RSM (Red Sea Max) Owners Club

azredsea

Hello! My name is Ashley, I am new to saltwater and forums! Just set up a new Red Sea Max 250 a month ago. Have 65 lbs of live rock, 2 Oscellaris Clowns, 8 turbo and 5 astrea snails, 10 hermit and 1 emerald crab. Currently battling an algea bloom and skimmer problems!

When skimmer is shut off for cleaning it won't turn back on until it is disassembled, cleaned, dried and put back together. Sometimes it takes a couple times to get it to work. Any one experience these problems with the RSM skimmer? Any suggestions?

Haven't seen that problem on here yet Ashley, but give Red Sea a call. You might also drop a note to steveh on here. He is a Red Sea rep who frequents the boards and has been very helpful with everyone who has had a problem with the tanks.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Ashley and welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Crew!

I don't have a 250 (130 for 2 years), but I also have not heard of that skimmer problem on the 250. It could be the pump that doesn't want to restart, or it could be the power center switch. You could try plugging & unplugging the skimmer power cord in an external electrical outlet to see if it comes on every time you replug it. That might help to identify if it's the pump or the switch that is the problem. Just an idea.

Here's a link to the last page of the "Ask red Sea" thread. steveh from Red Sea tries to stop in and help as often as his schedule allows:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/37228-ask-red-sea-7.html

We'd love to see the tank if you can post pics, or if you want to start your own 250 tank thread.

Sapphire

Hi all,

Have just found this site today! Great to see so many great RSMs in one place!

I've had my RSM for just on 18 months and love it. It's my first attempt at a tank, marine or otherwise.

Will post some photos soon - currently experiencing some issues related tolack of flow as the second circulation pump has died and is taking a while to get a replacement - all going well should be here by the middle of the week!

Just to give you an idea of what's in my tank:

Fish: 1 b & w oscellaris, 1 orange oscellaris, 1 striped mandarin
Misc: 1 brittle star, 2 maxiam clams, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 tube worm, Malu anemone
Corals: yellow sun coral, orange sun corals, xenia (aka "the weed"), various zoanthids, red mushrooms, purple & green mushrooms, frgospawn, octopus coral, gorgonian, modern coral, flouro green candy cane frags, green open brain, closed brain etc

look forward to getting to know you all!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sapphire - Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Crew!

This is indeed the best place on the web for RSM owners! We can thank Reef Sanctuary for setting us up our own subforum. The tank sounds nice! Be sure to post some pictures, or start your own tank thread that you can update as needed.

an0110

Thanks azredsea & REEFMACK! I have posted on the "Ask Red Sea" forum so we will see. Will post pics soon!

Ashley

misu

very similar setup here, just over a month and i have the same problems with the skimmer. i just called Red Sea Max and pinky is sending me a new impeller for the skimmer pump, that's the problem apparently.

Hello! My name is Ashley, I am new to saltwater and forums! Just set up a new Red Sea Max 250 a month ago. Have 65 lbs of live rock, 2 Oscellaris Clowns, 8 turbo and 5 astrea snails, 10 hermit and 1 emerald crab. Currently battling an algea bloom and skimmer problems!

When skimmer is shut off for cleaning it won't turn back on until it is disassembled, cleaned, dried and put back together. Sometimes it takes a couple times to get it to work. Any one experience these problems with the RSM skimmer? Any suggestions?

CrazeUK

As per a LED Thread, i got the replacement inlet head and impellor for the skimmer.
Which sorted the noise issue out. But my skimmer isnt collecting nothing :S
I do get foam coming up skimmer cup slightly but no brown stuff.

Also i have noticed if the water level is slightly too low, i dont even get foam in the cup!

Whipitup

As per a LED Thread, i got the replacement inlet head and impellor for the skimmer.
Which sorted the noise issue out. But my skimmer isnt collecting nothing :S
I do get foam coming up skimmer cup slightly but no brown stuff.

Also i have noticed if the water level is slightly too low, i dont even get foam in the cup!

Get yourself a surface skimmer from Coventry Aquatics.......stock due in near the end of the month.

That should sort your problems with the skimmer as you can have the water level much higher.

CrazeUK

Get yourself a surface skimmer from Coventry Aquatics.......stock due in near the end of the month.

That should sort your problems with the skimmer as you can have the water level much higher.

I have considered that, but seen as i cant actually put my wier comb up to any degree without the return chamber running low.. i dont want to risk it! lol

Whipitup

I have considered that, but seen as i cant actually put my wier comb up to any degree without the return chamber running low.. i dont want to risk it! lol

With the surface skimmer you dont have a wier comb so full water flow, and you can get the water level higher in the main display and rear chambers so the protien skimmer works better, plus you get surface skimming at the same time.

Just DO IT !!!

toibs

Hi Guys,

My Name is Paul, and have just picked up an RSM (130 - not the 130D). tumbled accross this thread, and to be fair got lost around page 18!!

I'm just setting up my tank now, migrating from a 24G D&D. However i know from past experience with the D&D that you could rid of a lot of the contents of the rear chambers.

Just wondering what you guys now have in the rear chambers? Would like to get the thing up and running ASAP, since i currently have an over-stocked D&D!!

Also, i'm sure i read somewhere that there was a manufacturer upgrade for the skimmer that should rid of the microbubble problems (i know the previous owner had these issues). Could anyone shed any light on this please?

Many thanks guys
Paul

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Paul :welcomera to ReefSanctuary & the RSM owners forum, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

I run my RSM 130D stock & I do use Chemi-pure elite for my carbon & I run the bio-media (many don't), I use it as a spacer as much as anything & rinse monthly.

On the micro-bubbles... I don't have any and my stock skimmer works "ok", but the 130 is a bit different than the 130D, so I will let others jump in with ideas here... related to stock skimmer - some change them out to the 9002 & ER skimmers...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome Paul! I've run the 130 for over 2 years, and replaced the skimmer after a few months as it never did much of anything, and I never could stop al of the microbubbles. Microbubbles are a common problem, even with the 130D, and Glenn is one of the lucky fortunate ones that got a skimmer that was assembled just right to not have problems. Just keep in mind that all skimmers can generate microbubbles for a while till they complete a break-in process. And a few microbubbles aren't harmful to have. I'd recommend starting up the tank per the instructions, and make changes, if needed, later on. I love my RSM and the customer satisfaction from Red Sea, but in my opinion there are much better skimmers out there than the ones that come with any models of these tanks.

I took out the bio-media 1/2 at a time after a couple months, and the only difference I ever saw was a drop in nitrates. Once your rock has the bacterial population established you shouldn't need any bio-media, or you can start up without it and just rely on the rock to take up the load of handling the nitrogen cycle. JBJ tanks recommend not even adding the bio-media from the start, if it's going to be a reef tank. They recommend it only for fish only tanks.

I run Chemi-Pure Elite under the pumps, as for me that's the place where it least affects water level in the back, and since I only replace it every 3 months it's a lot less hassle than pulling the 2 pumps to rinse or replace other media.

As always just my opinions based on my experience and that of others.

toibs

Chaps,

Many thanks for the heads up. I was considering putting some live rock frags in one of the rear chambers rather than a varity of sponge filters - any mileage in a tank of this size?

Never heard of Chemi-pure before. Whats it's purpose? I can see a few places here in the UK selling it, and it's not particuarly expensive - however not sure of it's use?

Looking forward (NOT!) to trying to sort out the microbubble issues. It's a shame really since i was looking forward to something with an integral skimmer so i wouldnt have to worry about replacing (unless it's an integral solution!)...

Thanks again (and thanks for the warm welcome!)

Paul

Sapphire

Hi,

welcome along toibs! I ran the stock skimmer in a 130 for around 18 months, and found it ok - I have sionce replkaced it with a Deltec MC500, as I have a fairly heavy bioload.

I have to say that I never really had micro bubbnle issues once the skimmer was run in and there was a bit of life in the tank. We did though cut slots in top part of the grill (the part where the cable run along) to allow the water from the surface to be pulled into the back chamber, to increase surface skimming. This also meant we could run the water level slightly higher. I don't have a picture sorry.

anyway all the best!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have often wondered why I don't see more post of people using the Deltec MC500 skimmer Sapphire - sounds like it works well for you... if I were to upgrade from the stock skimmer, I would give it serious consideration...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Glenn - it's not just the cost, but you also have to remove the glass supports in back that hold the RSM skimmer - something a lot of us would be afraid to mess with.