Sabea Anamone - Feeding S.O.S. - Your Help is Greatly Appreciated.

klla310

Hi, my name is Ken. I bought a beautiful large Sabae Anemone yesterday. I look great in my tank. My local LFS told me to feed them every other day and start today. Initially, I put 4 whole krill on top of the middle open space/section. The month won't open. Early this morning right after I woke up. I saw the mouth open big and wide. After half an hour, I try to feed it, it won't open. Then I took out the pieces of shrimp and chopped them and put them back on the mid open section. The food still left sitting there. Am I doing something wrong? When will start eating these food? How long should I wait before I start taking out the food if it is not eating it? Please help. Please guide me on how to feed it correctly. Please help! S.O.S. Thanks a million!

Best Regards,
Kenny

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Kenny,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Sure some others will advise... but he might just be acclimating to his new tank.

How old is your tank?

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Accumulating? *Grins* acclimating?

First off as Glenn asked how old is your tank? (Nevermind)

How big is it?

What lights do you have?

Anemone are VERY difficult to keep and should be only placed in very mature tanks under the care of highly experienced reefers (hence a mature tank cared for by a newbie still wont cut it). They require the BEST of the BEST in water quality, lights and tank husbandry.

Just for fun look at these stats from a trusted ONLINE source

Sebae Anemone
(Heteractis crispa)

Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
Care Level: Difficult
Temperament: Aggressive
Reef Compatible: Yes
Lighting: High
Waterflow: Medium
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
Color Form: Purple, Tan
Supplements: Iodine, Trace Elements
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Family: Stichodactylidae

and yet another exert from the same location
Acclimation to aquarium life can be very difficult for this species and its care should only be attempted by the most experienced aquarists. In the aquarium it requires strong lighting, porous live rock, and a variety of sandy and rocky locations from which it can choose to live

So is the anemone still "Tacky"? As in does the food stay stuck to it? If it's hungry and healthy it will take the food to it's mouth. If it's not... it wont. Also you can over-feed these animals easily. In the wild they don't know when their next meal is coming and they are prone to eat more often than they should. This can lead to some issues with the anemone and water quality. What goes IN must come OUT!

After reading your tank's age I HIGHLY suggest you take it back to your LFS (today) and get credit for it. Tank is WAY to young (I suggest 9+ months of STABLE tank not just wet tank) for this animal and IF the LFS knew this was a new tank they are GROSSLY negligent for selling it to you in the first place. If they know this information you'd be well advised to locate some OTHER place to spend your hard earned cash as they are out to divide you from your hard earned cash with little to no moral integrity.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but it's the facts and you deserve to know them up front.

klla310

I am asking for a solution or answer to my question. Not avoiding the problem. I want to know how to feed it and if I am doing it right. I put the krill on top of the middle open section instead of stuffing it to the hole/mouth. It look very healthy to me. I am not returning it regardless. That's my baby to keep. Please don't tell me to return it. I need solution, not avoiding my problem. Thank you. All I am asking is how to feed it right. Please please reply to my question, not any other non-relation answers. Thank you.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Accumulating? *Grins* acclimating?

oops that was a collector urchin
025.gif

Kenny - as Allen said... nems in new tanks are very very hard to have success with... if you read post in this Anemones forum... you will read post after post of them dieing...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ken with all due respect that's very irresponsible of you. You are asking for someone to tell you what you WANT to hear not what you NEED to hear. Your tank is too young and you're not experienced enough to care for this animal. It's demise will be a direct result of your actions. At the end of the day it's your money and your tank but it IS a living animal.

Odds are you're gonna catch some grief from most of the people in this hobby because we care so dearly for the animals we are ENTRUSTED to take care of. It's our obligation to provide the best care and environment we can without being reckless and careless.

suum cuique

klla310

Why don't you just save your opinion and don't reply to my thread. Keep your opinion to yourself. I am looking for information, not opinions. Thank you.

klla310

I am changing my water every week and have sufficent light and sun light. I only have one big anemone and two clown fishes in my tank plus 2 hermit, 1 nassaurius snail and 3 astrea snails.

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
+1 on big al said.

it is not an easy task to keep a Sebae Anemone in a new reef tank, not even by experts. most would say impossible even.

how is your lighting ? (good lighting means you have no Idea what it is)
tell us about your system more. do you have a deep sand bed ? skimmer ? what else is in this tank ? how big is the tank ?

another note to consider is that IF the anemone dies in your tank, there is a big chance of it crashing your whole tank !

Big al is not giving you opinion, he is giving you some IMPORTANT FACTS !

byt the way you post, it seems you are TOO new into this hobby and just dont want to learn/hear the truth. in fact Big al was super nice in his post !

what you are trying to do here is just like putting a kid in a closet, closed doors, not enough oxygen, no access to washroom and you are asking, how do I care for my baby ? TAKE IT OUT ! lol your baby requires a well cycled tank or it will DIE in its own poop !

your thread said help needed ! if you dont want to hear it, or dont want help, then dont post and kill the poor thing alone. you can find info on the net regarding this. feed it twice a week, if you overfeed it will die,. post about your skimmer, Im sure your lighting is not good or you would have bragged about it and so on.

klla310

I have a 28 gallon nano tank, perfect water parameter, tested every week for four week before I add it. Tempeartur 77% to 78%, salinity 1.023 to 1.025, ph 8.1 to 8.3, power compact light 2 x 36 = 72 watt plus moon light LED. Planning to add LED light strip if I have to. Let me know please. My more urgent need is to figure out the right way to feed it. I am not giving up on returning my baby. Please let me how to feed it properly. Do I stuff the krill into the mouth or let it sit on top of the mid section of the anemone? How long should leave the food in there if it doesn't take it? I don't want to contaminate the water parameters. Please help. It looks very healthy now. Let me know if I do need another LED light. Thanks.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
  • A) Why is your salinity fluctuating? How long of a time period is that "Swing"?
  • B) PC's are WOEFULLY inadequate 99.9% of the time.
  • C) Moon lights don't factor into the equation for "PAR" lighting.
  • D) You place ONE piece of food on their tentacles and IF they are healthy they will move the food to their OWN mouth. Never EVER put food into their mouth. Remember we need to think and recreate how they live in NATURE. Nothing "pokes" food into their mouth.
  • E) I fed mine 1x a week. They are mostly photosynthetic and will get their food from High Intensity Light.

You'll need to spend some time researching this animal in depth as well as some husbandry topics for the tank's over-all health.

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have a 28 gallon nano tank, perfect water parameter, tested every week for four week before I add it. Tempeartur 77% to 78%, salinity 1.023 to 1.025, ph 8.1 to 8.3, power compact light 2 x 36 = 72 watt plus moon light LED. Planning to add LED light strip if I have to. Let me know please. My more urgent need is to figure out the right way to feed it. I am not giving up on returning my baby. Please let me how to feed it properly. Do I stuff the krill into the mouth or let it sit on top of the mid section of the anemone? How long should leave the food in there if it doesn't take it? I don't want to contaminate the water parameters. Please help. It looks very healthy now. Let me know if I do need another LED light. Thanks.

1. perfect water parameters makes no sense and shows you do no know what they are. post your values !!!

salinity should be constant, which is hard to do in a 28G !! hence why its somewhat small for that anemone, stay on top of top off waters.

how do you feed it ? you drop krill on it, when krill gets close the anemone senses it, when it touches anemone stings it, and closes up and eats it momentarily, if it does not sting food, or eat, there is something wrong !!! you do not shove stuff into an anemones mouth.

your lighting is Not enough for this anemone, go with T5s, MH or add LED strip lights, PC lighting doesnt have much PAR.

signs of its health or not so healthy : open mouth = bad
loose foot = bad
not eating = Very bad

now, when anemone eats, it will have to poop and the organics in the poop need to be skimmed out. so since you do not have a skimmer, you need to run GAC meanwhile u get a skimmer.

JulesVane

Though I have no experience with the Sabea(?) anemone, I have had an LTA corkscrew anemone in my 90 gal. reef for just nearing a year. I have 525 watts of 14,000k metal halide bulbs, which is by no means "alot" considering a 90 is 24" deep. Not once have I EVER directly feeded this anemone. Not once. It has grow and in one of my threads under "Anemones", even spawned. Any time it has been "fed", is when I feed the entire tank population. The 2 false Perculas that it hosts, may grab some food from the water column and bring it to the anemone, or it may just "grab" it itself. It is my opinion that MY anemone lives mostly on light itself. It's rather tan in appearance, but when the halides go off and only the actinics are left on, you can see the green inside it like it was glowing in the dark. It is my opinion, that IF your anemone was hungry, all you would have to do is lightly LAY a piece of krill anywhere on it and it would fold up quickly to get the food to it's mouth! In no way would you ever have to "shove" food into it.

IXL

What are you? the real version of that evil kid in toy story 2 ? what was his name.... SID!

( This post makes me sick ), I think what your doing is a horrible thing. Wish rolls were reversed so I can see how u like to be stuffed in a unkidly enviroment ,be sick & forced to eat.

I can't stand how nice these guys been to you for you to answer them in such a rude manner. These guys bend backwards to help as much as they can, their advice are hours of research that they take away from your hands ( hence the reason why you are here ). Return the "LIVE" anemone & buy a new one when your tank is mature to suit it's needs. *that's the cure to your issue.

ToyStory_Sid.jpg

GrendelPrime

klla i think u need to step back and re-read what everyone is posting and try not to see it as people pointing fingers and yelling, your tank is 4 weeks old and probably going through a cycle and u dont have the right type of lighting to keep this animal and asking if u have to stuff krill into his mouth says u have done no research what so ever on trying to have 1 thrive in ur tank, the best advise anyone can give u is u should honestly concider returning him from where every u got him from and there is no thing as "perfect water" so please list ur water specs, and again im not bashing u but u need to realize pet shops just want ur money and we just want to teach what we know and help out when ever we can