Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
JefferyLebowskigradeCprogressionpic.jpg

A bit blurry but you can make out the development of black on it!
Thanks Jeffrey!

tigermike74

My babies (they still don't have names yet), are doing great and are eating well. They rush up to the feeding pipette when they see it. It's about time for them to go out of QT and into their new home! :bigbounce
I'll take photos as soon as they are settled in. :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Snowcasso/Snowcasso offspring

Well, the offspring of my Snowcasso/Snowcasso pair are getting old enough (1.5 months) now to begin seeing their color...
I have several Platinums (solid white) already and it is difficult to tell if I have any Snowcassos, A's or B's just yet... it is also too soon to see any deformaties (over/under bite, missing/small fins, poor shape, etc.).

I would most definately prefer Snowcasso over Platinums but I guess the genes affecting the white simply increase with each generation?

I'll get some photos of them within the next few weeks.

hyperboy

Re: Snowcasso/Snowcasso offspring

Well, the offspring of my Snowcasso/Snowcasso pair are getting old enough (1.5 months) now to begin seeing their color...
I have several Platinums (solid white) already and it is difficult to tell if I have any Snowcassos, A's or B's just yet... it is also too soon to see any deformaties (over/under bite, missing/small fins, poor shape, etc.).

I would most definately prefer Snowcasso over Platinums but I guess the genes affecting the white simply increase with each generation?

I'll get some photos of them within the next few weeks.

Very cool Doni. I would really love to see post-meta pics of platinums if you think you could get a shot.

OT: Did you read the latest issue of CORAL magazine? In the article on designer clowns, the author Matt Wittenrich, describes the Snocasso as a cross between a picasso and a snowflake! I read this and practically screamed! I couldn't believe it! Not only does he get it way wrong, but he is (what I thought) a reputible author when it comes to captive bred fish!
In case you haven't read it, I thought you should know. Hopefully, there will be a correction in the next issue of CORAL that the Snocasso was developed by Doni Marie in NC, and is a beautiful, extreme version of the picasso PERCULA, not a hybrid!
PS I feel better, now that I got that out

Woodstock

RS STAFF

Very cool Doni. I would really love to see post-meta pics of platinums if you think you could get a shot.

OT: Did you read the latest issue of CORAL magazine? In the article on designer clowns, the author Matt Wittenrich, describes the Snocasso as a cross between a picasso and a snowflake! I read this and practically screamed! I couldn't believe it! Not only does he get it way wrong, but he is (what I thought) a reputible author when it comes to captive bred fish!
In case you haven't read it, I thought you should know. Hopefully, there will be a correction in the next issue of CORAL that the Snocasso was developed by Doni Marie in NC, and is a beautiful, extreme version of the picasso PERCULA, not a hybrid!
PS I feel better, now that I got that out

Prior to meta (7-8th day), they all look like tadpoles :D The white starts developing very early around 3 weeks with any that will have a lot of white. Even at their tiny size now (1.5mo), several are solid white. I'll get some photos of them this weekend! To reiterate, my goal is to produce Snowcassos (Majority is white but NOT ALL white) that have cool patterns/spots throughout the white.

I hate to hear that about the article. My Snowcassos are most definately A. perculas and NOT a hybrid. I'll probably get lots of questions about it now:smack:
Many months ago I processed the paper work (lawyer and $$$) to get "Snowcasso" trademarked but it takes a looooong time to complete:coffee2:

K L R

Ok im not sure where else to put this than here...so i have a Grade b picasso...and for his mate i want the coolest percula one can get!

What picasso is the coolest?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
What picasso is the coolest?

That depends on you. Some like the Snowcassos and A's that have a lot of white, while others prefer the grade B's. I like the B's with interesting white markings... they look awesome when they mature and get alot of black.
You need to decide which YOU like best. :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF

Here is a photo I took on 7-27 before I had to go out of state. It is a small spawn of "Eve"(my avatar) and "Uno" (both Snowcassos).
I get some better photos in a week or two.

7-26-10snowcasso-snowcasooffspring.jpg

hyperboy

Here is a photo I took on 7-27 before I had to go out of state. It is a small spawn of "Eve"(my avatar) and "Uno" (both Snowcassos).

Really cool Doni! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

tigermike74

I like both Grade A and Grade B. One of my Grade B's looks alomst Snowcasso on one side now, as the white has progressively spread. The other side is very unique as well. My other Grade B has developed nicely as well. I'm hoping to have photos of them up soon, hopefully this weekend. I'm going to be acclimating them into their new home slowly starting tonight and putting them in tomorrow night after work. My fiancee said they have grown a lot already. It's hard for me to notice, since I see them every day.

tigermike74

It's snowing in your tank Doni Marie, you have a couple snowflakes in there. :eek:verhere:
They are all beautiful!

K L R

Here is my B
IMG_3192.jpg

IMG_3193.jpg

Sorry if i kinda trashed the thread.....but i really do like the snowcasso look...that might be what i try to get

chicagoclowns

Well i Finally got through all 144 pages and wow. I have read a few awesome threads about clown breeding but by far Doni yours is the most detailed. Whether it was the progress, diet, or setup in general you nailed it all.

I stumbled upon your store site many times in the past 8 months but didn't know it was all documented.
I have been trying to breed clowns for about 4 months now and have had tremendous progress but zero results. I have read joyce's book but it was published in 1997 and i figured you've updated some techniques.
I currently have a
~ B&W occ pair
~ true perc (grade B) and a black with orange stomach occ pair
~Snowflake occ pair

each pair has been cleaning their clay pot like crazy for about a month but no eggs yet.

I feed a homemade mixture of mussels, mysis shrimp and scallops, along with super veggie flakes and cyclopeeze. I feed each item separately for about 4-5 feedings per day. I do about a 10-15% water change twice a week and the lighting is on a timer for 16 hours a day.

Is there anything you can think of that I could do to promote an egg lay?

chicagoclowns

Well i Finally got through all 144 pages and wow. I have read a few awesome threads about clown breeding but by far Doni yours is the most detailed. Whether it was the progress, diet, or setup in general you nailed it all.

I stumbled upon your store site many times in the past 8 months but didn't know it was all documented.
I have been trying to breed clowns for about 4 months now and have had tremendous progress but zero results. I have read joyce's book but it was published in 1997 and i figured you've updated some techniques.
I currently have a
~ B&W occ pair
~ true perc (grade B) and a black with orange stomach occ pair
~Snowflake occ pair

each pair has been cleaning their clay pot like crazy for about a month but no eggs yet.

I feed a homemade mixture of mussels, mysis shrimp and scallops, along with super veggie flakes and cyclopeeze. I feed each item separately for about 4-5 feedings per day. I do about a 10-15% water change twice a week and the lighting is on a timer for 16 hours a day.

Is there anything you can think of that I could do to promote an egg lay?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
KLR - nice B :)

Chicagoclowns - I am glad you found this thread informative. :)
It sounds as though you're feeding your pairs very well which is a very important first step! A few tricks I have used to induce spawning are to: increase the water temp a deg or 2, make large water changes and feed live foods (pods, enriched brine, mysis, etc.).
Soon you'll be up to your ears in eggs :D
Good luck!

chicagoclowns

thank you very much for the reply. When i get the chance i feed live brine and i know there are pods in the tank (all over the glass and bottom). But only time will tell. I hope someday to be forced to have a setup like yours. that only Signifies great success haha.

What was the adjustment you made to the eggs when pulled to be able to have high success rates?

i know you increases the flow but by how much?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
thank you very much for the reply. When i get the chance i feed live brine and i know there are pods in the tank (all over the glass and bottom). But only time will tell. I hope someday to be forced to have a setup like yours. that only Signifies great success haha.

What was the adjustment you made to the eggs when pulled to be able to have high success rates?

i know you increases the flow but by how much?

Feed the parents well and the larval will be strong.

There is a fine line between having the right amount of bubbles without beating the newly hatched laval to death. It is a lot of bubbles. I do not measure the air so it is difficult to tell you how much. You will need to experiment with it to find the right flow rate.