NEW RED SEA REEFER SERIES TANKS

jtcplumb

Has anybody got their hands on a new reefer series tank yet ?? Any input on them was thinking of getting one instead of the c series. I heard from someone who just got back from the show that it is a beautiful tank. Leaves out equipment i.e. skimmer lights etc so you can pick and choose your own. Guess it is a semi solution to all asking for led lighting.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

They look very nice & allow one to select all their own custom components, have not seen one appear on RS yet, but I saw where Red Sea said there were arriving the states now, so they should show up soon :) I look forward to seeing some RS members builds !

JKT

I'm excited about this new tank as well. Being an owner of an rsm 250 I want to replace it with something much quieter. This tank looks nice and will allow me to choose quieter pumps, skimmer and lights than the loud stuff Red Sea seems to use.

jtcplumb

Thanks for reply. Which one would you recomend to buy between max c250 or one of the reefer tanks ? I am currently running my first salt water aquarium 29 bio cube for 4 months and already want to step up to a bigger tank. I have been running cichlid tanks all my life currently have a 130 gallon running. I want a few fish but mostly want to grow corals. Will start with soft corals and when i feel confident will buy some sps. Thanks for your time and replies..

jtcplumb

Hey JKT how long have you been running your 250 ? Is that the model before the max c 250. I was going to buy the newer one until I saw the reefer series with the same thought in mind being able to pick and choose lighting and skimmer etc

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
The RSM Club here on RS is full of lovely successful RSM 250 & RSM 250C 66 gallon tanks, more than one has won RS TOTM, you can have great success with either I have.

The RSM 250/250C does have an inclosed top, one nice advantage. But starting with the new reefer series is like what many RS members do, build custom tanks & select custom components, with the $$$ and making quality selections of equipment one sure could build a fantastic tank. Seems the new Reefer series gives everyone one more tank to consider...

See what others think that have built custom tanks.

Sidebar, my RSM 250 as quite as most tanks, imo and I have taken sound meter readings & posted about the DB levels, if this helps.

A picture worth a thousand words... here a few hundred full tank shots
Red Sea Max Full Tank Shot Photos

Last edited:

jtcplumb

Being in my office the closed top does have a nice sleek clean look no lights clipped to side or hanging from ceiling which I don't like for office look. I have a 29 bio cube now with one a360 kessil on it. I have read about lighting not being led having t5s and some had upgraded lighting with steves led lights. What is your thought on that ? Also does either 250 have over heating issues needing a chiller ?? Just trying to choose my next tank so I can have some time to grow with it. Thanks.

NickF

They have just put in an RSM reefer 450 in my LFS and it is indeed a beautiful tank, great build quality and as you said allows you to customise with whatever equipment you want. I was surprised that RSM brought out the reefer tanks with the E series supposedly coming out this year, although it seems to have gone vey quiet on the E series, and I guess the reefer series is for more experienced reefers and the E series is more for beginners like me (I'd would have preferred the E series to my C130, I love my tank but I'll probably end up modding it for LEDs)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
For anyone new to RSM tanks... the E series will be AIO tanks with Leds

I don't run a chiller, ambient home temp kept at 73F, tanks runs 81F which works fine for me

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
The E series is an AIO similar to the C series with Leds

Red Sea for a year... has just been saying... sometime in 2015

Last edited:

Pat24601

I was about to ask. Those are the pictures I remembered. I strongly prefer a close top. So, we will see...

Pat24601

Yeah, the open top is really the only thing I don't like about them. The rest makes me drool. Open top is a non-starter for me, though. My 1 year old boys would have foreign objects of all kinds in there before the tank was finished getting set up. :)

DaveK

I looked at the video and Red Sea's web site, which I find very annoying due to the pop ups. I got to admit that their Reefer system is great looking. I also like that it's using a bean animal overflow, which is known for being silent.

I see the big advantage here being that you can get the system and have it ready to go quickly. I spend days doing all the plumbing on my system.

I was not impressed with the ATO system. I think it's much too small and would be hard to fill since it's under the tank. My own reef can evaporate over a bucket of water a day. I also don't care for the use of a float valve, as my experience has been that they can fail in an open position.

I think the return could have been better. By placing it in the overflow, it is hidden, but this prevents you from getting the best flow through the tank. Expect to have to add a couple of flow pumps to the system.

I also would have liked to see provisions for using an external pump, especially with the trend toward controllable pumps.

I did see pricing information here (offsite) - http://reefbuilders.com/2014/11/19/red-sea-reefer-tanks-pricing-early-2015-delivery-date/ I'd say it was not exactly cheep, but reasonable for what your getting.

Overall, I didn't see too much you can't currently get in a reef system, but they did package it well and they should sell a lot of them.

JKT

Hey JKT how long have you been running your 250 ? Is that the model before the max c 250. I was going to buy the newer one until I saw the reefer series with the same thought in mind being able to pick and choose lighting and skimmer etc

I have the older RSM250, the model before the C series. I've made a number of mods to it to try and reduce both heat and noise.
Added:
Steve's LED's
Deltec 500 Skimmer
Arctica Chiller
Tunze ATO

The tank does a great job of keeping my fish and corals alive, but it's just annoyingly noisy. I'm interested in getting a tank that I can customize to ensure quiet operation while still taking good care fo the fishies and corals.

DaveK

The tank does a great job of keeping my fish and corals alive, but it's just annoyingly noisy. I'm interested in getting a tank that I can customize to ensure quiet operation while still taking good care fo the fishies and corals.

If this is your goal, they you most likely would want to custom build your own system to your own specifications. That way you get exactly what you want, and you can put the money into areas that will do you the most good.

Even the best pre-built systems are not going to be quite what your looking for, even if they are otherwise excellent.

As always, figure out what you want to keep and design the tank and the rest of the system around that.