Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

tutuan

I'm so worry about my pair. One is so aggressive that when the light is on he keeps bullying the other one so i have to keep the light off most of the time. It leads to another problem: i cannot feed them (i feed artic pod). Advices please
Picasa Video

NaCl H2O StL

First off let me start by saying the you have a great looking pair of clowns there. Next, in my opinion, you need more aquascaping. There is nowhere for the fish that is being being dominated to hide out. I would strongly urge you to get more liverock and create caves of some sort. (short cuts of pvc pipe will also work if funds are low) Also more than likely, the dominate fish is becoming larger in size too. This will be the female and the other will become the male. It is like "breaking in a horse", once the other fish gives in, they should become a "paired set".

Frankie

RS STAFF
Totally agree with you NaCI. (have a short name?)
Welcome to RS :)
I see other problems there with this tank though. The water has zero flow tutuan. I would first start with getting the surface area agitated by pointing a power head at the surface. Not so it is splashing but turbulent. This will hep with oxygen exchange and provide the fish with, yep-oxygen :)
Then I would do what the new long named member suggested in their post. Awesome first post BTW. :thumbup: Look forward to more from you :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Tutuan - you've gotten some good advice so far. I do see the less dominant fish beginning to submit by 'shaking' so that is a good sign. It can take anywhere from a few days to a few months before they work it out. As long as both can eat and they are not getting injured, it should be okay.
As mentioned already, more decorations would help provide more hiding spaces which should help to reduce stress and the film at the top of the water is not a good sign. Keep up with water changes and add surface agitation.
If feeding becomes an issue or fin damage occurs, you can place the aggressor in a small breeding net (make sure they can still see eachother) for several days. Just remember that the 'dominating behavior' is needed for the specific sexing hormones to be created. It is normal and required :) The breeding net is utilized to allow both fish to rest.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Here is ONE of my 40 gallon breeder tanks filled with juveniles ranging in age from 3-4 months old :D
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qroiNC9UBNc[/YOUTUBE]

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Adding Picassos to the store!

I am uploading five grade B's and one grade A now!

I'll probably have a few Snowcassos for sale NEXT weekend! :thumbup:

store.donisreef.com

Thanks for looking :)

lcstorc

I just wanted to stop in and let you know mine are doing great. They still don't seem to recognize the anemone but they are all over the tank and eating like pigs. No squables yet either. Just fun swimming fishies.
Love them.

illidan

So yesterday you had a pair of grade b's for 100$ then today you split up the pair and made the nicer of the two 100$ and labeled as a single. Why is that? I would imagine if you are trying to make the most profit its understandable, but with such numbers in grow out i wouldn't imagine the need of squeezing the most value of each clown on store.

I remember last year the 100$ grade b's we see today where a mere 50$.

Was it because of all the people showing off that there grade A's turned to snowcasso's? Or is it that people will just pay any price you name as long as they take your word on the grade?

Whats the difference between a 100$ dollar B and a 100$ grade A$?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Good to hear Lynn :) I'm surprised they've not found the anemone yet.

Thanks Eric :) I am really enjoying the bangaii babies. They are sooo cute! All nine are doing great and I can already tell they've grown quite a bit.

Illidan - Interesting to see you are still stalking my store.. :smack: .. Please lurk elsewhere if you do not like my pricing. Thanks.

Sounds like someone pissed off a God-Fearing Woman. That's the last thing you ever want to do lol

I love you Doni. Your witty responses make my day lol.

On a side note, im lurking for a snowcasso but they get eaten up before I even see them :(

BarbMazz

Hi, Doni Marie! I have a trio of grade b's that morphed into A's, so I'm grateful, and lucky!
Unfortunately, my hopes of having a true trio form have come to naught, and one of them needs to hide during the day. The pair allow him to sleep in one of the RBTA's during the night, so they are conceding that to him.
My question, after all that, what's your experience with adding a 4th clown into a situation like this? I don't want to makes things worse, and I'm wondering if the lone clown will pair kinda automatically?
My main concern is making things worse as far as fighting for territory and that sort of thing. I have two rbta's in the tank that are doing very well. The pair use both of the nems during the day, and let the small guy use the smaller nem at night.
This is way longer than I wanted, but what do you think? :D

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Sounds like someone pissed off a God-Fearing Woman. That's the last thing you ever want to do lol

I love you Doni. Your witty responses make my day lol.

On a side note, im lurking for a snowcasso but they get eaten up before I even see them :(

I think I will have some grade A's and Snowcassos ready for sale next weekend! :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hi, Doni Marie! I have a trio of grade b's that morphed into A's, so I'm grateful, and lucky!
Unfortunately, my hopes of having a true trio form have come to naught, and one of them needs to hide during the day. The pair allow him to sleep in one of the RBTA's during the night, so they are conceding that to him.
My question, after all that, what's your experience with adding a 4th clown into a situation like this? I don't want to makes things worse, and I'm wondering if the lone clown will pair kinda automatically?
My main concern is making things worse as far as fighting for territory and that sort of thing. I have two rbta's in the tank that are doing very well. The pair use both of the nems during the day, and let the small guy use the smaller nem at night.
This is way longer than I wanted, but what do you think? :D

It is tough to say Barb... what size is the tank? Adding a fourth fish would most likely end up in creating havoc but if the tank is large enough, they might have room for two territories. Merging clowns is best done when they are all young and added at the same time. If you tried it, be prepared to remove it if WW3 breaks out.
That is very good that they allow the 3rd in the anemone during the night time. How long have they been together? You might still get a trio...

BarbMazz

The tank is a mere 65g.. thankfully lots of rock for the little guy to hide in.

Really, they don't torture him and beat him up, otherwise he'd already be a goner. They kind of weakly chase him away. He does the dance hoping to be accepted. One of the pair, I think, would like to accept him, but the female ain't so sure!

I don't want havoc; I've had enough go wrong in this tank lately! So, maybe I'll just wait it out and see.

The main pair is the pair I purchased when I won the photo contest here! :D The little one is left over from my s. haddoni experiment...the haddoni ate his partner. I felt terrible. The little one is from you, too...half of the original pair I purchased.

They are all beautiful, of course!