Srkd's RSR 450

srkd

Is it recommended to use some pad underneath the aquarium? I have wood floors.

Also, did any one add a cover over the reefer to make sure fish don't jump put?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oxylebius

Some people have added pads under the tank. Some don't. What you need to watch out for is to make sure the tank is level, even over time. If it isn't level undue stress can be placed on the tank seams and you risk a rupture. I don't have anything under my tank, on hardwood floors, b/c I worry that overtime it would becomes un-level.

Some people add covers over their tanks, hoods, or screens. All of these help to prevent fish from jumping out. Depending on your tank, adding a screen over the top of it can work better then a hood. Now some fish are more prone to jumping out then others are, so it is good to research your fish before you purchase them to make sure you get proper fish for the size and type of tank you have.

StirCrayzy

If you are worried about floor damage, use a thin sheet of ABS, or other plastic, not foam. Or even a bunch of those rigid furniture sliders. I think they are some kind of injection molded Teflon.
Many people use foam pads under flat bottom glass tanks with no plastic frame, between the glass and top of the stand.
There is no reason I can think of to advise foam under a stand.

srkd

Thanks! For the screen, is there a clear plastic grid that i could buy? Not sure what options r available out there.

Oxylebius

If your tank is a standard size, you might have luck doing an online search for aquarium tank screen tops.

StirCrayzy

Unfortunately I doubt you'll find one aesthetically pleasing enough for the top of a rimless open top tank.
I bet somebody must be developing something for the REEFER series.
@Mayja know any insider info?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The tank has little knobs/feet on the bottom of the tank, just an FYI. The cabinet/stand is padded for the area of the tank and sump already.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Unfortunately I doubt you'll find one aesthetically pleasing enough for the top of a rimless open top tank.
I bet somebody must be developing something for the REEFER series.
@Mayja know any insider info?

No insider info here. I personally will be using the Bulk Reef Supply kit to make a screen top for my RSR 450.

srkd

Do i need to buy any additional tubing for the return pump? Any other items required to put together the aquarium and plumbing?

srkd

75c6da4d0038db44524017fcad48e78d.jpg

1ac716aae98ebee58df8f27ed1bedbf9.jpg

0de9db97a64b3c2a85e7c3faebafe0e0.jpg

srkd

Yep! The tank has just arrived. This weekend is gonna be a busy one.

Any suggestions on a salt water mixing container? rectangular and around 50g capacity. Please advise where to look.

StirCrayzy

If you want it for startup, just skip it and mix salt in the tank.

If you want one for water changes, try a Rubbermaid brute , very common in hardware stores 20g-32g .
If 50g is what you want Glenn is on point with Tractor /Farm supply, just make sure it's food grade plastic.

srkd

Thanks!

I want to keep the storage tanks in my utility room so not sure if two 32g brute containers will fit. Is anyone using just one container to store RO/DI water and mix salt a day before water changes? does the container need to be rinsed after salt water to store RO/DI water?