Seth's RSM 500

Wolffman64

No, I haven't got a fuge. I was told that the ones he had in the shop eats both frozen brine and lobster eggs, which I have at home. They were all quite "fat" in his tank, so I hope he was right.

I whish there was someone here in oz that could supply pods, like you can buy them in the US.

yeah i know what you mean!! if it helps, i have a separate tank that I'm currently using to breed some pods, and atm its crawling with em! so if you ever want feel free to come grab some LR from it to seed your system!

Oxylebius

It happens. Mysid shrimp can have a population explosion if there aren't predators around consuming them. When I set up my 250l tank, it only had cuc in it for the first 5 months and the Mysids went crazy breeding.

Wolffman64

yeah i know what you mean!! if it helps, i have a separate tank that I'm currently using to breed some pods, and atm its crawling with em! so if you ever want feel free to come grab some LR from it to seed your system!

That would be great mate! We need to sort out a "tank meet & greet" soon, I just need to get the next two weekend over and done with.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You should do it on the weekend that everyone is doing the meet in Sydney! :) I'm thinking about coming up again!

No worries mate. I'm always keen for a meet and greet! And the weekend that everything is syd sounds great too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a really awesome fan coral the other day, and on it I found a very interesting snail that I haven't ever seen before.
42faa173a1d84ce4089f9df8dae28ee8.jpg

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Que?? What meet in Sydney?

Unconfirmed yet haha but it's being organised at the moment :) I thought you were perving on The Reefuge haha its there and I thinks it's either going to be held at Asquith's new store or the new Reef River Reptile store :) I know he's keen at Asquith though and I'm contemplating joining in too

Wolffman64

Unconfirmed yet haha but it's being organised at the moment :) I thought you were perving on The Reefuge haha its there and I thinks it's either going to be held at Asquith's new store or the new Reef River Reptile store :) I know he's keen at Asquith though and I'm contemplating joining in too

Yep I am, and I knew nothing was confirmed, that's why I thought it was something else that I had missed, lol. I will definitely go, would be fun to meet up there.

Hay all.... its been a hectic few weeks so haven't shared too much about the tank progress, so here we go.....
The tank has been doing absolutely fantastically, and all my chemistry seems very stable:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitate 5ppm
Phosphate 0ppm
Calc 420ppm
Alk 9degrees
Salinity 1.026
Ph 8.2
temp 24.4-25.5 oC depending on time of day

I have added a few things to the tank, most of which i took from a friend whom thought he would enjoy a marine tank, but after 2 months realised he went about it the wrong way and was left with major issues.

Most of the fish he had died, but to my surprise he was left with a Moorish Idol and Sailfin tang which were completely covered in Ich. I put both fish into my HT and after only a short few days, both fish were completely fine without any treatment. However I was always concerned about the idol considering he only ate nori and never showed any interest in any other food.

After a few days i decided to put the sailfin in DT, and he has absolutely flourished in there (even with my other two tangs) YAY!!!!
I assumed that the moorish idol was probably not going to survive, but i decided to try something. I wrapped pellets and frozen food in nori around a PVC pipe, and stuck that in the tank, in the hope that he would start to sample them. After a week of doing so, the idol seemed to take a liking to pellets!!!! (wooooohoooo!!!) and now after 5 weeks, he too is in the DT and absolutely devours anything i put in the tank!!

when i got him, his dorsal fin was very short and he looked very thin, now i am noticing a very well fed, brightly coloured, ich free, long finned idol! Thats not to say that battle is over, as i am well aware that keeping these fish long term is very hard and often doesn't end too well, but i feel that i have got this far with the fish, so why not keep trying!

Other then this, i have added a few stromb, nassarius, and ceriths snails.

So here is my latest stock that i know of:
2x Maroon Clowns
1x yellow tang
1x naso tang
1x sailfin tang
1x moorish idol
1x flame angel
1x cleaner wrasse
4x fairy wrasse (variety of species)
1x sand goby
2x cleaner shrimp
4x peppermint shrimp
5x hermit crabs
2x porcelain crabs
4x stomb snails
15x turbo snails
4x nassarius snails
4x ceriths snails
4x BTA (two which came with the LR)
1x clam
quite a few unidentified snails, slugs and some what the hell is that thing

so here she is:

Oxylebius

And one more thing. Here's another cool shot of that interesting snail I found in the tank
62660600e1f9b5149618dbc9c87da946.jpg

That snail is in the family Olividae, Olive snails, also known as spindle coweries, allied or false cowries.
It is probably a type of Pellasimnia. Google image search for this: "Pellasimnia cf. improcera".

Olive snails are predatory sea snails. This snail is often found on octocorals, gorgonians, so it probably eats them.