RSM (Red Sea Max) Owners Club

Sapphire

Glenn: yes it isn't cheap but over here neither is the Tunze!

Reefmack: the shims were definitely the hardest part of the installation...! It seems to vary a bit though as to how much glue is on them - I think Jasper managed to get them out in one piece,

I am really happy with the Deltec though and would love one for my upgarde tnak, but to be honest I think it will more likely be a Tunze at least til I can save up for a Deltec. It is a very efficient skimmer and I find I don't have to anywhere near as careful with target feeding as i used to.

gamma

I am a new user of the Red Sea Max13d 7 months things are going good but i would like to upgrade the system any mods are greatly received
Gamma

redsea reefer

Hi and welcome to RS!

You can look in our Signatures to see the mods we've done. For instance on my 130, I've got the inTank media rack with Tunze 9002 skimmer and a Vortech MP10.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Gamma -
welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif

JimmyJ

Hello all,
I am on the verge of getting myself the RSM 130D and after reading through this thread along with online research, I think I am ready to purchase. Just had a few questions for you RSM veterans:

With the stock hood, is it possible to do add an additional tank in the stand for a sump? If so, how would you plumb it?

In the past I had a saltwater (fish only) tank with about 20 lbs of live rock which I still have (dead ofcourse), would you recommend being able to add that rock in the beginning setup?

Thanks for your help.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and Red Sea Max Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

I run my 130D stock, love it, but lots of members have sumps & can tell you how to hook one up very easy.

Many start a new tank with both Live Rock & Dry (Dead rock) you could do that for sure...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Jimmy -
welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif
to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club.

Some of us do run a LifeReef prefilter siphon made for the RSM tanks, and custom sumps in some cases, and a Eshopps RS-75 sump in my case. The RS-75 is economical, but doesn't have a refugium section.

JimmyJ

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Do you run a protien skimmer in your sump? If so, I assume your not using the stock RSM skimmer. By running a seperate skimmer in the sump with the bubble trap, does that cut down on the micro-bubbles in the thank?

Thanks

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Jimmy - yes - I run a custom built Nano Reef Systems (formerly Euro-Reef) skimmer in my cabinet sump:

NanoReefSystems - the most efficient nano skimmers in the world!

Todd's company also sells them (same prices)

Buy Nano Reef Systems (formerly Euro-Reef Nano Skimmers) at Global Aquarium Supply

Extremely happy with the Nano Reef Systems skimmer and I have zero microbubbles in the tank by running a skimmer down below. The bubble trap in the sump removes any that exit the skimmer. Not much left on my 130 that is stock - just the tank, cabinet, and the 2 circulation pumps.

reefchief

I'm Dustin, I have been lurking in the shadows for a while now, studying up on salt water aquariums, and am ready to purchase a 130D... But I have a few questions first.

1. I don't want to buy this thing just to replace everything on it. If I have to spend much over $700 I would probably just build the system myself... What kind of reef/fish setup can I hope for with the stock setup?

2. I would like to get the 250 but don't have room. Can I increase the volume of 130 to accomodate more life in the tank? Refugium? If I do this what will have to be replaced/upgraded as a a result and how much $$$ am I looking at?

3. Lastly, is it absurd to think I can fill this thing up with coral plus 7 or 8 fish?

Thanks for the help everyone...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

1. I have ran a stock RSM 130D for over two years with 100% success (my first swt) - I was recently offered $450 for it & my cost of ownership will be about $300 if I sell and I have had so much enjoyment from my 130D. I just bought a RSM 250.

You can have lots & lots of beautiful corals & fish just look at all the corals & fish here... http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/37227-full-tank-rsm-photos.html

2. I run stock - but lots of members have added sumps & refugiums & can advise.

3. You can fill the tanks with corals (we all have) as for the # of fish, that will depend on the kind of fish & your tank maintenance & husbandry skills.

All the best !!!

One great thing about owning a RSM tank, is the RSM Club forum on RS, it is a wealth of knowledge to help you have a successful reef tank, with lots of great members !

Amo2011

I am located in Chicago IL and trying to find a Red Sea Dealer. Looking for a Red Sea Max 130D. Any assistance would greatly be appreciated. Actually any advice on sales would be appreciated to. I wanted to avoid shipping a tank because it scares me. I don't want a bump to compromise the tank.

thanks

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary Amo!

Give Pinky a call at Red Sea support in Houston - I'm sure she can locate a dealer for you. Most of us have had ours shipped - lower prices online, and extremely rare to have anything arrive broken, and if it ever did Red Sea would ship another one - fantastic customer support! No matter where you order from they almost always ship direct from Red Sea in Houston, TX.

Pinky's info.:

Pinky Bulot U.S.A. Office: Red Sea 18125 Ammi Trail Houston, Texas 77060

Tel: (281) 447-0205 Fax: (281) 447-1153

Toll Free: 1-888-RedSea9

pinky@redseafish.com

or

redseainfo@redseafish.com

When you get a tank be sure to come back and start a tank thread for us! :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Amo2011 - a few lfs carry them, but almost all in the USA drop ship from Houston Red Sea distribution center - they come on a truck and will bring it right into your garage, very very well packed... you can rest assured it would arrive in 100% condition. The only difference is it would be shipped to where you get it local, same one time shipment from Red Sea, except them the local dealer handled & moved it
010.gif

Look forward to your tank thread ! Cheers !

catran

@Amo2011
Where in Chicago? I don't know of anything in the city, but they sell RSM at Petland in Hoffman Estates.... There are some good reef stores in Orland and Tinley Pk that may sell them too, I've been to several stores that sell Reef supplies, Living Sea, there's one on Montrose around Austin. None sell RSM. I'm very picky about the quality of the stores. If they don't have a good variety/ are not helpful, I won't go back! Also, check Old Town Aquarium . They might sell them. Beware of prices, order online with free shipping if prices are high. It will save you the trouble too. That tank is heavier than it looks!
Good Luck!