Rien his RSM C 250 adventure

Rini

Day 20 of the reed matur pro program.
We slowly go to the finish line.

Checked the water:
PH 8.3
dKH 9.0
Salt 34
Not terrible after the mistake from yesterday with to much coralline. Today no coralline added. Just nopox.

Since the tank keeps a bit cloudy have put in an pump with jacket to try to get some small stuff out of the tank.
Think it is a bit better as yesterday evening. Still lots of small stuff floating around.

IMG_1529.JPG

Tomorrow day 21. Small water change + some water testing.
For today it is easy.
Probably this weekend we go try to get some clean up crew.

Desmond

looking good. You should get clean up crew and sand :) yet another step will be completed. Clean the black sponge when doing a water change. It will help clean little bit out of the tank also.Use the water you remove to clean the sponge in.

Rini

Meanwhile sand is ordered. Have cleaned again a bit the floor. Put the corals on the rocks. Still temporary location, or if we like it enough we keep them on the location.
Got an good read from Glenn about adding sand. Means I have something to read this evening in bed. ;)

Rini

Day 21 of the reef mature program.
Last day, then i'm on my own. I'm very pleased to have used this program. Things go pretty rapidly if I compare with my nano tank. That took many more weeks to come at this point where i'm now.
That tank was after 2 - 3 weeks completely covered with green / brown algae.
My Max, you see a bit green if you have a close look. It is not even close to what happend with the nano. Using the same RO/DI water.
It is an great plan, they take your hand and guide you the first 21 days through the proces. Good job Red Sea!

Ok the numbers.
PH 8.3
dKH 9.5 : bit higher as yesterday, perhaps because i did an +/- 5% water change. For the coming days no need to dose coralline.
Ammonia 0
NO2 0
NO3 5 :remain on 5. yesterday cleaned again a lot of junk from the bottom. For now i keep on NOPOX till it is dropped to 1-2.
MG 1360
CA 440
Salt 35

Looking good so far.

Schermafbeelding 2015-07-18 om 12.52.13.png

Rini

Day 22.
Things going ok so far. As mentioned yesterday I have completed the Red Sea reef mature program.

From today i'm on my own, and rely on help from here.
Since my Nitrate is still around 5, I need to keep dosing NO3-NO4-X (nopox). Till around 1-2.
Then do 50% less. And see how things going.

Further we are slowly getting used to the noise of the skimmer. It is still like a vaccuum cleaner. But ok, it is what it is. Further no maintenance on the skimmer. When i clean the glass (where my hands goes into the water so now and then) sometimes it goes bezerk. Most of the times it keep running fine. For what I can tell, I think it is a reliable piece of equipment.

Time for some photo's. Corals slowly waking up. It is an dark summer day. Rain, cold 15C. brrrrrr.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Looking good !

we love BIG pics :cheers:

IMG_1692.jpg

Rini

The only thing wath bothers me a bit is the blue photo's. Everything is blue. Making photos with an iphone. Even my Canon point and shoot result in blue. waahhhhhhhh.

Rini

Going to try that. Thanks once again for your help!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Rini

Didnt find the right option yet. Will dive into it a bit more.

Day 23.
I thought my water was very cloudy. After more investigation it seems that it are air bubbels. Started to search.
Found an topic from Red sea on this forum. I'm going to try that.
My water level was 1 cm above optimum. Have removed a bit water. It is now at optimum level.
Skimmer adjuster in the lowest position.
Lets see how things turn out now.

Hi, the intention of the supplied white air control valve was meant to assist when first setting the system up, can I suggest you remove the air control valve as soon as practical.

Can I suggest the following procedure.

The following covers some set up tips which should quickly stabilise the performance of the skimmer.

1. Ensure the aquarium is running at the optimum water level and not above.

2. Using a plastic jug and storage bucket remove enough water to reduce the run level by 1cm below optimum.

3. Ensure the skim adjuster on the protein skimmer is set at its lowest position.

4. Remove the white air control valve fully.

5. At this point the skimmer may start to over skim filling the collection cup, allow the collection cup to fill 2 to 4 times before the skimmer settles, discard any of the water collected in the collection cup during this 2 to 4 fill time, DO NOT RETURN IT TO THE AQUARIUM.

6. The skimmer should now start to skim normally, in removing the air control valve you have increased the amount of air and reduced the amount of water in the skimmer body allowing a bigger expansion area in the neck of the skimmer body below the skimmer cup, this allows the skimmer to breath and increases the volume within the skimmer body for skimate to form.

7. You can now slowly return any removed water to the aquarium and top up with new salted water as necessary.

8. If after this process you continue to experience over skimming it is likely the aquarium has a very high organic content that is effecting the surface tension of the seawater. There can be many reasons for this including over feeding, the types of foods and additives used.

9. Please contact Red Sea Technical support directly via the website
http://www.redseafish.com/contact-us/

10. Once the skimmer has settled and is performing without over skimming you can then use the skim adjuster to

For now I keep dosing Nopox till my Nitrate is around 2. Then 50% less of nopox.

Meanwhile i started to collect the materiald for the RCP : Red Sea Reef Care program.
Don't need it for a while, so thats why i slowly start collecting it. When the time comes I have it.
It is expensive stuff, buying over time helps a bit, instead getting it all at once.

Rini

Morning Desmond.

No didnt get it yet. It was out of stock. Hopefully it arrive this week. Week still young.

Rini

Nothing has been added so far. I want to wait till we get the sand. Then let it settle down a few days. Check if there is a mini cycle starting. If not then probably we get some more members for the clean up crew. And most likely an couple of Nemo fish.

When getting the tank, I was thinking to put all equipment / test sets and stuff in the cabinet.
Our little one had their own ideas about that.

IMG_1697.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1698.JPG
    IMG_1698.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 6

Desmond

He he you may have to reclaim that space and lock the press :) Tank is looking good :)
I think in time more rock might be a good idea as it helps with break down of toxins. Acts like a filter :)

Rini

Will get more rocks in time indeed. Just wanted to prevent to fill it completely with rocks at start.
While adding corals and such, more rocks will come as well.
For me personally and my wife, we do not like to much rocks. We want more space for the swimmers.
At the moment there is 15 kilo of rocks. If we follow the guidelines, we still have room for 10 more kilo.

Rini

Day 24.

At this moment we are waiting for the sand. As soon that arrive we can close that chapter.
Want to get a few more members of the clean up crew.
Today added 4,5 ml Nopox. No coralline grow the dKH is stil around 9.5.
Capture.JPG

About water changes. Normally friday i do all water measurements, water changing etc.During the reef mature program i have done it now 2 times on sunday. And that was something I did like.
The smurf watching teletubbies on the sofa. Dad with some (a lot) coffee and all pieces to do water testing etc etc on the kitchen table. Kinda relaxing.
Think i keep this up, and do the changes sunday. Goal is to keep 5% water change as long there are no real mess makers in to the tank (can't find the right english words). As soon fish arrive in the tank i will go for an weekly change for around 20 liter. I have a few jerrycans for it. 20 liter is an easy number to handle. With 15 kilo rock & soon 20 kilo sand, 20 liter is close to 10%.
Don't want to make it too complicated.

Thats the update for today.
Next will be more reading. So much information on this forum.:cheers: