Rien his RSM C 250 adventure

Rini

No sand yet. Think i will get it this week.
Any idea how much is needed to have an sandbed of 1,5 cm?
Will go for live sand.

Desmond

Make sure you turn your pumps off for a while when adding the sand and skimmer. use a bowl to add fill the bowl and lower to the bottom and gently pour out. As you wont be washing the live sand it may be a bit cloudy for a day or so but nothing to worry about.

Desmond

I think start with 10 KG and see how it goes from there and if you want more then you can always get it. Does you marine store have a good selection ? Does it get its stock from Dejong marine ? Biggest marine supplier in Europe based in holland they are.

Rini

Will do that.
It has an pretty good selection. For me the shop is ok. It is around 3000m2
Will send you the link via PM. guess it is not allowed to enter it here.

Where they get the stock from, i have no idea.

Desmond

my god if i lived over there i would be divirced before i was even married. the selection of fish and corals you have there is better than live aquaira :hammerhead: you will need a bigger tank when you get hooked :) i seen the one i want just no price on it lol

Rini

Meanwhile i notice that my corals really love the much more light in the max.

I have an coral that was always like this in the nano :

Schermafbeelding 2015-07-14 om 14.53.06.png

In the max it looks like (sorry for the bad quality, my iphone has troubles with all the blue):

IMG_1514.jpg

It is an completely new coral. :)

That is a bit sad, the photo's i make look very blue. In the nano i didn't had this problem.
Because it had probably just 1 blue light.

Desmond

The white tips are a sign of growth i think looking good so it is. What types of fish and corals are you planning on getting ?

Rini

I made an wish list.
Some of these anemone's & Corals I can get from my niece. Who is having experience with them.
And has some frags soon.

Turbinaria green
Red bubble tip anemone
Briareum :we call it : zee gras (sea grass)
Elegance flower
Tapijt anemoon. (carpet anemone? directly translated)Don't know the english word. See picture.

Schermafbeelding 2015-07-14 om 15.40.51.png

Fish :
Couple nemo.
red spotted blenny
Few more shrimps, like fire shrimp. Cleaner shrimp ( have just 1 now).
Would like an symbiose shrimp with an fish. (Goby and shrimp)
About fish not really thought about yet. Not even know what is possible.
As long they are colorful and fit to my tank and keep away from the corals.

Desmond

Briareum ( green star polyps ) easy coral :) grows fast and spreads fast i love it.
Turbinaria green really nice coral, Elegance nice but can be difficult and will sting other corals !
Carpet Anemone needs a very mature tank the same as the bubbletip and also watch the bubble tip wondering around to find a place it likes as it can sting other corals and kill them.I would wait at least 6 months before adding the Anemone and elegance as they need very stable water conditions and a mature tank. I have my eye on an elegance myself for after the summer but giving my tank more time. I made the mistake on an old tank getting an anemone to fast and tank was not mature enough and it died killing near all in my tank.
Goby and shrimp pair sounds nice. I have a boxer shrimp i may get rid of i suspect him of killing some of my snails.

Rini

As advised :Have moved the rock formation a bit towards the front to have a bit better flow behind the rocks.
It is now easier to clean the back as well.
For now a lot of troep (dutch for mess) is floating through the tank.
Will need some time to clear again.

Since i had to move it a bit the formation has changed a tiny bit.

Before :
IMG_1495.jpg

Now:

IMG_1517.jpg

The flow behind it.

IMG_1518.jpg

The room is enough to clean the glass with a sponge. Did that directly.

Day 18 of the reef mature program.

Still very happy with this program. With my Nano I didn't do it. I just waited and waited. And it took much more time.

Today just added : Nopox & Coralline. Thats it.
Schermafbeelding 2015-07-15 om 13.18.15.png

Temp of the tank is around 25.2C at the moment.

Pat24601

Love the new Avatar! Not that the old one was bad, but your daughter looks like she makes an awesome team with you on this. :)

Scape is all personal preference, but I actually have my scape leaning against the back wall. I like to leave a lot if substrate room in front for corals that prefer the sand bed.

Rini

She is great. She love the aquarium. And always want : papa helpen (help daddy).
Will be lot of fun when there comes more life to the tank. Now it is basically just rocks for her.

I try to get her involved in everything I do with the tank. Cleaning, watching.
She "helps" with a lot. Sometimes I must put on the brakes: No we already cleaned! :) :)
Now we just have to watch.

It is fun. The whole family involved. This is something we all enjoy. Really priceless.

Few years ago i did some slotcars. Digital stuff. long story. Fun, but it was just me or friends. My wife didn't care for it. My daughter too young, still is. In a few years we can try it again with her.
Have a nice
This new aquarium hobby is for the whole fam. Much more fun.
This track below i still have in the box. As soon she is a bit older we can play with it :)
It was a few years back state of the art. Wireless controllers, digital. :)

Schermafbeelding 2015-07-15 om 15.14.26.png

So now and then i build up the track to race by myself or if friends come over.

Back ontopic:

Tank is still very very cloudy :)

Last edited:

Desmond

I like your scape now plus there will be much more flow around your rock and less places for dirt and food to build up. Are you going to add a wave maker in your tank ? A Jebao RW Series Wavemaker with Controller might be a good investment o get some extra flow in your tank or even a rw 4 they are pretty power also.Cheaper option to the ecotech vortech , mind you i am planning on getting one so i can have controll on it with my lights and wifi controll also :) They have a battery pack if your tank shutdown so it will keep running :)

Rini

Thanks!
I'm pretty happy with it too.

My goal is to keep the tank as is. Plug and play. So no extra pumps or other stuf that is visible.
I have totally nothing with technic to be honest. Some people like the technic part, not me.
Perhaps this view change when i'm a few years ahead in the hobby.
Still a beginner here.

Rini

Day 19 in the reef mature pro program.
Again an easy day i thought. But then it happend. Did an error with the coralline. Need 2,5 ml. But added 7.5.
The impact seems not that big. PH went from 8.3 --> 8.5. The dKH from 8.7 -> 9.
Tomorrow no coralline dosing.

Capture.JPG

This kind of things below give me an boost.
If she likes it, what else is important.

IMG_1524.JPG