Oxy's RSM250

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
How are your leopard/s going Oxy?? :) Would love to hear about them and how they're doing!
I'm looking at upgrading at the moment and leopards are high on the list for me :)

Oxylebius

Never try using a tie clip to pinch off an air hose. It doesn't hold.
Hopefully that didn't end terribly? lol

Ha! Nothing bad happened to the tank, perhaps a little embarrassing to me ;) Imagine this, I'm up on a chair and am shoulder deep in the back sump right when my husband walks into the room. He looks around to see the pump, tubes and ATO are all sprawled out on top of the tank and asks, something wrong with the tank? I pull out his clip tie right at that moment..... he asks, why is my clip tie in the tank? My response... Um :grind: :dunno:

How are your leopard/s going Oxy?? :) Would love to hear about them and how they're doing!
I'm looking at upgrading at the moment and leopards are high on the list for me :)

Only one out of three survived. The one I have is awesome. Active and out swimming daily. Always has its head looking into cracks in the rocks or under coral branches, picking here and there at things I can't see. Model citizen in the tank. Great community fish. I really wish the others survived, would have liked to have a pair at least. The mysid and pod population has gone down, as expected.

I highly recommend the fish.

The only issue to be aware of is that they do take to the sand fairly quickly and don't necessarily emerge the next day. Some will stay in the sand for a day or so and others won't emerge until a month or so later. On theory making the rounds on the internet is that this behavior is due to their internal clocks being used to a different time zone and needing to adjust to the timing of when your lights turn on/off in your tank. So, be aware of this.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Ha! Nothing bad happened to the tank, perhaps a little embarrassing to me ;) Imagine this, I'm up on a chair and am shoulder deep in the back sump right when my husband walks into the room. He looks around to see the pump, tubes and ATO are all sprawled out on top of the tank and asks, something wrong with the tank? I pull out his clip tie right at that moment..... he asks, why is my clip tie in the tank? My response... Um :grind: :dunno:
hahaha that sounds like it would have been a rather comical situation :laughroll: There's always good moments like that when you own a reef tank :p

Only one out of three survived. The one I have is awesome. Active and out swimming daily. Always has its head looking into cracks in the rocks or under coral branches, picking here and there at things I can't see. Model citizen in the tank. Great community fish. I really wish the others survived, would have liked to have a pair at least. The mysid and pod population has gone down, as expected.

I highly recommend the fish.

The only issue to be aware of is that they do take to the sand fairly quickly and don't necessarily emerge the next day. Some will stay in the sand for a day or so and others won't emerge until a month or so later. On theory making the rounds on the internet is that this behavior is due to their internal clocks being used to a different time zone and needing to adjust to the timing of when your lights turn on/off in your tank. So, be aware of this.

Awesome to hear it's such a wonderful fish! :) After seeing the most recent article on Reef Builders about M. vivienae I've fallen in love with them so I'm going to try and get my lfs to source a pair for me :D I'm not holding my breath though as they come from Africa and Mauritius so there's a slim chance of getting them and getting a really healthy pair. If I can though, the QT period will be spent adjusting them to the time difference by keeping the lights at their time and slowly adjusting it to mine :) I'll be waiting some time before I get any though as I'm more than likely upgrading my tank at the end of Feb :D

I'd love to see some more pics of your gorgeous little leopard wrasse :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
How about a short vid of it swimming

[

Such a stunning fish!! :)
I'm now tossing up between a leopard or a mystery wrasse for my tank, such a terribly hard decision lol restarting my tank this week so hopefully all goes well!!

Oxylebius

Good luck w/the new start up. There are many leopard and mystery wrasses available, are you looking at a couple of specific ones?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Good luck w/the new start up. There are many leopard and mystery wrasses available, are you looking at a couple of specific ones?

I just hope it goes as smoothly as it's been planned out in my head haha
It'll be just the common mystery wrasse (Pseudocheilinus ocellatus) if I get one of those but if I go for a leopard wrasse, I'm thinking about a choati given how closely they are native to me :) A mere 2 hour flight away so the usual issues they have during transport won't be present :) But then again the whole Macropharyngodon genus is absolutely gorgeous so I'm not going to be too fussy!

Oxylebius

You've been wanting a Pseudocheilinus ocellatus for a while now, at the least you've been talking about getting one of these. But, given the choati is native close by you, its hard to bet that. I personally like the Macropharyngodon genus. I've decided to wait until mine gets a little bigger and try another attempt for small ones. This may take a year to do though. I'm patient, so waiting is fine.

Few more pics

Do you remember me mentioning how I am moving a encrusting monti (I think it is a sunset) around the tank by moving the snail shell that it grows on? Well, here is the more recent location and as you can see it is about time to pluck the encrusted snail shell off b/c the monti has grown onto the rock under it.

And lastly gorgonian partially closed up so you can see the pretty purple color. A birds next is out competing it for space on one side and a couple of monti caps are out competing it for space on its other side, so I'm thinking this gorgonian isn't too happy right now. I need to get into the tank and chop back both the birds next and monti caps. But, I'm still going thru PT for my shoulder and so I haven't done much w/the tank in the last month and I am wondering how long the gorgonian can last being squeezed from both sides.... not sure if my shoulder can handle digging into the tank yet. By the looks of the gorgonian closed up, it isn't too happy right now.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You've been wanting a Pseudocheilinus ocellatus for a while now, at the least you've been talking about getting one of these. But, given the choati is native close by you, its hard to bet that. I personally like the Macropharyngodon genus. I've decided to wait until mine gets a little bigger and try another attempt for small ones. This may take a year to do though. I'm patient, so waiting is fine.

Few more pics

That I have, mystery's are really nice wrasse. It's the colouration that gets me! It's a very hard decision to make lol the bright side is that flashers and fairies don't really interest me that much so it's on Pseudocheilinus sp. and Macropharyngodon sp. of the wrasse that really interest me :) If I did end up going the the leopard route which is likely I'd only be getting a single leopard as I don't think the tank would be big enough to support two of them, I get the feeling a mystery might not get along with everyone but I'll have a chat with my lfs tomorrow when I get my new rock! :)

Your little m. bipartitus leopard is a very strong motivator for me to get one too, she's absolutely gorgeous!

Do you remember me mentioning how I am moving a encrusting monti (I think it is a sunset) around the tank by moving the snail shell that it grows on? Well, here is the more recent location and as you can see it is about time to pluck the encrusted snail shell off b/c the monti has grown onto the rock under it.

And lastly gorgonian partially closed up so you can see the pretty purple color. A birds next is out competing it for space on one side and a couple of monti caps are out competing it for space on its other side, so I'm thinking this gorgonian isn't too happy right now. I need to get into the tank and chop back both the birds next and monti caps. But, I'm still going thru PT for my shoulder and so I haven't done much w/the tank in the last month and I am wondering how long the gorgonian can last being squeezed from both sides.... not sure if my shoulder can handle digging into the tank yet. By the looks of the gorgonian closed up, it isn't too happy right now.

I love the way you've done that with the monti on the snail shell :) My rainbow has gone all green :( haha Hopefully with the tank restarted and some new lights I'll get rainbow back lol but I love the idea of leaving it on a removable object and then just spreading the love around! :)

If the gorg starts to close up more then I would start to get worried but given it's only three small(?) branches I think you should be right to give your shoulder it's needed rest! Maybe bump up target feeding a little to see if you get a better response from it? I've never had gorg's so I'm just spit balling here lol

Oxylebius

I broke away the birdsnest and monti caps that were surrounding the gorgonian, now the gorgonian has much better water flow around it. Some branches are still closed up, but overall it is looking a bit healthier (and now some branches are moving with the current again).

A beauty shot

And the bipartitus shot of the day

Oxylebius

Before and after photos...

Overgrown corals surrounding gorgonian. Started to block water flow and birdsnest was starting to irritate the gorgonian and polyps weren't being expanded anymore.

After clearing away some of the birds nest and monti cap corals.

Water flow is now making the gorgonian sway a little more. The polyps on three branches still haven't come back. It should heal in time, I'm not worried about it. Overall I think making room for the gorgonian was needed b/c both the monti caps and birdsnest corals are faster growers then the gorgonian, eventually they would have out competed it for space and maybe killed it.

This is a pic how little the gorgonian was when I first got it over a year ago. It has come a long way since then.