Should I do it?

lcstorc

I think I am going to go back today even though he is closed. The inport side of the business is open so I just have to get one of the 2 owner's attention and they will let me in for more investigation.
BTW Doni, when you come down here it is a definite stop on our lfs tour. Now that I know these guys and they know me I can pretty much do what I want and you really should see the import side of the biz. Very interresting. Plus he tends to stock things I don't see very often elsewhere like harlequins and sexy shrimp. Throw in the fact that he is the supplier for Trident and you can see what I mean. The import side though is not corals. For those he brings them back from somewhere in Miami. He does major fish and inverts as well as LR etc on the import side. Really cool to look around though. Since he ships everywhere I am sure he has oxygen for the bags on anything you decide you want to bring home. :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Allen - I read a ton of info yesterday about leveling aquariums. It seems that rigid foam is good for slight non-planar areas between the tank and stand surface but it is NOT meant to correct unlevel stands. Leveling should be fixed between the floor and stand.

Lynn- they supply Trident!? We will have to check them out for sure! :)

lcstorc

Allen - I read a ton of info yesterday about leveling aquariums. It seems that rigid foam is good for slight non-planar areas between the tank and stand surface but it is NOT meant to correct unlevel stands. Leveling should be fixed between the floor and stand.

Lynn- they supply Trident!? We will have to check them out for sure! :)

Yes they do. May not be the only supplier but Cat and I both got very confused when we saw the Trident guy (the old guy) there. Now that I know the owner he told me they supply most of the fish to Trident.
BTW he also does not like the N place or the stinky place. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

I agree that the "Stand" should be as level as possible before anything else. Just like building a house your FOUNDATION must be perfect or else everything else is exponentially wrong. It's worth the time and effort to do whatever it takes to level FIRST (at least as much as you can because when water is added there could be some differential settling of components creating a slight un-leveling). But even with all of the in mind the idea of applying a rigid foam (Dow board or house sheathing foam) bothers me. I mean if the frame compresses the foam under it that leaves the glass sitting directly ON the foam which in turn will apply at least SOME pressure to the glass itself. Maybe it's not enough pressure to cause problems but it's a point of concern for me none the less. Maybe I'll see what you and Lynn do and go from there *Evil Grin*

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
so DID you go back today? I think I am ordering Mine tomorrow. I just have to decide on 90 or 120g.

Allen :)

lcstorc

I was way to busy today with family stuff so I am being good and waiting.
I want to go back and price out the 90. I love the bow but the 90 is Oceanic and just looks better put toghether. If he will give me the same or a close price on the 90 I will probably do that. I know hubby will hate the stand on the 72. :)
Decisions decisions. I will probably hold off and make the purchase on Saturday. I do not want to rush this. I want to make sure it is well thought out and I have a solid plan before I buy for once. :)
I was just at Fosters and Smith pricing sand and it apears the pumps are slightly cheaper there as well. I already buy my salt from them and am on my last bucket so I need to order salt regardless. I was looking at the dry aragonite sand so if anyone has a better idea let me know. I think it was about $500 for 2 buckets of Pro Reef. 120 lbs of sand and 2 950 mag pumps. That included shipping so I didn't think it was too out of line. I am debating the substrate though since ultimately I want one or two blue spot jawfish and I think they like a larger sand. The seahorses aren't likely to care. They want hitching posts and I have a great gorgonian that frags easisly and he sells the red and yellow on the import side so I know I can get those pretty cheaply. I'll find a few more things before I get the ponies anyway. :)

rebekwl

Yay, how exciting!! I can't wait to see it all set up!! You'll be an awesome Seahorse mommy!

lcstorc

Thanks for the words of encouragement but the last 2 times I was not a good mommy. This time I am determimed to do it right.

rebekwl

You tried hard to keep the temp down, it just wouldn't stay for you. I'm sure having the chiller hooked up directly to the new tank will be awesome though! Those horseys will be super happy ;)

caitrina

Was talking to Matt in at Trident the other day about the $%#$%%$#$% that ran off with my 300.00 light here in Sebastian when they closed up and we were talking about other LFS and of course we talked about Hidden Reef. Also today when I was in he said yep you are going to have another tank before Christmas...lol...I rearranged furniture (rock) today and had a few empty spaces to fill so I went to Trident. Anyway, looking forward to my tank the 24...ROTF

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
LOL @ the "N place and stinky place"!

Allen, go with the 120 and safe yourself a painful upgrade later ;)

lcstorc

Was talking to Matt in at Trident the other day about the $%#$%%$#$% that ran off with my 300.00 light here in Sebastian when they closed up and we were talking about other LFS and of course we talked about Hidden Reef. Also today when I was in he said yep you are going to have another tank before Christmas...lol...I rearranged furniture (rock) today and had a few empty spaces to fill so I went to Trident. Anyway, looking forward to my tank the 24...ROTF

Who ran off with your light? I'll be mad at them with you.
Oh but why on earth did you go to Trident without me? I would have met you there. Maybe it was a work day. That would be a good excuse. :)
Yes I strongly suspect the 24 will be for sale soon. You of course have first dibs if you are really interrested.

bluespotjawfish

I'd go for the 90 myself!

As for the jawfish, the CaribSea Special Grade Reef Sand works well because it has different gradients in it. The last stuff I got was a single size and doesn't work well at all, it collapses! I would also add lots of rubble to get the larger sizes that they like. No need to spend your money on live sand either.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/saltwater-fish/16244-bluespot-club-83.html#post283027

If you do the Bluespot jawfish, I would just get one of them based on my experience (and I guess your's as well). If you want multiple jawfish the pearlies would probably be a better choice.

boozeman

will today be the day Lynn comes back home with a new tank in the back of her car? ....stay tuned for the next chapter :lurk:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok I re-priced my set-up as a 120g and JUST the additional tank space costs $200. Then additional lights, rock, LS, Stand etc that really puts Me at the TOP of my budget with little to no wiggle room. I would LOVE the extra volume but I just can't justify the extra cost. If I go 120 I would have to make cuts somewhere else (skimmer, lights etc) and I'm not willing to make those cuts.

Thanks for the advice but I think it's 90g for me.

Lynn, you gonna get the 90 this weekend?

Allen

caitrina

Lynn, Are you talking about that 90 Oceanic that was kind of sitting back behind the counter? That was a nice tank...man , thick too! He told us how much he wanted for that, but I forget...something tells me it was pretty high, but then again it is an oceanic and worth the price...

Soooooo, are you at the LFS today...you know Trident is open on Mondays..lol, that was just some info I thought you might need for future use, just in case......

As a matter of fact I bought some sun polyps there yesterday...yes I moved some rock around and created some bare spaces so I had to fill it up...sigh :snshne:

lcstorc

Lynn, Are you talking about that 90 Oceanic that was kind of sitting back behind the counter? That was a nice tank...man , thick too! He told us how much he wanted for that, but I forget...something tells me it was pretty high, but then again it is an oceanic and worth the price...

Soooooo, are you at the LFS today...you know Trident is open on Mondays..lol, that was just some info I thought you might need for future use, just in case......

As a matter of fact I bought some sun polyps there yesterday...yes I moved some rock around and created some bare spaces so I had to fill it up...sigh :snshne:

That is exactly the tank I am talking about. The price he had on it included mh lights a wet dry and some other stuff I don't want or need so I want to see what he will do for just the tank and stand. It is a gorgeous tank and if he comes near to the price of the bow, that is the one I will get. It just looks better made and the stand is way better.

No guys today is not the day. The owner had to fly to Philly to return his kids to their mother so he was not there today and I think I will get a better deal from him than one of the employees. I am going to try to leave work early tomorrow so I can go talk pricing with him on the 90. We already figured everything out on the bow and the lights, pumps, and rocks will be the same between the two. It all comes down to the tank and stand. We will see what he says tomorrow. I have pretty much decided that I am getting one of the two so new tank will be arriving shortly. I will likely make the deal tomorrow but not pick it up till the weekend. I am thinking tank, stand, and pumps on Sat so hubby can do the plumbing for the sump/skimmer and I can fill it with water. Then go for the LR on Sunday. Substrate will wait a bit while I decide what the jawfish want then it will sit for a while with probably a cleaning crew after the cycle. Then the real fun begins.
Lorraine, I was trying to decide between one one two BSJ. You really think one is better? It will be a while regardless but a plan is a good thing to have. :)
Panmanmatt where are you? LOL. What kind of ponies do you recommend and how many do you think I should keep in the 72 or the 90?
Eventually I would love to try to breed them so I would prefer to avoid the ones that don't hitch as babies but that is a long way off so it is a minor consideration. If they are the most likely to survive then I will go with that and give up on the breeding attempt. From what I understand it is quite difficult regardless.
Thanks for everyone's good wishes and help. Expect a new tank thread with pics late this weekend. :) No I will not make you wait. I'll let everyone know what I decide once I have decided. LOL Of course I am a Gemini so I may not every make up my mind. :)

billyr98

oceanic tanks are awesome tanks... i think maybe a custom starphire tank for those pretty ponies :) Good luck with your new purchase...

lcstorc

oceanic tanks are awesome tanks... i think maybe a custom starphire tank for those pretty ponies :) Good luck with your new purchase...

Now you are trying to get me in real trouble. Hubby is just not going to go for the custom starfire no matter how awesome if would be.
I really did like the quality of the Oceanic a lot better though the bow looked pretty cool. Hopefully I can leave work early and talk numbers again and see what the price difference actually is. I know the bows are more because they are bows and the Oceanic is more because of the quality. I am hoping the two will come close to balancing out. I am expecting the 90 to be more but hopefully not too much. :)