Starting a new tank with dried out live rock?

Pat24601

HAHa, glad we kept you from overflowing. That was another question I see a lot - What type of containers to store transport water. I'd like to use 5-7 gal if possible. Should I ask food store/bakery/restaurant or buy from home depot etc?

Ordered Marco rock, should be here Monday/tuesday

My LFS sells 5 gallon jugs very much like this.

http://www.amazon.com/gallon-plastic-Hedpak-carboy-handle/dp/B009FQLEY6/ref=pd_sbs_328_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=310hEAdabpL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR120,160_&refRID=1HN73P7R0V8A2JC4XKA1

I find them a lot easier to carry than buckets. I actually assume what my LFS sells me is food grade. I guess I never asked. I hope so. Food grade is what you want.

I think most everyone does 5 gallon containers of one form or another, it's heavy without being too heavy.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I use the same jugs - got um from lfs

15532.jpg

MarkD

Thanks Glenn, Is that opening big enough for a pump if using an ATO? I guess it would depend on pump size hugh?
Ever hear of anyone trying a gravity method, like using a jug of ro/di same height or above tank with a knot or a valve so it drips every 30-90 seconds etc. for top off? Just thinking out loud, I read these stories of pumps failing, (actually sensors) and having small floods.

The Tunze 3155 (I think) looked nice but they can all fail. I have a closet right next to tank, just thinking of water jug on a shelf with small tubing going to tank so instead of adding water every evening it might stay somewhat constant? I'm guessing even that would constantly have to be adjusted.

Again, just wondering if anyone ever tried that.

Thx

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have had a swt for 6 years now & still manually top off - so others will have to advise... but from all the post I have read, I think you can trust the Tunze 3155 as they have two types of sensors both in use at the same time, manual & optical - for built in backup. Not fail proof, but I can't remember reading about one failing... it will fit in the 5 gallon jugs, as you can see in this vid

MarkD

Hi, I was looking at the BRS 150gpd ro/di, has anyone had an issue with water pressure and needed to add a pump? I read something about needing more pressure but I like the idea of less waste water and of coarse faster production.

MarkD

I know this is a loaded question and it seems like everyone has their own favorite but I'm looking for glue, epoxy, etc for bonding dry rock.
I'll probably try zip ties etc. but in case I want to make sure it's solid, I'm looking for opinons.
I bought the Marco rock so it will hopefully intelock pretty well.

Thx

MarkD

Ya, I was thinking I should have bought the mortar when I ordered the rocks but don't think I'll need much. I've seen jb weld mentioned and many others, was hoping I could just go grab something rather than have to wait for another order.

Thx

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
My Marco Rocks "locked" so well together, I bought it & ended up not using any, I ended up trading it in to lfs for a credit. Like many, I re-arranged my scape several times while the tank cycled, hard to do, if bonding.

MarkD

Thanks. I felt like I needed a couple more pieces and didn't feel like placing another order for like 5/10lbs (should have ordered more).
Do you think it's OK to buy a couple pieces of dry pukani/Jakarta and mix it in? Will it just cure while it's cycling?

I was told I could just soak for a day, scrub off anything loose and shake it out good then put in tank.

Thanks

MarkD

OK well I ended up ordering another 16lbs of Marco rock (should have done that in first place).
It was either pay $10.95 for shipping or spend another $13 for free shipping so I added frutzZyme 9 and it comes with ammonia crystals for cycling. Would this be better than a deli shrimp since it's a measurable amount or matter of opinion ?

He recommended it and I needed to add $13 so got that, some rubble and appoxy.

I'm actually going to start up tank this weekend (hopefully) if rock gets here.

Picked up ro/do water to start rinsing sand and rock.

Comments?

ziggy

OK well I ended up ordering another 16lbs of Marco rock (should have done that in first place).
It was either pay $10.95 for shipping or spend another $13 for free shipping so I added frutzZyme 9 and it comes with ammonia crystals for cycling. Would this be better than a deli shrimp since it's a measurable amount or matter of opinion ?

He recommended it and I needed to add $13 so got that, some rubble and appoxy.

I'm actually going to start up tank this weekend (hopefully) if rock gets here.

Picked up ro/do water to start rinsing sand and rock.

Comments?
Although ammonia crystals are fine to start, they stop delivering ammonia on a regular basis and once stopped, the bacteria that transforms ammonia to nitrites starts reducing their colony size as the bacteria starve and die off.

I would start with the crystals, but after a few days add a crushed raw deli shrimp in a glass or a panty hose for a longer duration, constant ammonia source to complete the cycle

MarkD

Thanks, I think I need to stop reading and just start it up ..lol. the more I read the more opinions I find.

I guess you use the ammonia crystals with thefritzZyme 9 correct,
I'm not sure if you add it once or keep dosing but I'll see what it says when I get it.

He was saying to add ammonia to 100ppm (I think) or whatever amount and then keep testing and see it drop and cycle as usual?

Thx

MarkD

Ok, got my last order from marco rocks and finished my first ever attempt at aquascaping. Hard to decide on a layout. I like two separate scapes with an open area between but also like the look of a tunnel in there.

I have to figure out how to show pics so I can get some opinions. I though I saw it in one of the forums