Oxy's RSM250

Oxylebius

Thanks everyone!
The fish is a Tailspot blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura).
He used to sleep in empty shells until the urchin shell became available. The urchin shell used to lay on the sand. It kept getting turned over, so I glued it to a rock near the sand and this has become the blenny's favorite place to sleep. The blenny is a little territorial, not too aggressive, so b/c of this I purposely glue the urchin shell away from the clown's favorite corner of the tank. So the blenny has its on side of the tank facing the side of the tank.

Here is a picture of the blenny in its urchin shell, his head is peaking out. The urchin shell is placed on the side of the tank. This was taken last Sept. will try to grab an updated pic of this angle today when the lights turn back on.

In the snail shell pic

This video was taken a while ago. Watch the blenny on the right side of the video. The blenny first goes in & out of the snail shell then moves over to the empty urchin shell.

Dracko

Love the video! Looks like he was doing some house cleaning at the end. Definitely going to have these for my tank. A Blenny is one of the fish on my list. I wonder if the kind you have makes any difference. I was thinking lawnmower, but I had never seen a pic of the tailspot. I'm gonna have to check out Blenny species better before making up my mind.

Oxylebius

That is a great video of your blenny!! He is so cute!

Thanks, it isn't the showiest of fish. But, it is cute.

Love the video! Looks like he was doing some house cleaning at the end. Definitely going to have these for my tank. A Blenny is one of the fish on my list. I wonder if the kind you have makes any difference. I was thinking lawnmower, but I had never seen a pic of the tailspot. I'm gonna have to check out Blenny species better before making up my mind.

There are all kinds of different blennies that live and act in various ways. Here is an article on the type of blenny mine is, a tail-spot blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura) is a type of comb-tooth blenny. Lots of great info on this genus of blennies in the article. The tail-spot blenny won't keep your gravel clean like a lawnmower blenny will, but it does like to eat the film algae off the glass. In doing so it leaves little kiss marks on the glass.

Hows the tank and shoulder going Sue? :)

Dom, OMG my shoulder sucks. 6 wks of PT and it still is not moving, frozen and lots of pain. :crying: Makes cleaning the tank difficult and PT @3x a wk is eating into my budget. I'd rather be spending $$ on items for the tank. :p

BTW, those in the U.S., we need to get another group buy going, I'm needing to replace a lot of things and I need to find an easier way to do water changes, I physically can't be carrying buckets of water around anymore. I feel so old and I'm NOT yet. :frown:

Rant over.

Another :snow: day here. Taking the day off, need some R&R. :morning:

Last edited:

Pat24601

I somehow missed it. What happened to your shoulder? I had to do PT before for a shoulder injury for a few months. In the long run, it worked, but it definitely was time consuming and expensive!

Most of the efforts I've seen to do water changes without carrying around water basically involve pretty specific plumbing projects, which may or may not be an option. What about buying a little red wagon to cart around the jug of saltwater and a pump to pump the water up to the tank? Would still somehow have to lift the bucket of salt water to the wagon, though...

Naturally, you'd know way more about this than me, so I don't know why I'm offering suggestions. :)

This is the wagon I used to pull my kids around the house. There are cheaper versions. Doesn't seem to damage the floors. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Pathfinder-Wagon®-Red/dp/B0000859QK/ref=sr_1_10?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1424958969&sr=1-10&keywords=wagon

Dracko

A cheap pond pump works well for moving water uphill or down. I got a good on for under $30 that moves the water the thirty or so feet from tank to toilet. The plastic tubing can be boiled for a min. or so when needed. The salt water down the drain tends to kill roots in my sewer lines too.:guns: Best to get one that does not need to be submerged.

Oxylebius

There isn't one incident to point, the shoulder slowly lost range of motion and locked up. Carrying buckets up and down flights of stairs wasn't helping the issue I'm sure.

I was looking into something like this for sucking water out of tank. Anyone use one before?

Not sure about filling tank, I have lots of extra old pumps around and can hook one up. Would need to head to hardware store to pick up lots of long tubing for them though.

Been thinking through how to make maintenance easier, just haven't bought anything yet.

Dracko

Aqua vacuum. For cleaning the bottom. May as well just use tubing, unless you are wanting a vacuum. The pond/fountain pump still sounds like your best bet for getting water in or out. Get rated for 200 gph or better and the job will be done in no time, cleanly, with no strain on that shoulder. And then you can just get tubing to match the length you need to go to get the water to a drain. BTW, sounds like something I had a few years ago. Thought it was the shoulder, and so did the drs. All they did was give me something for pain, but it persisted. Finally went to a chiropractor who said it was in my upper back, but I was feeling it in the shoulder. A few treatments and it went away. Even showed me two exercises that have kept it from coming back. I do them whenever I feel it starting back up.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Oxylebius

The MRI showed water in the shoulder joint and arthritis in the collar bone area. Once I stopped weekly yoga due to the pain, my range of motion went downhill in a matter of a couple of months and then tightened up. I'm currently up to 9 different exercises daily to stretch it. But, after 6 wks of PT I'm disappointed I haven't made better progress. I can now reach the top of the tank with that arm to feed the fish, I couldn't do that at the beginning of Jan.

I always vacuum the sand with water changes. Gets the crud out.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Dom, OMG my shoulder sucks. 6 wks of PT and it still is not moving, frozen and lots of pain. :crying: Makes cleaning the tank difficult and PT @3x a wk is eating into my budget. I'd rather be spending $$ on items for the tank. :p
Another :snow: day here. Taking the day off, need some R&R. :morning:

The MRI showed water in the shoulder joint and arthritis in the collar bone area. Once I stopped weekly yoga due to the pain, my range of motion went downhill in a matter of a couple of months and then tightened up. I'm currently up to 9 different exercises daily to stretch it. But, after 6 wks of PT I'm disappointed I haven't made better progress. I can now reach the top of the tank with that arm to feed the fish, I couldn't do that at the beginning of Jan.

Oh dear!! At least you're getting a little bit of movement back into it! I definitely think a few water change pumps and some flexible tubing would go a long way to helping you! :)
Is there something else you can get done for your shoulder??

The tank is still looking fantastic at least! :D

Dracko

That's a bummer. But at least you have an answer. My MRI showed nothing and all they could do was just giving me more and stronger pain pills. Felt like a zombie. Hope it clears up soon and that they can tell you how to keep it from reoccurring.