Rien his RSM C 250 adventure

Rini

In the nano I did around 20% waterchange per week. For the max i'm not sure to be honest, didn't think of it yet.
How much water changes do you Pat?

Pat24601

In the nano I did around 20% waterchange per week. For the max i'm not sure to be honest, didn't think of it yet.
How much water changes do you Pat?

I change 20% per week, but pretty much anyone I talk to thinks that is very high. I think 20% every 2 weeks is more common.

Rini

For the nano it worked pretty well. I kept the calsium around 420 - 440. The magnesium around 1400.
Only the dKH I needed to raise. Added 0,25 gram KH+ per day. With that it was pretty stable around 9.
Must see how things evolve. Was thinking for 20 liter per week water change. Thats a bit below the 10%. Basically just because it is an easy number. I have an 20 liter jerrycan. And 25 liter one.
I can make in the 20 the fresh saltwater. In the 25 one i mark the 20 liter line. And fill with water from the max.
But it depend a bit how things evolve with the tank. For now i think ; keep it easy with just 20 liter.

I think i keep it for a while the normal water change way. I'm reading a bit about DSR, Balling, Triton.
For now it looks complicated for me as starter. And i want to know more about the eco system before i start with these things. Want to take my time, and no hurry. Goal is that the coming years we enjoy the tank. So no rush here.

Will start the measurements in some time for day 15.
More a bit later.

Desmond

I only test about 1 time a month now unless i see that there is something wrong. I would think you could leave testing for every few days now :) Red sea want you to test allot as by the time your done you need more kits again :) My advise on WC is i do a 10 -15 % change weekly , i will see how my tank is when i am back from holidays after 3 weeks :-O if i see that levels are ok i may leave it every 2 weeks to do water changes. As for dosing i would advise you to leave it alone for now as you could do more damage than good :) I do add vitamins for my corals. The way your levels are looking now WC should keep it in good condition and time for it to mature :) Just remember dont make the mistake i made with my nano rushing to get corals that really need a mature tank. This time around i took my time and built up over some time. When i come home i hope to get 1 more fish hopfully my marine store has something special :)

Rini

yes, not my intention idea to start with messing around. I'll keep following the reef mature program. Thats all.

Day 15 of the reef mature program.
Day 15-20 not very exciting.
Only dKH need to be checked. And Nopox to be added, and in case coralline.
dKH 8.4. Just added 2,5 ml to keep it at this level.
Further 7,5 ml Nopox.
Thats it.
Easy days coming. :)

Schermafbeelding 2015-07-13 om 13.49.24.png

Rini

You are totally right. I miscalculated from the beginning. I think i didn't pay close attention but the tiny letters show 2ml, and not 3.....
From tomorrow on 4,5 ml. Thanks for checking, otherwise I kept going for 7.5 ml.

A few photo's of the tank how it is looking now. The corals added are just placed into the tank to keep them alive. Final place for them is not yet decided. They can recover first, then i will choose a new place for them.

About the layout, we decided both to keep an very open design. We both don't like massive rocks in the tank.

IMG_1495.jpeg IMG_1496.jpeg IMG_1497.jpeg IMG_1498.jpeg IMG_1499-1.jpeg IMG_1497.jpeg IMG_1498.jpeg IMG_1501.jpeg IMG_1500.jpeg

Desmond

Your corals are looking good there the Zoanthids are fully opened , if they were not happy they would close so. How much room do you have behind your rock work. Only reason i ask is it is good to have some flow that can circulate all the way around your LR. Tank looks great :) How much live rock do you have in total ? 1 kg per 10 litres is the norm , but i know some go with less. For example i have 21kg in my 130 lol

Rini

The rocks are placed against the black glass. Only the first few rocks are laying a from it. Probably should try to get a bit more room on the back on the rocks that are more stacked up. So that it is a bit open there too for circulation indeed.

Thanks for the compliment Desmond. Always nice to hear!
I have 15 kilo live rock in it. My idea was that I probably add a bit later anyway. So didn't want to add to much in the beginning stage.The rocks on the right side (the higher part) probably will get a roof in a few months or so.
From a few people I know they all seemed to make the mistake (if it is an mistake) to start with too much live rock. Basically in my nano I did the same thing. Added 5+ kilo Live rock in it. 30 liter tank..
Too much rock.

I learned. :cheers:

Goal was to have the sand coming this week, but after the nano crash this weekend I think I better wait 1 more week. So much happend the past weekend in the Max.

Desmond

I only seen you thread on the nano and it was too late to tell you to transfer some of the sand if you had in the nano as it would have been live sand.I think 20kg to 25 kg would be no worries at all in your tank and will only help the cycle in your tank and for it to settel down but as you said we all do things differently :) your tank is well ready for sand and if you are using live sand it will be even better :) i am glad things are going well :) its tough at the start but when all smooths out you can sit back realax and enjoy all the hard work you have put in. At my rate i will need an upgrade soon lol. Running out of space :) just dont tell the boss woman she would skin me alive if i even mentioned another tank now. All money is for the wedding i have been instructed :) good job all my things are only 20 euro s :) if she knew the real price :deadhorse::outtahere:

Desmond

Ahh ok i think too much is not so good. i use about 1 ml per day now and will hope to use none in a month or so. My N03 is at 2 now and i want it to stay there.

Pat24601

If it were me, I'd probably stick with whatever the program is telling you to do for the cycle. That program is precisely laid out so I'd try to do exactly what it says until cycled.

However, as Desmond mentioned, once cycled I'd hope to reduce or eliminate it.

I'm not opposed to carbon dosing and a good reefer friend of mine swears by it. But, personally I just like to have as little dosing going on as possible.

I did use the Red Sea no pox myself for a while and it really worked well for me. So, I liked the product. But, I think I resolved some issues with nitrate traps in my tank and I no longer needed it.

Rini

For now I stick to the program. Does not feel good to stop with the finish line in sight.
My NO3 was last time i measured around 5. From day 21 I'm going down from 7,5 ml -> 4,5 ml.

As soon everything is under control, then I would stop dosing it. With my Nano I saw that the water changes solved most issues, except dKH.
On the other hand, not much was in that tank. Few corals and just LEO and an cleaner shrimp.

Further I have decided to stop with the skimmer during day time, when we are in the living room.
That thing makes a lot of noise, it is not nice. Like a vacuum cleaner or something. Must turn up the sound volume of the tv or radio.
There is not much to skim at the moment, so I guess thats why it make noise.
When we are sleeping it may make noise and skim what ever it want. When we go outside, or leave house I will power it on again. But not when we are in the living room where the tank is.
Created an small movie to demonstrate it:

Got myself a present a few days ago. Just a few euro. How easy can it be! Placed inside the cabinet.
During the night the temp goes down to 24.6C / 79.52F

Schermafbeelding 2015-07-14 om 08.38.50.png

Last edited:

Desmond

If you want to have better controll on your Temperature in the tank you could buy a STC 1000 temp controller. This will keep your temp constant. My tank always stays within .2 plus minus of 26 c . The skimmer may quiet down more when it is run in fully , but they are know to be loud. I changed mine out for this reason to a Tunze.I persinally would not leave a skimmer off but i know some only run at night and some dont have one at all. When it comes to these tanks they are great but do have some downfalls , noise being one of them. I changed the fans inside the hood and replaced the skimmer and my tank is allot quieter. I would think maybe in time you might consider to upgrade to a different skimmer and it will help allot :)

Rini

Good morning Desmond.
I saw some pictures on the net of it. Not completely clear what it does the stc1000. Do you attach the heater from the max to it?

About skimmer, my goal is to keep everything as it is. I have read more about the skimmer and that it will make less noise when it has something to skim for.
My hope is on that. If in about 6 months or a bit longer there is no change in noise then I trashcan it, and get another one. I have a long breath in that matter. I seriously want to give it a fair chance.
About the hood, I hear the fans when the skimmer is off. Same for the fans in the rear. That sound is acceptable.
I do not easily give up. So lets see if things go better overtime.
For now it makes too much noise to get used to it.

Desmond

Morning Rini ,
check this video out for the stc
I then directly plug the box in where my heater was pluged and the heater into the box and also my cooling fan. You will see what i mean with the video. I also have the correct wiring diagram as it is not correct on the unit :) For the money this is an awesome thing and not expensive at all.I am going to modify mine when i get some time and fit it into the cabinet so i can see it from the side with the plugs all neatly hidden inside the cabinet. I do think your skimmer will get better in time for sure.

Rini

Thanks for the video. Make it more clear to me.
What scares me most is this line: I also have the correct wiring diagram as it is not correct on the unit
That is for me already an showstopper.
For me rule 1 : plug and play.
I want to order something that is complete, not that I need to find left and right stuff to make it happen.

If you are handy I can believe this is a great device.
For now I just rely on the Max equipment.
Thanks for the advise. Very much appreciated.

Desmond

Its really simple to setup i can walk you through it amd also have the correct drawing very easy really to wire not hard at all :) Just a difference of put 2 wires in different terminals nothing hard really :) For money nothing beats it even the best stuff loads of people us these and they very rarly break. Saves a big headache if your heater gives out as it switches the power off so it cant over heat the tank :)

Rini

Day 17 of the reef mature program.
Seems I lost an day somewhere, since i'm on day 17 regarding the sheet I have created. Guess the weekend went wrong and forgot to add.
Things going pretty good. Trying to get a bit peace in the tank after the weekend issues.
Day 17 is just checking dKH / PH
PH 8.2
dKH 8.7
Dosing just nopox (7,5 ml) & coralline (2,5 ml), seems the 2,5 ml coralline daily keeps the dKH on 8.7

Schermafbeelding 2015-07-14 om 11.35.48.png

Corals doing pretty good. They open.
Leo & shrimp doing fine. Noticed that the shrimp like the moonlight. During the evening we have the moonlights on. And then she is showing up more.
Think i need to get her some sunglasses, the nano had not even close so much light as the max.

We are having fun with the tank.
It is easy to have fun when things going as it should go.