PEMs Freshwater Planted 65G build

PEMfish

87 ****ing degrees! My tanks running HOT!

Its actually not running far above ambient, I might have to kick the air on.

PEMfish

Not really. Still hot, even with the air on.

Algae growth had picked up a bit lately, Could be the heat...

PEMfish

On the hottest day, 83.
When the air is on its usually 76-77.
I have fans for the lights so taking the acrylic cover off will get air moving across the water but it dose little good, a degree or two tops.
Right now the house is 73 and the tank is 83, no lights have come on yet today, acrylic covers are on.

Frankie

RS STAFF
The key may be pulling the hot air away and not blowing it. How I would go about it would be to wire up an exhaust flex pipe to the light somehow. At the other open end I would have a fan pulling out and away. If possible up and into an attic. So now you have tons of light with no heat coming down.

PEMfish

Look What I got for my birthday.
Ludwigia cuba. Not too common and very nice looking. Google it to see it in its true beauty.

Attachments

• Ludwigia cuba.jpg
    Ludwigia cuba.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 60

bbe22

Looks great Paul, what's the fish-stock in this tank? I'd dig through every page but I'm apparently hosting flu and falling asleep, therefore my excuse is I'm lazy. And happy birfday!

PEMfish

Thanks.

Im not so sure of the plant ID anymore, but its sure growing fast.

Right now I only have a cherry barb, a rummy nose tetra, and two rosy barbs.

The list I wanted was 20 or so rummy nose, 2 torpedo barbs ( had one for awhile ), and two Corys ( which have been replaced by the rosys ). I still need to buy 22 fish. Right now all $ is going into my SW.

bbe22

I hear you there, my money is going to my sw as well. Don't forget that corys are schooling fish, if you get at least three, but preferably like 5 or 6 they are a cool sight swimming around the tank. I've got about 4 or 5 julii corys in my discus tank. They sleep in a pack, and when one wakes up they all take off together. Cool fish, not to mention, they do a great job with garbage duty and they get pretty large (mine are about 1-1/2"). I've also read articles about them breeding in well established tanks, but mine have yet to do so. And, just curious, you don't have any problem with your barb's eating your plants? Or, do they grow fast enough that the fish can't keep up?

PEMfish

Well I think Iv written corys out of the list with the rosy barbs in there place.

If the barbs eat the plants I have no knowledge of it. There purpose in the tank is to eat the algae.

PEMfish

Got some new plants today; Anubias nana, Cabomba, Red Wendtii, and some Crypt spiralis. The spiral inst what I was really looking for but I needed something for the back corner, well see how it works out. The wendtii might not stay as well, I like it, but didn't realize it was the same stuff I already have. I don't want to much of the same thing. As for now it looks differnt but time will come and change these things.

PEMfish

A big question I had when I was building this tank was how long will a 5lb tank of CO2 last.

The answer; For me, about a year. I'll have to have it filled pretty soon.