Srkd's RSR 450

srkd

All,

I will be placing an order for RSR 450 here soon and wanted to get your input on return pump and skimmer. Please advise.

Return pump: Jeabo 6000 or Reef Octopus DC3500 or other?
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Prime 150 Internal Skimmer or other?

Thanks,
Ram

pablomay28

I am running an Eheim 3000 Compact+ (a bot underrated for the tank) and an RLSS R6i skimmer. They both work perfect for me. I have plenty of water movement in the display with a Gyre 150 and 2 tunze pumps.

Tank
Skimmer

StirCrayzy

Honestly, I would not trust the Jebao unit for a return. There is a questionable lack of quality in production of these cheaper pumps that do not bode well for use in life support roles . That is unless you are within the vicinity with a spare when it fails.
Of course, any pump could fail anytime, but others will probably agree about the odds.

srkd

Any thoughts on Reef Octopus DC3500?

Is Eheim 5000 overkill for this tank? Not sure how quiet these pumps are?

DaveK

Aquarium pumps have had a bit of a revolution going on. In addition to the traditional pumps, the various DC pumps are now available. The Jeabo 6000 or Reef Octopus DC3500 are both examples of these new controllable DC pumps.

Now I let you guys in on a little secret. Except for a few super high end pumps that are very expensive, all of the other controllable DC pumps are made in China in the same factory. The only differences are cosmetic, and maybe some difference in the controller options.

This is one area where you can generally shop price. One down side of these controllable DC pumps is that parts are generally not available. This means if something in it breaks, and you can't repair it yourself, you buy a new pump. This is also true of many of your conventional pumps.

Now if money is no object, you get a Red Dragon pumps. They are made in Germany, and as you'd expect, they are out of sight expensive. Here's an example sold by one of our sponsors - http://premiumaquatics.com/products/red-dragon-3-mini-speedy-50w-dc-pump.html

srkd

I will try controllable DC pumps. Red Dragon pumps are way over my price range for pumps.

Are eheim pumps quite? Anyone using Sicce Syncra pro 1900?

DaveK

Please provide suggestions on my fish wish list:

Here are my thoughts on your fish list.

Restrict yourself to one tang. I know that doesn't sound like much, but tangs are big dirty fish and require a lot of space. This includes the foxface, since it's closely related.

If your going to keep anthias, make sure you can keep up with their feeding requirements. They need to be fed several times a day.

Anytime your going to put in an angel, have a plan for the fish in case it doesn't work out. Some will eat your corals others cause no problem at all. It depends on the individual fish.

Put the orchid dottyback in last, since it can be aggressive.

Omit the cleaner wrasse. Once and awhile someone gets one to accept normal foods, but most of the time the fish ends up starving. IMO this is one group of fish that should be left in the ocean.

You have 17 fish on your list. Your tank works out to about 120 gal. Typical fish stocking should be about 1 inch of fish per 5 gal of water. So if you figure the fish at 2 inches each that works out to about 12 fish. Also consider that they will grow. Clowns are often seen at 4 inches, tangs at 8.

srkd

Thanks Davek! Revised the list...i don't have to stick to the list. Please provide suggestions on other fish that would be a great addition to my tank. Thanks again!

upload_2015-11-29_11-55-11.png

StirCrayzy

Dave, you are correct that, early on, most of these were made nearly identical in the same facility, but I know the newer white RO pumps, and 2ND + gen Wavelines were pulled from Jebaos generic Chinese plant, somewhere around 2013 and manufactured independently of them . Yes, still in China, but many have noted improvement in failure rates over the last couple years (2014-15) using product from the alternate manufacturing sites.
Most of these are still pretty new, and have only been on the market for less total time(4yrs ish) than I would expect a return pump to last (5+ yrs). So it's hard to say anything is truly reliable just yet.
If I could afford a RedDragon that's the one I would use strictly based on materials and craftsmanship. Now that I'm near home most of the time, failure rates are less scary, and I wouldn't mind trying one of the others on the next tank maybe. Warranty support is also worth more than the difference in base price, which makes the bigger names slightly more appealing.
I don't buy anything Jebao that I'm not willing to throw away.
I'm not saying I'm any sort of expert, just been following other threads and articles around the web over a couple years.

Srkd, the fish list looks pretty typical, I would take a look at liveaquaria.com for ideas on which specialty fish might trump the must haves. There's more selection than you'll know what to do with, but be aware the tank setup you create will limit which fish will do well.

srkd

I want to go dry rock route for my tank. Which dry rock and live rock are recommended?

At LFS, i saw some non-live rock that's man-made but has a purple color on it. They were actually running water through them so it has some bacteria already.