OT: Our Escape from the Midwest!

QuentinB

Hey everyone! This is definitely long overdue, we took the trip in August! Anyway, some background: Me and my wife Shell(ShellB on here) needed a bit of a vacation, but we weren't entirely sure where to go! Lucky for us, I had been emailing Dave and Tracy(Uslanja), and they offered to show us around if we ever made it out that way. On top of that, once we decided to make the trip, Dave and Tracy offered us a place to stay, as well! These guys are amazing, and we have them to thank for our excellent trip! I just hope they had as much fun as we did!

Before I forget, a good number of these pictures were taken by Dave or Tracy. I think it's probably obvious in most pictures(like if Shell and I are both in a picture), but if you think it looks exceptionally good, just assume it's theirs :D

I hadn't ever been outside the midwest, though Shell is much more traveled than myself. So getting there really was half the fun for me! Our route, started in Grand Forks, and we took Highway 2 as far East as we could, right up to the Mackinac Bridge. From there, I-75 took us down to Saginaw, where we spent the night. 16 hours on the road that day. The next morning we continued South to I-69, which took us to the border(my first crossing!). The rest of the trip was a breeze, and we pulled up to Dave and Tracy's about 6 hours after leaving our hotel - 22(ish) hours total! So, I suppose it's picture time:

Highway 2 - So much more pretty than interstate...
DSCN1384.jpg

DSCN1389.jpg

Lake Michigan. It's worth mentioning that we got to see all of the Great Lakes on this trip! There was a neat and popular beach here!
DSCN1394.jpg

DSCN1400.jpg

DSCN1402.jpg

DSCN1405.jpg

DSCN1407.jpg

At a rest area, just before Highway two came to an end. Note the island, it shows up later!
DSCN1422.jpg

The necessary "Self Shot":
DSCN1423.jpg

I kept our parents and Dave updated via email, apparently Shell thought it was funny:
DSCN1426.jpg

Shell enjoying the chance to stand:
DSCN1429.jpg

Mackinac Bridge! Almost 5 miles long!
DSCN1433.jpg

Same Island:
DSCN1435.jpg

DSCN1437.jpg

DSCN1441.jpg

Off the bridge, there was a wind advisory(notice the trees?)
DSCN1442.jpg

DSCN1446.jpg

And that was just the first day!

Day two, crossing the border:
DSCN1454.jpg

DSCN1457.jpg

DSCN1459.jpg

That's what I have for the trip out there! We were pretty excited by that point, so the camera was all but forgotten! However, our trip from Michigan to Niagara Falls didn't disappoint, very pretty country, and interesting stops! More to come in another post!

QuentinB

So, after finding their place and meeting our hosts, we spent some time hanging out in the backyard! From that point, for some reason, my night got mighty fuzzy... Shell and I were shown how to get to the Falls, the finer points, and we got to eat at this great place called the Swiss Chalet. It was all quite the experience, and the Falls were beautiful all lit up at night! I don't have Tracy's pictures from this night, but we got a few good shots of the Falls!

DSCN1463.jpg

DSCN1464.jpg

DSCN1469.jpg

DSCN1472.jpg

DSCN1475.jpg

QuentinB

The next day, Shell and I went off to adventure on our own! Luckily, I remembered the directions Dave gave me(honestly, you guys should be impressed). It was much more busy than the night before, but Shell and I found cheap parking and we were off...only to have it start to downpour on us! We didn't let that get us down though, we just had wet feet the rest of the day.

Tim Hortons... Shell and I are very sad to be without one here... They're everywhere that way!
DSCN1482.jpg

My wife, the dork. She was getting upset because of the rain, so we bought her a poncho. we get outside and it stopped almost immediately. She wore it anyway :D
DSCN1488.jpg

Blue People...
DSCN1492.jpg

Yellow people...
DSCN1508.jpg

Birds on a rock?
DSCN1514.jpg

The Maid of the Mist going in!
DSCN1519.jpg

Pretty gardens:
DSCN1496.jpg

DSCN1497.jpg

We ended up eating at the Hard Rock Cafe, I had never been to one!
DSCN1500.jpg

Behind and beside the falls:
DSCN1526.jpg

DSCN1531.jpg

This is above the whirlpool, downstream from the falls. Very pretty area, and the jet boat we went on the next day(two days?) came right up here.
DSCN1544.jpg

It's a cable car!
DSCN1546.jpg

DSCN1547.jpg

DSCN1550.jpg

DSCN1551.jpg

We had tons of fun on our own, even just driving around! This whole trip was pretty much a sensory overload for me, everything seemed so different! It's hard to explain, but spend a few years in North Dakota and see how well you appreciate these sort of things!

QuentinB

Jet boat ride! Dave, Shell and I had some fun with this! Tracy elected to stay behind, but she got some neat shots! If you're interested, check this out: Welcome to Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours! They have some cool videos showing the rapids and turns they do on the trip! Again, this went up to(but not into) the whirlpool, the same one in the above pictures. It starts pretty much at the mouth of the river, which you can see just a bit of to the left of the fort.

Dave, Shell, and myself(Timmy's in hand, of course!)
IMG_7085.jpg

Shell and me in front of the US Fort(for the life of me, I can't remember it's name...)
IMG_7093.jpg

Honk!
IMG_7101.jpg

Life vests on and ready to go!
IMG_7115.jpg

We're up front, directly behind the kid in the green:
IMG_7165.jpg

And we're off!
IMG_7176.jpg

The trip actually took quite a while, and it was great fun! We got a history lesson during the slower parts, and an adrenaline rush further up river! Totally worth a go!

QuentinB

I forgot to say it above, but the day we did the jet boat tour, we also crossed over to Buffalo, NY! We had quite a time over there, including a stop by the MIGHTY TACO!!! I'm serious, give me a Tim Horton's and a Mighty Taco up here, and I would be set. After our most excellent meal, we stopped by a couple of Dave and Tracy's favorite LFS's. I'll tell you, they blow away anything I've seen out this way(again, should have brought out the camera!). We also had the opportunity to meet Gary(Glampka) and his wife, who took time out to get off the water and have a drink with us! For the life of me, I don't know how we didn't get a picture together, but it was great meeting you guys!

Moving on, another day! We made our way to Niagara on the Lake, a neat little place with interesting shops! Also, much to Shell's delight, we checked out a few of the wineries of the area. Such beautiful countryside, and so many vineyards and wineries!

DSCN1561.jpg

DSCN1564.jpg

Shell took a picture of Dave and I...
DSCN1563.jpg

...while Dave took a picture of Shell and Tracy!
DSCF1278.jpg

Shell found a moo cow.
DSCF1277.jpg

Peller Estates; we took a tour of this winery!
DSCF1282.jpg

DSCN1565.jpg

Gorgeous building!
DSCN1568.jpg

That's a cellar to be proud of :D
DSCN1571.jpg

DSCF1287.jpg

Like kids in a candy store...
DSCF1279.jpg

A shot with Tracy and our goods out front!
DSCF1288.jpg

We also went to Konzelman, another winery, but apparently I didn't upload any shots of that? Might try later, sorry. Here's Dave, Shell, and myself in front of Jackson-Triggs, the last winery we stopped at. Had a much more modern feel to it, and we got some excellent ice wine there!
DSCF1301.jpg

Afterwards, we ate at an Italian place right off the canal! Not long after we got there, the bridge went up and a ship went right on by...
DSCN1578.jpg

DSCF1313.jpg

and that was our last day there. Afterwards, we drove around some, got to see a neat castle a guy was putting up, it all kind of tied together our experience. I know I'm missing a lot of what we did, as well! We got to see Dave's fire hall, play out back on the quad, and of course, check out Dave and Tracy's beautiful tanks...
IMG_7789.jpg

IMG_7788.jpg

:D

QuentinB

And the saddening, but necessary, trip home. It was actually a decent drive, though we got lost in Buffalo trying to find Dave!!! I still feel bad about that, next time we're out there, you're going to have to show me where you went. Leaving Buffalo, we stayed on I-90 the whole way home(my parents live 10 miles North of it in MN, and we stayed with them for my birthday!). The first day we stayed overnight in Chicago(sorry Cat, we'll hit you up next time :D), and the JFK Expressway was definitely the worst of the drive. Our hotel was on the West side of town, near O'Hare, so on the bright side, we had little traffic to deal with come morning!

Gary, Indiana(I think?)
DSCN1582.jpg

Coming into town:
DSCN1584.jpg

DSCN1590.jpg

The next day, we spotted a barn for you, Dave!
DSCN1596.jpg

Chicago to home was 7 hours even. Somewhere along the way, I burnt out a headlight, so I got that changed right away. Shell got a kick out of the fact that I pulled up a chair.
DSCN1598.jpg

The day after we got home was my 21st birthday, and I had a great time with friends and family. The next day was pretty rough, but well worth it I suppose! Scotch ended up being my demise, never tell your bartender to get you something that isn't sweet. Still can't drink it...

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed! Nothing like blowing an afternoon away uploading and posting pictures :D I'm so glad our semester is over, I'm actually on my way out the door for my last final(should be a walk in the park)!

Seriously, Dave and Tracy are amazing, and we definitely owe them for their hospitality. Thank you guys for a great end to our summer, and all the fun we had. I have an itching suspicion this isn't the last time we'll meet!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Very nice story n thread. Thanks for sharing. Next trip Bourbon trail! Kentucky bound.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

QuentinB

Thanks, dmatt! I was actually thinking of going that direction... otherwise, we've got some friends out west as well, maybe we should give them a visit...

Juan, good to see you here! Thanks! Funny enough, I have a friend who's folks are in Honduras, maybe a road trip down your way is in store as well...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Great pictures man! Looks like yall had a freaking BLAST too!!

There is a discrepancy in the pictures of Dave n Tracy's tank. Something happened to those Bailey's drinks while you was trying to take pictures.

QuentinB

You know Al, Bailey's exhibits a strange phenomenon when left out among friends... :D I will work diligently to get to the bottom of it, and check back in!

jpsika08

Quentin any time, jumping from Honduras to Guatemala is real easy, some good spots to visit around, even the famous 2,012 EOW (End of the World) Mayan City! LOL :D

Uslanja

HI Guys!! I have been real busy with work lately and just burning out!! Always seems to be "feast or famine" around these parts! Gotta make hay while the sun shines!! I had a blast checking out your photos and reliving the memory!! Your visit was the highlight too our summer and we still talk about it with a smile!! Needless to say, but I will anyway, we're expecting to see more of you guys this way!! There are still so many more things to check out!! Ah; the memory of hearing your car coming down the road and knowing it was you before you even arrived; your ride has a real "mean" sound!! That awkward moment of actually meeting face to face for the first time and wondering if you're comfortable being here..... and all that quickly dissolving away as we settled in for a few days of "hanging" and getting to know each other...... and Shell's dynamite sense of humor!!!!! We still laugh when we talk about her theory on "highway hand signal" messaging!!!! We had a great time and definitely looking forward to doing it again!!