Starting a new tank with dried out live rock?

MarkD

Hi, I bought a used rsm 130d that I want to use as a reef tank and the person I bought it from gave me his old dried out live rock.
I also have a JBJ 28 gal nano and I was wondering if it's ok to set this up with some Arag-alive I have and thisdried out "live" rock? should I cook the rock first, can I just put in directly in, dip in boiling water etc?

The rsm I will buy live rock (haven't decided from where yet), sand etc. but I was thinking of setting up the JBJ as a fish only and using what I had to cycle it?

I would appreciate any help or suggestions, thanks

DaveK

You can use old dried out rock, but I would put it in a container and let it soak in FW a few days, and then clean it as best you can. You could also use bleach on the rock, but they you need to do several soakings in FW to get the bleach out before you use the rock in a tank.

Last edited:

MarkD

Thanks Dave. By clean it, do you mean brush it or rinse it? would it be better to bleach it? Also, I guess I need to put a shrimp in there to start the cycle or pick up a couple damsels.

I was thinking of adding a piece of LR to help start it out?

Thanks again

MarkD

I stopped at the LFS last weekend and he said if you start with LR, his reef water, sand, then you should put corals in soon after and they will help absorb the nutrients I think he said. This will help with algae?
I might have misunderstood, of coarse another guy there said he prefers dry rock so yoh can somewhat control what yoh end up with, even though things can come in via coral anyway.

Any opinion on carab-sea arag-alive vs nature's ocean?

DaveK

I stopped at the LFS last weekend and he said if you start with LR, his reef water, sand, then you should put corals in soon after and they will help absorb the nutrients I think he said. This will help with algae?
I might have misunderstood, of coarse another guy there said he prefers dry rock so yoh can somewhat control what yoh end up with, even though things can come in via coral anyway.

Any opinion on carab-sea arag-alive vs nature's ocean?

As for the LFS, very simply, LFSs lie. This is a way to end up with some very dead corals. No it's not going to help with algae.

Dry rock verses live rock. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Pick the one you like. Long term it's not going to make any real difference.

Ditto on carab-sea arag-alive verses nature's ocean.

MarkD

Thanks, appreciate the help. I think I'll use the carib sea/ Arag Alive Fiji pink I have (it's expired but should be ok?). I'm guessing I'll have to add more since it's only 20lbs and I have the rsm130d so maybe I'll mix it with some other sand if you think that's ok?

MarkD

I'll have to see what he says, maybe I made a mistake but I though he said:

Add cured live rock, their reef water or ro/di water, sand and like a week later start putting corals in but of coarse I know you need to be cycled first. I think I'll stick with the advice on this site :Tranquillity:

MarkD

Thanks. Funny, I emailed Carib sea about it being expired and they said no problem to use still plenty live. Their expiration dates are very forgiving.
I want to start up tank soon and i'm in no hurry to wait for things. I definitely want to try and do things the right way and take my time.

Do you think there's a problem using old dried out live rock from the previous owner if I soak in fresh water for a couple days and brush any loose debris? I was thinking of adding some new dry rock if needed and maybe a small piece of live or just all dead and let it cycle by itself using a piece of shrimp or fish food.

I guess the dry or live is a matter of preference but not sure if it's ok to use old dried out live rock.

I had salt water years ago but fish only and di pretty good but for some reason this sounds a lot more difficult. I've read a lot of horror stories so hopefully if I take my time and go slow I can avoid some headaches.

Great article about cyling

Thanks again

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I like this dry rock & free shipping

I would go this way before using the previous owners old rock I think... a value imo

http://www.marcorocks.com/dry-rock/marcorocks-key-largo-dry-rock-50lb-box/

50Lbc2000x__45486__44441.1313495163.1280.1280.jpg

MarkD

Yes, I think your right. I'm not saving much and who knows where/what that rocks been through. I'll check out that marco rocks, looks pretty nice. The lfs store by me had some nice dry rock as well.

Looks like the Fiji pink I have is 0.5 - 1.5 grain size.

Do you like to use a piece of shrimp to start cycling, recommendations?

Reactions: RBN

MarkD

Any idea if I'll need extra flow in the rsm130d? I'm assuming I will and was getting ready to order a refractometer, test kit etc. and figured maybe I'd get a Hydor Koralia nano, they have a 240, 425 & 565 all close in price (as long as I'm up to free shipping). THX

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Do you like to use a piece of shrimp to start cycling, recommendations?

I always use one... proven "old school" method

35/40 lbs - is what I like ... a little more open look - the Marco Rock is very porous

on flow... stock will work well, I added a vortech (expensive, but nice) MP10 - but imo the extra flow not a must, I would get use to the new tank stock & add in a few months as you add more corals and the corals you select will be a factor too, some like more flow... hope this helps

ps - one great thing about the Vortech - is the heat is outside the tank - attaches magnets

MarkD

THANK YOU! I appreciate all the help. The vortech is the one I want, I couldn't remember the name. That's the one with the motor outside with a magnet and the impeller/propeller inside.

Your right, I'll wait and get one if/when I need it.

I'm going to order a coralife digital thermometer, a refractometer (I have an old seatest sg meter), any recomedations on a test kit? API was cheaper and reviews were good but I've read mixed reviews on here.

Also, ever hear of that "hydorflo rotating deflector" not sure if I need it but seemed nice.

How much sand, maybe 30/35lbs? I was going to use my carib sea Arag alive Fiji pink and add to it?

I do like the marco rock and my lfs had nice gry pukani and tonga branch etc.

MarkD

Thanks again, so for 34 gallon rsm 130d it looks like 40 plus lbs for a 4" sand bed. That seems deep, I thought maybe 2" was about the norm?
It also recommends that sand you mentioned plus "garf grunge"?

MarkD

I've been doing a lot of reading and asking questions but will I basically end up with the same things (eventually) weather I go with live rock or dry?

I do like the idea of being surprised by things that would just appear from the live rock but I guess yoy have to take the good with the bag hugh

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
yep ^ that's the case lots of cool good critters & some bad with fresh lr - trade off... either way will work, my 1st tank (34 gallon rsm 130D) I flew in overnight $900 of LR, my 2nd (66 gallon rsm 250) Marco dry rock & 10% lr hand picked & inspected from lfs - both ways work - the dry rock does save $ and allows for more $ to buy corals

skip the garf grunge from many post I have read !

I have a 2 1/2" sandbed works for me... many suggest a ssb of less than 2" some say 1" or a dsb of 5" plus...