NEW RED SEA REEFER SERIES TANKS

Pat24601

It's probably just as well the open top on the reefer or E-series doesn't work for me. I love my C-250, but I'd be tempted to upgrade a bit in both size and the other features I find cool (e.g. LED and more advanced sump). That would be a long conversation with my wife. Well, a short conversation, but a lot of glaring. :)

EdwoodWallaby

Pat,

How far off the wall does your C250 need to be? I'm contemplating S400 vs C250 vs REEFER 250 myself...

I am moving into a new house and need for the setup to be as close to the wall as possible. I have a pool table nearby...

I think I read that the S400 has to be 8" off the wall and didnt know if that was normal for the newer Red Sea models?

Many thanks in advance new to SW, new to this site!

Pat24601

Pat,

How far off the wall does your C250 need to be? I'm contemplating S400 vs C250 vs REEFER 250 myself...

I am moving into a new house and need for the setup to be as close to the wall as possible. I have a pool table nearby...

I think I read that the S400 has to be 8" off the wall and didnt know if that was normal for the newer Red Sea models?

Many thanks in advance new to SW, new to this site!

It really doesn't have to be very far from the wall at all. I think I left about 3 or 4 inches, which was basically the room I felt I wanted to get my hands back there to run cords if needed, but really you could get by with less if you really wanted to. I think that would probably be my minimum recommendation, though. It's nice to have a little room back there even if it isn't structly speaking needed.

At least, that's my view. See if others have a different one.

EdwoodWallaby

Ok great just wanted to double check! S400 has a door on the rear that needs to be accessible.. that's why I ask.

Love your tank - great work! Will hopefully be joining the RSM family soon. The E series and REEFER series look amazing as well but not sure I want to wait for E.

I looked around a little but didn't see any turnkey lighting solutions for the REEFER yet?

Pat24601

I think it's too new to have anything anyone would consider turnkey lighting solutions. Although, I think there are probably some options that are probably very straightforward. Not my area of expertise, though.

EdwoodWallaby

I think it's too new to have anything anyone would consider turnkey lighting solutions. Although, I think there are probably some options that are probably very straightforward. Not my area of expertise, though.
Understood - hopefully somebody will have a full setup for Reefer soon. My LFS said they were available now but need to talk to RSF for pricing and inventory etc.
I'm waiting to hear back. Sounds like demand is high for these right now.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

When you get a tank, start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

jtcplumb

What is the advantage of an open top verses a closed one ? Is it the top view of the corals ? I bet you get more water evaportion with that type of tank. I like the idea of starting with aio setup for beginers and switching to sump later on pretty cool idea ..
It's probably just as well the open top on the reefer or E-series doesn't work for me. I love my C-250, but I'd be tempted to upgrade a bit in both size and the other features I find cool (e.g. LED and more advanced sump). That would be a long conversation with my wife. Well, a short conversation, but a lot of glaring. :)
Hello Pat
How long have you been running your max c 250 setup ? What are you happy with and unhappy with ? I see some upgrade to steves led lights have you ? How is the lighting that comes with tank ? I am researching and looking into buying a red sea aquarium and trying to decide which one to get. Why are you thinking of upgrading ?? I currently running a 29 gallon biocube with a couple fish and soft and lps corals. Thanks.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
One huge advantage of a enclosed top is "no jumpers" it's real heart breaking to come home & find one of your beautiful fish dead on the floor... any fish might jump & many will jump, lots over come this with some modification, such as netting.

jtcplumb

Yes I have seen innovative open tanks which come with a plastic mesh to avoid this. I wonder why Red Sea didn't also do the same ? Also I feel enclosed top is neater as far as having your lighting in hood instead of hanging or clipping to side of tank. I have my bio cube in my office and having a outside light give a white or blue glare more so on my desk

Pat24601

Hello Pat
How long have you been running your max c 250 setup ? What are you happy with and unhappy with ? I see some upgrade to steves led lights have you ? How is the lighting that comes with tank ? I am researching and looking into buying a red sea aquarium and trying to decide which one to get. Why are you thinking of upgrading ?? I currently running a 29 gallon biocube with a couple fish and soft and lps corals. Thanks.

I've been running my C-250 for about 10 months. I'm actually very happy with it in almost every respect. Most of my reasons for considering another tank amount to "boys with toys". There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with it, but there are features I would like...in part just because I think they are cool, not because I need them.

I think the entire system is well put together. Lights, pumps, skimmer, sump, media rack, all work great and since it is all in one they fit well together and take up less space and look sleek. Even the "single plug" is quite nice. It's also easy to make the few upgrades I've made (ATO). As I've mentioned, I also love the closed top as opposed to an open top.

So, really I'm I'm thrilled with the C-250 as is. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

The things I'd like that it doesn't have are:
(1) LEDS: I don't need these. The T5s work great. But, I want them. The Steve's LEDs work well if you are a confident DIY guy. I am not and the horror stories of some of the installs has scared me off. The instructions I find downright intimidating. Many others tell me it's easy after you are done, just daunting before you start...if you know what I mean. ;)

(2) Size. 250 is a GREAT size. Not too big and not too small, but I wouldn't mind a tad bigger, but not a lot bigger. No more than 90 gallon. Too big and it just doesn't fit in my room well. I'm happy with the size, though. I'm not complaining. 90 gallon may even be too big. My wife would kill me if the tank took over the room. I'd look at it more and measure it out before I actually upgraded size. Upgrading from a 29gallon, I'd think that the 250 would seem like an awesome size. Of course, if I could really do it, I'd like to get one about the size of the living seas aquarium in Disney World, but that's a bit beyond my budget and size limitations. :)

(3) I like the idea of being able to add a more sophisticated sump in the base. Not that there is anything wrong with the rear sump. It can just give a bit more room and make it easier to add things like a phosban reactor or other things if I want to. Once again, is that a huge deal? Not really. Boys with toys.

jtcplumb

I've been running my C-250 for about 10 months. I'm actually very happy with it in almost every respect. Most of my reasons for considering another tank amount to "boys with toys". There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with it, but there are features I would like...in part just because I think they are cool, not because I need them.

I think the entire system is well put together. Lights, pumps, skimmer, sump, media rack, all work great and since it is all in one they fit well together and take up less space and look sleek. Even the "single plug" is quite nice. It's also easy to make the few upgrades I've made (ATO). As I've mentioned, I also love the closed top as opposed to an open top.

So, really I'm I'm thrilled with the C-250 as is. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

The things I'd like that it doesn't have are:
(1) LEDS: I don't need these. The T5s work great. But, I want them. The Steve's LEDs work well if you are a confident DIY guy. I am not and the horror stories of some of the installs has scared me off. The instructions I find downright intimidating. Many others tell me it's easy after you are done, just daunting before you start...if you know what I mean. ;)

(2) Size. 250 is a GREAT size. Not too big and not too small, but I wouldn't mind a tad bigger, but not a lot bigger. No more than 90 gallon. Too big and it just doesn't fit in my room well. I'm happy with the size, though. I'm not complaining. 90 gallon may even be too big. My wife would kill me if the tank took over the room. I'd look at it more and measure it out before I actually upgraded size. Upgrading from a 29gallon, I'd think that the 250 would seem like an awesome size. Of course, if I could really do it, I'd like to get one about the size of the living seas aquarium in Disney World, but that's a bit beyond my budget and size limitations. :)

(3) I like the idea of being able to add a more sophisticated sump in the base. Not that there is anything wrong with the rear sump. It can just give a bit more room and make it easier to add things like a phosban reactor or other things if I want to. Once again, is that a huge deal? Not really. Boys with toys.
Thanks so much for your time and input. I currently am running a 130 gallon fresh water Cichlid tank I have had a tank of some sort since I was a kid. Always wanting bigger and better LOL. I was thinking of converting my 130 to salt water but like you said it is huge firstly thinking of the maintenance and the water chances frightens me not to mention I got a quote around 7,000 to do it and I am sure that is not final answer. Owning a boat also all my life is same boy toy experience always upgrading to a bigger boat I stopped at a 34 ft for now unless I win the lotto or inherit 10,000,000 dollars from uncle waldo its not happening. I am leaning more towards the max c 250 for now as I have it in office and don't want the room to be completely blue when clients come in to see me. If I get a itch to upgrade lighting to LED I am a plumbing contractor which can do many different things and have a lot of electrician friends in case I open the box and get scared to attempt I will call them to put together. Being new in the salt water hobby I felt all alone for a while until I signed on here its like I instantly have a whole new family it really is great.. Thanks again Pat..

Pat24601

Makes sense. I really think if I had LED lighting, 90% of my excuse for wanting an upgrade would be gone. And, it's not even like I *need* LED lighting. T5s are great in every practical sense. I just think LEDs are cool.

I'll probably always want bigger than whatever I have. :) I actually debated heavily between the 500 and the 250 when I first bought and actually (perhaps surprisingly), I was glad I talked myself into the 250 once I actually got the tank in the room. The 500 would have been too imposing in my current space. So, now I think about a 90 gallon from time to time.

The 120 Cichlid tank sounds very cool. I always had freshwater before my current tank. Although, nothing as big as a 120.

jtcplumb

So with the stock lighting that comes with the set up are you happy with how the corals look ? Do they pop without the led lighting ? I have a kessil a360 on my bio cube with the controller and it really makes my corals and aquarium look awesome.

jtcplumb

jtcplumb

jtc - if you want to see a TOTM and one of the prettiest on RS (imo) running T5s check out GlennF's tank
January's TOTM!

http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/glennfs-300-gallon-dsr-mixed-reef-tank.88764/

I would like some great leds too, every-time I buy bulbs, but T5s are proven to work too - hope this helps !
Hello if i decide to go with the max c 250 closed hood unit it comes in two colors. I like to keep my tanks as clean looking as possible. With salt water it can be quite a job. With a closed in hood typ i see some videos after a while when hood was open it looked pretty salty in there. What color would be best to go with white or black ? White may hide that salty dirty look better than black.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
All a matter of opinion... what you like best... when the tanks 1st came out, there was only black, that is what I have and IMO looks classy, but I personally love the white ones :dance:

If it helps, I keep mind as clean as the day I bought it new, very easy to do, imo, with some weekly maintenance just wiping down.

jtcplumb

Thanks. Thats kind of what I was thinking also. I think the black is classy being into antiques and have a lot of oak antique furniture i think the black would fit in better. The white is nice but probably has more of a modern look like white furniture has but it is nice also. I have a black bio cube now that i keep very clean so I am sure like you I would do good with the black too.

Pat24601

I have black and I prefer it, but both are nice and surprisingly easy to keep clean. I'm not sure if they do something special to them, but they handle salt water very well.