NEW RED SEA REEFER SERIES TANKS

jtcplumb

How long have you been running tank now ? I just started my 29 gallon 4 months and i am upgrading already to bigger tank. Just worried when i get 65 gallon running i am bonn look at bigger one. 65 galling should keep me content for a while i hope.

Pat24601

How long have you been running tank now ? I just started my 29 gallon 4 months and i am upgrading already to bigger tank. Just worried when i get 65 gallon running i am bonn look at bigger one. 65 galling should keep me content for a while i hope.

I was born with wanting bigger and better. :)

Tank size is such a personal choice I'm not sure how anyone can help with that. My LFS store told me "go with the biggest size you can afford". Now that isn't strictly speaking true. I debated heavily between a 500 and a 250. I went with a 250 and I'm actually glad I did. A 500 would have just dominated the room I want to put it in in a way that is bad for the overall aesthetics of the room and for my marriage.

The 250 really is the perfect size for my space (and wife). That said, I occasionally take a sideways glance at a 90 gallon... ;)

A 65 gallon really is pretty good size, though. I have a large living room by most houses standards and it makes its presence felt in it.

jtcplumb

Lol you are too funny Pat you sound like my twin brother. Bigger is Better.... Thats why i put a 120 gallon tank in my small office it really is big i didn't install the canopy on top or it really would have been huge looking. So a 250 on other side wall will complement it and i will be almost surrounded by water ... Salt on one side and fresh on the other. I will try to post a picture so you can see...

StirCrayzy

I've been reading up on these because of all the hype over the last 6 months. Seems like a really good option for the "partial DIY" market. Great upgrade mayja, do you have a delivery date?

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
It was supposed to arrive mid February, but due to the California labor dispute with the dock workers it's still waiting to be unloaded.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
When are those tanks going to be available to purchase ? I guess you went on the pre order list.

I don't know. I was on the pre-order list and was told when mine should be arriving. You would have to contact your local Red Sea dealer to find out if they got their shipment and whether they're already pre-sold.

akejan

The Reefer 250 is neither to big or to small. The waterchanges will be easy. Changing 20 litres a week needs little work and space.
The only drawback is that it's too small for Tangs!
Considering one for myself.

srkd

Hello All, I am thinking about reefer 450 but comparing it against non-AIO setup. I am trying to figure out the price difference between both. I know the reefer doesn't come with lighting and the price tag is ~$2200. I cannot have a hanging lighting setup so the lighting has to be resting on the tank. I am not sure what lighting setup works best for the reefer. I have some experience in salt water tanks but i didn't delve into core SPS corals so I don't have much knowledge when it comes to advanced lighting and dosing equipment. I currently have a apex system that is not being used. I will probably need to get new probes. Please advise!

StirCrayzy

You can't attach brackets to the walls behind the tank? There Is an RS member developing a REEFER specific light that rests on the edges and looks pretty nice too.
@dacianb , can link you to his build thread. If I had a rimless tank I would use something like his LEDs.

And WELCOME TO RS ! :cheers:

srkd

Thanks! I guess i could attach the lights to the walls. I haven't thought about that.

I have created a table to compare prices. I am not sure if other lighting, skimmer, pump, chiller options could lower the price a bit. Do you think my estimates are realistic? I didn't think RSR450 would also take me over $5000 at the end.

Aquariums cost comparison.JPG

Thanks for your help

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi srkd

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Sure some members can advise & the build...

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us when you get one so we can follow along - we love pics :)

I would also look at the lights Steveleds has for these RSM tanks
@StevesLEDs