PEMs Freshwater Planted 65G build

PEMfish

I have the algae down alot. It got really bad when I was gone, but its not too much of a problem now. Things Ive done;

-Cut lighting ( I am down to 6 hours a day on the main lights, 7 on the 6th bulb. The bulk of the cut back was done about 2 - 3 weeks ago. )

-Increased flow ( I didn't even realize I did this when I did. I swapped out for a bigger pump because even though I was happy with the flow of the smaller one it was to much stress for it handle. I did this maybe 4 months ago. I didnt think it made to much of a difference at the time but looking at the long term trends it might have. )

-Increased CO2 ( The system shut down when I was gone so it went from 0 to normal levels about a month ago. I also upped normal levels. About two weeks ago I had a CO2 accident leaving the valve open all night. Wow did that ever piss the algae off! )

-Changed dosing ( I was upping it with good results but may have over done it because last week I cut dosing down and this week I eliminated it with good results. )

-Increased maintenance ( When I was gone little to none was preformed. I have not increased maintenance from normal levels but bringing it back up to normal levels has done alot. ( Normal = 20g W/C per week and whatever else needs to be done; algae removal, gravel siphoning, trimming...)

PEMfish

Id give a an FTS but it looks way worse in the pic than real life, so im going to hold off until its looking better.

Attachments

• 65g planted april 007.jpg
    65g planted april 007.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 76

PEMfish

I tore my tank apart to try to go for a better aqua scape. Im letting the dust settle so I can see enough to be able to work again now.

So far I have;
-Taken the drift wood out, fixed the lose base ( its bolted to a piece of acrylic sheet ), cleaned it, and buried the base deeper in the substrate.
-Cut the Didiplis Diandra down ( tall plant in the back left ). I kept some of it short in the front to create a carpet, now I am doing that with all of it. When I pulled the huge bundle of healthy plant out I almost cried. I hope I dont regret it.
-Moved the large leaf stem plant back to the middle.

What I plan to do;
-add more drift wood, see links for pics that inspired that
http://bhushandalvi.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/kevins-75g-055-1.jpg
Google Image Result for http://www.projectaquarium.com/aquariumImages/valleyEast_images/small_planted_aquarium_5.jpg
-Go for more small bunches of plants instead of a few big ones
http://upperorchard.net/images/75g/75g42107.jpg
-Attach plants up on all that new drift wood I'm planning on getting. I may pot plants using my substrate in PVC end caps and attaching those to the wood.
(See first 6 pics; Jeff's Aquarium Tour Photo Gallery by Oliver Knott the aqua creator at pbase.com )

Frankie

RS STAFF
I wish you were closer Paul, I am seeing tons of awesome driftwood washing up on the beaches here in charleston.

PEMfish

I have a secret stash of forgotten driftwood from a vacation a few years ago.
I only have one piece Im considering using but its a start.

PEMfish

Looks like that pieces will fit nice. I have them soaking now. I plan to attatch java fern, java moss, Anubias and the like to the wood, similar to what you can see in the above links.

Last edited:

PEMfish

Look at what I can do when I get bored;

Attachments

• FWfish 008M.jpg
    FWfish 008M.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 45
  • FWfish 016M.jpg
    FWfish 016M.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 45
  • FWfish 021M.jpg
    FWfish 021M.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 46
  • FWfish 027M.jpg
    FWfish 027M.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 45
  • FWfish 037M.jpg
    FWfish 037M.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 45

PEMfish

Last week I cut 33% of all dosing... bad idea. Going the opposite direction this week. 50% more KNO3. Went from 32ml of my solution which gives 5.4ppm to 48ml for this week.
Plant growth has been good as usual. growth in two weeks;

Attachments

• 65gGrowth 001B.jpg
    65gGrowth 001B.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 65fish2.jpg
    65fish2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 79

Frankie

RS STAFF
Well, it takes time Paul. Fortunately it will take shorter time then a reef will. With that setup your going to need some good pruning tools ;)