Rumour: Red Sea LEDs coming soon...........

slotticar

Indeed, the S-series will come with 4 led strips (162W, 216W en 270W).
The E200 has 3 led strips (81 watt) and the E300 (121.5 watt) leds.

Parisian

That seems quite weak ...
With leds It is often advised to count 0.7 to 0.8W per liter, at least for SPS.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great find on vid !

Now we just need some member of RS that knows German to translate the highlights from the vid to English :dance: Anyone up for that task and give us a recap of what was said?

Aquadude

Hi Wolffman64 The aquariums announced via http://reefbuilders.com/2014/05/29/...ler-rimless-open-top-upgradeable-sump-filter/ will not be available until the earliest 2015 so no the range has not been released, the Reef Builder thread of 2013 is for sure a typo.

As I have stated we will have further updates hopefully in the next 7 to 10 days until then we have no further information sorry.

WOW!!! I would love to have one of those new aquariums. I would buy it right now if it was available. I'm buying my first reef tank and starting it next week but maybe I'll sell it when the new Red Sea comes out.

LakeLivin

Did a tour in Germany years ago but unfortunately never learned the language but I can read the sign that is in english behind the 500-S max and there is definitely going to be LED's for the S series. The tank itself looks to be the same design/dimensions just a different hood. Hopefully it does fit the current tanks and will be sold separately.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Gotta play devils advocate and I'm liking my current hood better than the look of that led. I'm a sod to please, sorry Red Sea.

LakeLivin

To me it looks a whole lot better than that other LED's out there. Most you have to hang from wires from ceiling or be able to clamp to the glass not the frames which the design of the RSM tank have. Not sure if you can remove any of the railing plastic around the tank to get down to bear glass or not. Maybe you can point out some good looking LED mount setups that you like that I can research

For me the best option is that we can get the LED hood from the new MAX S series tanks and mount them like the old T5's. If RedSea was so shortsighted that they did not make accommodations for this because of greed thinking we would all go out and buy new tanks and give away our current tanks for pennies on the dollar I think they just might be mistaken.

If I'm going to lose my ass on my current tank when/if I have to sell it, I for one will shop for another tank all together that offers all the same kind of advantages the RedSea tanks have that will allow me to more easily change with the times and not have to buy a whole new tank every other year or so when advances are made.

There were a number of local dealers I talked to before buying the RSM tank who told me I was crazy and they could build me a tank to my exact specifications including ATO for a lot less than I paid for my 500S. I don't look forward to changing out tanks, but if I cannot get what I want from RedSea then I go back to those guys and talk more seriously about a custom tank.

The bottom line is I hope RedSea is doing the right thing by their current customers, but if they don't that will deter me from wanting to do any further business with them. Especially how they went out of there way to try an convince everyone that LED's sucks and now the have done a 180 on the subject with no particular explanation that I've seen.

LakeLivin

My LFS store got the quote below from the RSM US rep. I think I will hold out for the release and/or more specific information about the setup before making the move to LED.

"The tanks and hoods that we showed at Interzoo Germany were prototypes and we don’t expect the finished products to be available until early 2015. The intention is that the new LED lighting units will fit the current Max S Series aquariums."

steveh

We will be issuing something official shortly which will answer everyone's questions, but for now let me cover the situation very briefly.
Firstly, we have always understood the benefits of led's (lower electricity running costs, less heat and no noise as fans are not required if the units are designed properly). However, we took a decision that until it was proven that LED's within a Max System provide the same performance as we achieve using Reef Spec T5 tubes, we were not prepared simply to jump on a commercial bandwagon. For us it always starts with looking at what the corals require, and then making sure we meet their needs. We have been conducting considerable research, the results of which will be made publicly available shortly. Lakelivin- I'm not sure where you got the impression that Red Sea expects you to simply sell your S-Series and change aquarium. We have always stated that the lighting was designed in such a way that when we were satisfied with the results of our led developments, we would make them available to existing owners, who we value greatly. I can assure you that we have every intention of providing a great solution for you all in order that you have the choice of changing to our LED system or remaining with the T5 system. For now we won't comment further as we prefer to provide you will all the information in a proper format but we want to assure you all that the system we have come with is based on real, significant research, and that we will be corresponding with our S-Series customers soon in order to explain the system and offer. Best wishes, Steve

Last edited:

Naj117

So I'm going to hold off on Radions for now then as the wife made it explicitly clear she doesn't want anything hanging from the roof and I only have to wait three months, also I am very confident the prices for the Red Sea LEDs will be much more affordable hint hint nudge nudge wink wink

Gerbil

Hi Steve

Thanks for the update, as someone who waited diligently for the brand new C model (250) as I thought that was he best way to get equipment as future proofed as it could be (I am aware progress will always continue apace) I am very keen to hear if the C250 is also in for similar treatment with regard to LED's

Gerbil

orieng

At least it is clear now that Red Sea will launch retrofit led kits for the S Series. I will wait till it becomes available next year. Another test of patience once again. :cry1:

LakeLivin

At least it is clear now that Red Sea will launch retrofit led kits for the S Series. I will wait till it becomes available next year. Another test of patience once again. :cry1:

Yeah, it appears that way so I have decided to wait as well.