Starting a new tank with dried out live rock?

MarkD

Thanks, I decided not to use the old rock. I'm going to buy that marco rock. I wasn't sure about putting rock on glass but I guess if your careful, I thought it might need some sand under as a cushion.

I won't have time to setup until sunday or early next week anyway so I'll start with sand, one piece of live rock and a shrimp and add rock when I get it (might even have it by then or a couple days later).

Thanks

MarkD

Also, when I got the tank it had a rsm heater, I'm thinking I should get a new one rather than take a chance on it. Any suggestions, I believe Jager and Aqueon are good right (I know it's a matter of opinion)?

MarkD

What do you think about adding nitrifying bacteria or ammonium chloride to cycle or better using a piece of shrimp.
Sorry for all the questions, just want to look at all options and make the best choice.

Thanks

MarkD

anyone ever use "Reef Cleaners" Florida Live Reef Rock? Says "Cleaned and no phosphate leaching>

spiraling

What do you think about adding nitrifying bacteria or ammonium chloride to cycle or better using a piece of shrimp.
Sorry for all the questions, just want to look at all options and make the best choice.
Thanks

From what I have read nitrifying bacteria is hit or miss. It may our may not give you a faster cycle. With or without it you will eventually have a cycled tank. You might end up adding a good bacteria that your tank needs. I don't know of downsides to using it - other than cost.

I have never tried ammonium chloride. I have used bottled ammonia you can buy in the grocery store. It now seems hard to find pure ammonia without scents or sulficants. The advantage of using ammonia is you can adjust the amount of ammonia in the tank to build the bacteria. As your ammonia declines you can add more. A decaying shrimp works just as well, but you need to wait a few days / week for the decay to turn to ammonia.

Dropping in a shrimp is tried and true. The only real way to mess up your cycle is to either not put something in you tank as an ammonia source, or not wait long enough for a cycle to complete before adding other things.

spiraling

anyone ever use "Reef Cleaners" Florida Live Reef Rock? Says "Cleaned and no phosphate leaching>

I didn't use theirs. I bought mine of ebay and I'm assuming its the same stuff. Its from a dead reef now buried in the ground somewhere in florida. It took some cleaning but was fine. I do still have some phospates, but I really don't think the rock has anything to do with that.

Have you seen the BRS series? This one is on choosing rock.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
yes just active plan carbon
many like Jager heaters
I always just add a deli shrimp & nothing else...

Reef Cleaners is a quality operation, long time RS sponsor & John (the owner) has great reviews & customer service, never used it, but I am sure he has quality rock - would guess lots of the florida rock would be similar

Pat24601

I use Reef Cleaners all the time for my CUC, but I bought my live rock from my LFS when I first started. So, can't speak to that from experience.

MarkD

Anyone know if I picked up a couple pieces of dry pukani if I need to cure etc?

The guy at the Lfs said just soak in tap water for a day or two, then scrub and put in tank?

Thx

MarkD

I was looking at the CUC on the website, is it a pretty good amount if you follow what they show?

spiraling

I was looking at the CUC on the website, is it a pretty good amount if you follow what they show?

yes. if you don't have enough algae you may need to feed them a bit. but most people have enough :)
I've ordered from reefcleaners several times. good business. I have had problems with cereths arriving alive. John is prompt to refund me (not just give a credit). I just wish they had trochus snails because the one I have is my hardest worker. i wouldn't hesitate to order rock there either.

MarkD

Question, when you add a shrimp to cycle, do you keep it in there until it'd gone or test and remove after cycles complete (unless it wii be gone by then)?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
it's done both ways... me I just let it rot, once the cycle complete & you add a cuc (clean up crew) it will be gone overnight

just like a fish that died back in the rocks where you can't reach, the snails will take care of him