Steved13's 250G Deep Dimension

steved13

PREMIUM
Thanks guys, good input. I think I'll be sticking with the i-Tech 400. It's a great skimmer, built like a tank. Many have never heard of i-Tech, it's made locally to me, very high quality cone skimmer.

catran

The stand sounds nice. I like the idea of an in cabinet sump, keeps down on the noise. Steve, so they don't sell the iTech other than locally?

steved13

PREMIUM
Thanks Cat.

I just ordered a 1 off matching side cabinet from the same manufacturer, so all will match properly.

i-Tech will ship, and work over the net and telephone, shipping costs are actual (I know your set for that LOL). i-Tech is a very small company, same owner as the LFS I use mostly. The acrylic they use is much thicker than most others, and very heavy duty. As long as it's a constant water level you don't really ever have to adjust it, once it's set how you want it (from my experience). I can get a nice dry skimmate out of mine. The small i-Tech that I have now is pretty pricey, but the larger one, that I'll need for the new system is in line of others with the same capacity. You don't need to double the size on an i-Tech...IMO they are very consevatively rated.

Last edited:

catran

Thanks, I'll definately get a skimmer from them for the 250 when I set up the sump. I am tired of buying crap that I have to replace later on. Most decent skimmers are pricey anyway, I would rather buy something that's highly recommended than pay a lot of money for something I will be disappointed with.

steved13

PREMIUM
They'll take good care of you. Tell them I sent you, they know me pretty well there.

jpsika08

You're welcome guys, I thought that if Steve was building something similar he would take some ideas :)

steved13

PREMIUM
Give me a week I'll blow that away...RIIIIIGGGHHHHTTT LOL

Nice Juan thanks for the inspiration.

I put a deposit on a very light used 1/3 HP JBJ chiller at the LFS, still warrantied $400 used for about a month. Wasn't my first priority, but I thought I better snap that up before I have to spend double. Since it's at the LFS I know he'll stand behind it also. I like the savings with no risk.

Dweezil

My Goodness...I'm absent for just a bit and look what happens! :) Congratulations on the upgrade Steve. This will be beautiful no doubt.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Best of luck on this Steve, it sounds like it is going to be quite the setup. Also, great deal on the chiller I don't blame you for jumping on it. May I ask who is making your tank? I was just looking at glasscages the other day and they showed a comparison between regular glass and starphire......you made a good choice!

Bryan

steved13

PREMIUM
Thanks everyone.

Bryan it's an off the shelf marineland/perfecto. I heard some bad things about glasscages, but no personal experience, just what I heard. If I were going custom, I would have gone with Reef Savvy, excellent cutomer service, (Some unbelievable stories by members here) and very high quality work. The off the self saves me a ton of money, and with the stand and canopy, and starphire for the tank view, I'm thinking most people (and mainly I) won't really see the tank itself but everything in it and around it more. I hope I don't regret not spending the extra for the custom, but I think it will be fine. If I went custom, I probably would have ony shaved a few inches from the height

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Can't believe I only just found your build Steve! I'll be tagging along.