Seth's RSM 500

No idea, but if I see anything suspicious in my tank, it gets removed.
When are you giving a class to show me how to take such incredible pictures?
Yeah i normally to the same thing with dodgy looking critters.

Do you own a SLR? if so i am taking all these shots @100mm F8.0 and between 1/40-1/80 second depending on the lighting.. Always try keep the ISO as low as possible to reduce noise, and make sure the lens of the camera is looking exactly @ 90 degrees to the glass as to reduce any distortion.
Here are some pics I just took of some corals and my peppermint shrimp carrying eggs.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Wicked shots mate!! The tank is looking incredible!! :yup:

The thing on the frag is a vermetid snail and my answer about it is... KILL IT, BURN IT'S HOUSE DOWN AND DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE :p But seriously they are a massive pain in the bum and are bad for the health of sps corals! The best way to deal with it is a dab of glue over the opening to seal it up and then they aren't a problem any more! :) That's what I do whenever they get large enough to affect anything or their webs annoy me.

Wolffman64

Wow!!! Fantastic photos!
When I use my SLR it all comes out really blue, even when I use the instructions in the photo thread in RS....

Wow!!! Fantastic photos!
When I use my SLR it all comes out really blue, even when I use the instructions in the photo thread in RS....

Check out the white balance setting in the camera (might need to switch from AWB to another preset), you can also enter the exact Kelvins if you know what your lights are putting out, and that should give a more natural look. Either-way, if you are shooting images in RAW, you can always edit the white balance and temperature afterwards without any loss to the image quality.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Either-way, if you are shooting images in RAW, you can always edit the white balance and temperature afterwards without any loss to the image quality.

A real key ^ ... in the RS subforum photography read up on the thread about Raw format !

Outstanding Pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolffman64

Check out the white balance setting in the camera (might need to switch from AWB to another preset), you can also enter the exact Kelvins if you know what your lights are putting out, and that should give a more natural look. Either-way, if you are shooting images in RAW, you can always edit the white balance and temperature afterwards without any loss to the image quality.

OK, great, didn't know that about RAW. What software do you need to adjust the raw pic afterwards?

Wolffman64

PC, wouldn't go near a mac :bouncebox:bouncebox:bouncebox

My wife wanted a MacBook, so I got her one for her birthday, but under the condition that I will not touch it. "If something doesn't work, go to the apple store and the geek-bar" :bouncer:

My wife wanted a MacBook, so I got her one for her birthday, but under the condition that I will not touch it. "If something doesn't work, go to the apple store and the geek-bar" :bouncer:
heheheheheheh!!!
I would have recommended editing on the mac, however you can still get the same software for PC. I find that Adobe Lightroom is a really good user-friendly mid range editing software... it takes some time to work out what each element does, but i find that with tank photography, the main things you would need to adjust would be:
exposure
highlights
white balance
temperature
vibrancy
clarity
(special hint, if you increase the clarity but find the images looks noisy, find a good balance by increasing luminance)

Playing around this those is likely to give you the outcome you are looking for.
I also use aperture from time to time, but mainly for images taken from my iPhone, as they automatically sync to that app.

perhaps when we catch up to check out your tank, i can give you a run through with Light Room

Pat24601

Good luck with that. I did the exact same thing and I was very clear I don't know macs and don't want to be her tech support if she gets a Mac. I still got non-stop questions about why doesn't XYZ work (and it's usually user error). :)

I do fully realize macs are often considered better for art and editing, though.

Wicked shots mate!! The tank is looking incredible!! :yup:

The thing on the frag is a vermetid snail and my answer about it is... KILL IT, BURN IT'S HOUSE DOWN AND DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE :p But seriously they are a massive pain in the bum and are bad for the health of sps corals! The best way to deal with it is a dab of glue over the opening to seal it up and then they aren't a problem any more! :) That's what I do whenever they get large enough to affect anything or their webs annoy me.

Hay Wrangy, check what it looks like when the worm opens up... this is what made me think Christmas Tree, what you reckon?
Also check out this little filter feeder that come out of another frag i just noticed..

Joeys Tank

Kind of looks like a Christmas Tree but I am not seeing the spiral yet on it. Vote is still out on this one for me.

Second pic of a filter feeder is screaming barnacle to me.

DaveR11

I would second Seth's comments about Lightroom. It has a fairly steep learning curve if you have not used that kind of software before but there are some great video tutorials on the Adobe website and you can also download and use for 30 days for free to see if you like it. It is really a photography database so if you put in the time tagging and key-wording images it is great for finding things later!