Starting a new tank with dried out live rock?

Pat24601

I've been doing a lot of reading and asking questions but will I basically end up with the same things (eventually) weather I go with live rock or dry?

I do like the idea of being surprised by things that would just appear from the live rock but I guess yoy have to take the good with the bag hugh

Personally, I believe in dry. But, this is entirely a philosophical choice. I strongly favor not having the headache of a bad hitchhiker over the joy of maybe having some cool things show up. Saltwater headaches are just such a pain that I like to minimize that risk to the maximum extent possible.

MarkD

Yes, I was originally considering TBS "the package" or at least the live rock but I think I'll go with mostly marco (dry), also check out the dry rock at lfs had some nice stuff too and maybe a piece of live to help seed and give some diversity. If I put a piece of live, do I still need to add some food or put a piece of shrimp or do you think the live rock wiil be enough?

Ordered that caribsea seaflor sand, refractometer, thermometer, test set, hydor flo rotating deflector last night. Dr. Foster & smith had 25% off yesterday so saved a few bucks.

Hopefully I'll get the sand and rock next week so I can finally set it up.

MarkD

Thanks again for all the advise.

Now that I've decided on mainly dry rock, I'm reading about phosphate issues. Is that something I need to worry about or does it depend on where you get the rock from?

MarkD

Actually, I just read something about their "smart Start", organics and phosphates removed, Hmmm.

Pat24601

As far as leaching phosphate, my understanding is that any kind of rock can leach phosphate. It depends on its individual history.

Personally, I just don't worry about it and use GFO. Too many things to worry about in this hobby. It will drive you crazy.

I'm not saying it's not worth thinking about, just that I don't.

Lots of folks have used both types of rock successfully. Either will work over the long run you get to the same place.

MarkD

Yes, I think your right. I'm just going to start it up, take it slow and deal with things as they come.

MarkD

Ok, I just got my Caribsea reef flor sand, can I rinse in tap water to remove crud and then final rinse in ro/di or no tap water?

I hear it needs a lot of rinsing so just curious.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
they make 2 kinds... "alive" and dry... the dry (what I have always used) you want to rinse, the "alive" you don't - Your asking about... CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand right?

I have just used like 5 gallons of ro/di - you won't go to wrong... my 1st tank I forgot to rinse, as many have, just takes a few days longer to clear... :nessie:

but see what others think...

MarkD

caribsea seafloor special grade reef sand, I think it's the one you recommended. I know I need to rinse, just wasn't sure if safe to use tap and then finish with ro/di but probably best not to use tap water hugh?

Also, I know I have time but need to order more stuff, I used to use a gravel cleaner/siphon for water changes, is that good to have? I wasn't sure how much you want to disturb the sand.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I use one... ssb & only go down 1/2" or so...

I have read some post saying they used tap... but I seen other post saying it's bad... I would use some rodi, but see what others advise... :nessie:

MarkD

I have a question: should I rinse the sand and put it in tank and let it settle first, then add dry rock (with possibly a piece of live) or add it right away?

I'm guessing it doesn't really matter but just wondering. I'm still waiting for rock so wasn't sure if I could start it without rock, get pumps running etc. and add rock in 4/5 days.

Also, while cycling should I leave lights mostly off, no skimmer and no chemipure or purigen?

thx

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
If you have well water, then using tap is fine, otherwise play it safe with RODI to rinse. If you don't rinse, it's going to take several days for the water cloudiness to clear up, then if you get a sand sifting goby, etc, they are going to make a bigger than necessary mess.

You can start it whenever you like, the sooner the better.

Jeff

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
There is no one right way...

me... I would add ro/di water to tank, add salt, run pumps mix to 1.026 (or if you are buying add sw) rinse sand, add it & start up, then add the rock and a deli shrimp, let it rot & start testing... no chemical filtration products, but you can add the stock carbon though... on lights, I ran mine a few hours a day to enjoy the tank and rock watch & increase this a hour or 2 as the weeks progressed - you can run the skimmer & let it break in, it may not do much

Cycling tank:

Watch for the ammonia to soar then fall to zero, then the nitrites soar & then fall to zero, then the nitrates soar, once this happens, do water changes to get rid of the nitrates - tank cycled

Depending on the state of your LR (how cured it was & how much die off it had), in general it will look something like this...

CyclingGraph.gif

MarkD

Thanks everyone!

Yes, definitely going with ro/di water to rinse. Once I add water and sand, will it hurt if I don't add rock for a few days or should I just wait until I have rock so I can add right after I put the sand in?

I may start with the stock skimmer and get tunze 9001 in a few weeks (I already have the media basket).
when you say "stock carbon" just any activated carbon?

Thanks

MarkD

Have you heard of aquamaxx dry Eco-rock from marine depot? I was going to order from marco rocks but this one sounds good too

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
when you say "stock carbon" just any activated carbon?

yes

On the Eco_rock
http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx...eef_Aquariums-AquaMaxx-UJ12111-FISSLR-vi.html

I would guess it's near if not the exact same rock.... from reading this...

it is real calcium carbonate limestone-structured aragonite we quarry in Florida

would not surprise me if Marco was providing :winky:
http://www.marcorocks.com/about-us/

MarcoRocks was founded in 2006. Spawned out of the belief that our industry needed a responsible "green" alternative to wild collected live rock. We quickly out grew our Mass Location
In 2008 we expanded into a Key Largo location and thanks to your overwhelming support we quickly out grew that location also.

In 2010 we moved to our current location in Homestead Florida, A fully licensed Florida aquaculture facility on over 5 acres. Now exporting to 7 countries, we produce all of our own rock products and are the largest producer and shipper of aquarium rock in the USA

Last edited:

MarkD

Yes, could be. I think I'll stick with Marco and it sounds like they can be immediately tanked according to marco.

I guess they clean them pretty good now so maybe just a rinse. I'm going to order today.

Do you think I should wait for them before filling tank and adding sand or get things up and going then add rock when I get it, wasn't sure if it mattered. Thanks

spiraling

Do you think I should wait for them before filling tank and adding sand or get things up and going then add rock when I get it, wasn't sure if it mattered. Thanks

I waited and added the rock first. I knew I wanted a gobi/shrimp pair and they tunnel under rock, so I made sure to have the rock on the glass bottom then added sand to prevent a rock collapse. You can also get the whole cycle going with your sand and one piece of live rock (which holds the bacteria) and a shrimp (which decays to ammonia to start the cycle), then just dig down and place the new rocks once you have decided on your aquascaping.

If you are worried about phosphates red sea also has a tank starter kit which supposedly helps with the cycle and the nitrate / phosphate aftermath. I didn't use it but I have used one of the bottles - nopox - and it does indeed get rid of nitrates and phosphates pretty fast. I think high phosphate early on are more of a risk if you have reused rock from another aquarium, but I could be wrong on that.