Tek's 90 gallon macro tank!

tektite

Thanks! I used my Canon 5D mkII, with its 24-105 kit lens.

P.S. - Its nice to meet another Cat :) That's my name too.

catran

OOOOooo, way out of my price range, but thanks! I'll just live vicariously through your pictures then. lol :)
Yes, Cat is my real name... at least part of it. That's what my friends call me. :p

tektite

Lol, its out of my price range too, I got lucky and convinced my boss to give me it as a sign on bonus when I started working for him a couple years ago. You should be able to get nearly identical pictures from pretty much any SLR or high end P+S (though depth of field will be different with P+S). Just a matter of getting the right settings and a little patience :)

Uslanja

Nice looking tank! We have tried a few macros but the amphipods destroy anything we put in there in a day or two. We like the pods also, so we've decided to hold off on any more macros, at least for now. But it sure is nice to see your tank!! Feel free to post many, many more photos!!

tektite

I'll post plenty of pics as the macros grow or die, the tank continually changes. Like the green hair algae looking stuff in front of my red goniopora - I put it in the tank the other day and my blue leg hermits descended on it and it alone in the whole tank and have torn it to shreds! Oh well...

I had a lot of problems with amphipods too, they were eating my macros alive. My copperband butterfly and mandarin dragonet have helped with that issue :)

tektite

These guys were hiding last night, but can't neglect them! I think my she mandarin is really a he, that spike has definitely grown since I got it.

IMG_9696.jpg

IMG_9699.jpg

catran

Oh yeah, there's no way I could get those kind of pics on my p/s camera. Beautiful color on both fish. I love the deep blue and green of mandarins. Nice fish and pics.

tektite

Well, not too much going on with the tank. Mostly just rearranging macros to fill in the gaps from moving the corals out. Also added a ton of ghost shrimp, love those little guys :) My dragon's tongue halymenia is also making a comeback finally, have a small section in the back of the tank.

My favorite part of the tank:
IMG_0078copy.jpg

IMG_0092copy.jpg

Ghosties everywhere:
IMG_0082.jpg

Halymenia coming back:
IMG_0088.jpg

***I just figured out that photobucket automatically saturates pictures when you upload them :( I've compensated for that mostly, have to remember to do so in the future as well...

catran

Nice... Tek, did you read the Aquarium Fish International article on Macroalgae? You might really be interested in the current issue-June 2011. IT's an article on Macroalgae Forests. Talks about "seasons", fish, macroalgae forest animals. Very good article.

tektite

I skimmed it over quick at a friend's house. Interesting, but quite different from my tank. For one, that tank is kept so cold! Though it would be awesome to be able to keep metridium anemones.

catran

Yeah, the metridium nems are cool, but so are the beadlet nems....and you can keep them in your tank, if you can find them!

DesertOrchid

May I ask where you get your macro algae? I've been looking online as there are no LFS around here. Not having much luck. Thanks!!

tektite

The majority of my macros grew out of my TBS liverock. My favorite places online to get them are reefcleaners.org and Gulf Coast Ecosystems (live-plants.com). Their stock is seasonal and available as collected, so you may have to wait to get a particular type.

tektite

Saw this cute little red scooter blenny at a LFS and brought her home :) She's really tiny right now, only about 1".

New girl in town:
IMG_0816.jpg

Target (the Copperband) checking the new girl out:
IMG_0794.jpg

tektite

Target loves PE mysis :) I soak the mysis in selcon before feeding him twice a day. In fact, I had noticed the copepod population rising lately and was wondering why, my green mandarin is still very fat. Come to find out that the mandarin has started to go after the mysis too, despite thousands of pods in the tank! Quite awesome :)