment list. No skimmer, the macros in the tank are enough. I change 15ish gallons of water weekly, and dose cal/alk, small amounts of iodine/iron, and pure ammonia daily.

Overflow:
P1150276.jpg

Plumbing:
P1150274.jpg

Sump with stealth heater, filter sock, fuge + light, float valve for ATO, and mag 12 return pump:
P1150270.jpg

Fuge with extra macros:
P1150272.jpg

ATO bucket, gravity fed so its very simple:
P1150267.jpg

Teco TR20 chiller (way overkill I know, but it works great!!!):
P1150269.jpg

Good old korallias, one up at the top of the tank, one behind the rockwork to eliminate dead spots:
P1150280.jpg

P1150283.jpg

Current T5 light:
P1150277.jpg

P1150278.jpg

Overall sump shot:
P1150265.jpg

I built the stand myself, its the one in the middle of the pic here:
P1060015.jpg

tektite

Zoas/Palys:
IMG_3854.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

Monti polyps closup:
IMG_3859.jpg

Blue leg hermit:
IMG_3884.jpg

Neon green hammer coral:
IMG_3860.jpg

Kenya tree with halymenia macro algae:
IMG_3861.jpg

Halymenia (dragon's tongue) macro:
IMG_3865.jpg

Elegance closeup:
IMG_3870.jpg

Baby elegance:
IMG_3876.jpg

Botryocladia:
IMG_3877.jpg

Dragon's tongue frag, its about 5" long now and I want to see how much it grows in a month:
IMG_3879.jpg

Trumpet with neon GSP:
IMG_3882.jpg

Clove polyps, the ones with white tips are new ones:
IMG_3886.jpg

Caulerpa prolifera (the only type I'll let into this tank):
IMG_3889.jpg

Blastos, putting out a bunch of new baby heads:
IMG_3875.jpg

Neon green toadstool:
IMG_3872.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

Aquarium pests :) Asterina star, hydroids, and one huge vermetid snail. I really like the snail, it puts out a huge web and its really cool to watch it reel it in:
IMG_3890.jpg

And my poor overloaded fuge in the sump, lol:
IMG_3881.jpg

tektite

I love to see what comes out at night in my tank. Using a flashlight to get some selective lighting makes some cool looking shots :)

Trumpet corals with feeding tentacles out:

IMG_4252copy.jpg

IMG_4247copy.jpg

IMG_4118copy.jpg

These guys were really sensitive to light and began to pull in as soon as my flashlight hit them:

IMG_4115copy.jpg

Elegance coral:

IMG_4117copy.jpg

Codium, Halymenia, and Elegance:

IMG_4240copy.jpg

Mini brittle stars, these guys are all over at night:

IMG_4187copy.jpg

tektite

Ball anemone, almost missed this guy (they can be hard to spot :) )

IMG_4208copy.jpg

Digitate hydroids. Hard to get a good pic of them!

IMG_4214copy.jpg

IMG_4222copy.jpg

White sponge, the lighting really brought out its maze-like structure:

IMG_4195copy.jpg

Colonista snails:

IMG_4248copy.jpg

IMG_4261copy.jpg

Huge vermetid snail, you can see its web a little around it (all the little white specks are caught in it). One of my rarest macros is to its right:

IMG_4254copy.jpg

Valonia :) The light gave them the look of star sapphires:

IMG_4251copy.jpg

tektite

Small cerith with baby colonista snails in front of Halymenia:

IMG_4246copy.jpg

Gorgonian with polyps out:

IMG_4230copy.jpg

IMG_4231copy.jpg

IMG_4243copy.jpg

Halymenia (yes, I know I'm a little obsessed with this macro :) ):

IMG_4170copy.jpg

IMG_4156copy.jpg

IMG_4237copy.jpg

tektite

Well, I think that my tank has maxed out is macro capability. The Halymenia especially has been growing like nuts and now I'm starting to see some dieoff in the macros. It appears that ammonia dosing is not enough to keep the nutrients up. I'll be starting to run CO2 today, and in a couple days I'll be starting to dose potassium nitrate for more nutrients. I'll also keep up with a little iron and iodide, and I'm looking into getting some potassium phosphate as well. Bet this is one of the first times you've heard of someone dosing nitrates and phosphates!

I should be getting my sumps for my 150 gallon this week, then I can get the plumbing done and get my LPS and SPS over to that tank. Then I can get my seahorses, can't wait!

Here's my DIY CO2 bottle. I'll be watching and see how it affects everything, I'll probably be adding 1 or 2 more bottles to the system as well, spaced out so I only have to change 1 bottle at a time. I'll be keeping an eye on my pH since the CO2 will be lowering that. I'm only going to be running it in the daytime.

The lower valve I open at night to stop the CO2 from entering the tank, the upper one controls the rate of bubbles, and the small white tube between the two is my "emergency release valve", lol. Don't want the pressure to build up until the bottle explodes! I just threw something together to see if its beneficial to the tank. If it is, I'll make it a little prettier :)

IMG_4834-2.jpg

DesertOrchid

Wow wow WOW!!!! Awesome tank and love those macros! It did throw me a bit when I read that you PUT ammonia into the tank but then realized that the macroalgae probably takes it all up. Any advice where I can get some of the halymenia? That is way cool and would look so nice in my 72 bowfront softie tank. Thanks for the photos!!

tektite

Thanks everyone!

Lol, yes, it is a little different with my ammonia dosing. I don't have any fish in the tank at all, so I don't feed anything. I dose very small amounts of ammonia once a day to keep the cycle going and producing nitrate. Its not enough to ever have any measurable ammonia present, it just takes the place of feeding.

Halymenia is a difficult macro to find, I've seen it on a couple websites but its usually seasonal and sells very fast. I got lucky and got about three different morphs that grew out of my TBS liverock.

DesertOrchid

OMG!! I was so smitten with the algae and colors that I did not even notice that there were NO fish!! Silly me! Love the tank !!!

tektite

LOL, thanks! There will soon be seahorses, and maybe a couple other fish like a pair of red mandarins (the tank is so full of copepods and amphipods they're almost becoming a problem!). Possibly a copperband butterfly as well, but the jury's still out on that one.

Uslanja

Hi tektite! Your photos are incredible! We love your macro's! Very cool!! We're following along.

tektite

Thanks everyone!

Well, I've been watching my main Halymenia macro for awhile. It was right next to a torch coral, and it seems it didn't like it, I don't know if it was coral warfare or what but the torch killed the macro where it was touching it. It was smack in the middle of the bush too :( So I had to cut out the dead parts, which fragged the bush into about 20 pieces. I tied the bigger pieces to rocks and spread them throughout the tank. Looks pretty good so I guess it worked out in the end.