Nano princess's 38 gallon nuvo tank - start date- Oct 6, 2011

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Think of it like this... if you're going to have something back there with lots of nooks and crannies that will catch detritus then it needs to be something you can pull out VERY often and clean/replace. That's where filter floss and sponges come into play. They are GREAT at mechanical filtration but they MUST be cleaned/replaced very often. In my RSM-130D I have a single sponge I rinse out several times a week. On top of that I run a single layer of filter floss that I change out DAILY! If I am going to be out of town I remove the filter floss and if I am going to be out more than a few days I will remove the sponge while I'm gone.

Re: Media Rack - I'm not sure. I don't run much media through my systems so I'm not the one to ask.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Granular Ferric Oxide

some good vids here... Bulk packaged Granular ferric oxide GFO for aquariums - English

The purpose of granular ferric oxide is to inhibit algae growth by removing phosphates from the aquarium. Maintaining low phosphate levels will help prevent algae outbreaks and control growth. Serious algae outbreak is one of the most common reasons for complete tank shutdown. GFO is an essential tool and should be part of regular tank maintenance

Granular ferric oxide comes in three different types.

* Granular GFO - requires the least amount of flow to tumble. (Good for reactors)

* Pelletized GFO- more uniform in shape and slightly harder (better for filter socks)

* High Capacity GFO is twice as dense as Granular or Pelletized GFO so twice as much material will fit into a reactor. It's extremely hard and has less dust. By volume High Capacity GFO will remove roughly twice the phosphate compared to Granular or Pelletized GFO. (Best overall performance)

Oct 13, 2011
Update- dh surprises wife with two fish in her cycling tank http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...tried-surprise-me-2-fish-my-cycling-tank.html
Tested water and headed out town-.. Hope my fish make it... Nirates and nitrites up.
Amonia .25
Ph 8.0
Nitrate 2
Nitrate 10
Do I start to do water changes since fish were added? No clue..kids home will test while gone and feed fish..still only see one fish- a clown - busy boy swimming all over tank. What kind of clown? Heck if I know

I do have my iPad on me..just can't do anything to the tank while I am gone.

zambono

can you use chemi-pure instead of GFO. I have a nano with macro algae, yet my nitrates are good. Not sure about my phosphates. By the way nice looking setup.

Re: Refugium set up- cheato, purigen, etc- during cycle, after- when?

Just checking in and updating my little post
Its now been 5 1/2 months since having a tank
Love it and not one fish has passed.

I do change water twice a month and have some snails and such I added a few months ago. Starfish too
its Beautiful.

Today is cleaning day and waterchanging.. but wanted to snap some photos of the tank before I clean it.
154.jpg

152.jpg

151.jpg

161.jpg

It's been 10 months since I started this journey. I have to say Iam so glad I did... I have kept it simple.. Lots of artificial coral- cause Iam fearful of corals. Well the other day I finally took the plunge and purchased my first corals. Mushroom toadstool, frogspawn and an aneneme. Bubble tip and my clown dove right in it. I had a clown but he didn't want anything to do with it, I just couldn't wait and be patient... So came home with another one today and he/ she dove in it. Whooot whoot
I will be adding some photos for your enjoyment and my own journal. I have changed my interior of my tank a dozen times. Heavy cleans I remove all the faux coral and place it back differently or add different pieces. Let's hope I do well on the real coral and eventually my tank will be free of faux in the future.
004tank.jpg

049abc.jpg

012abc.jpg

003abc.jpg

Yesterday and today- tank crashed. Have maybe one fish left, bubble tip on bottom of tank in sand. It is bubbly so maybe it's okay. Don't know much right now but super sad. It was all so beautiful and I was so proud of my tank. Being a newbie at this I thought I was doing great. wrong.. Took out most all faux coral, water change, added chemipure elite yesterday and today lost more fish.
Will be taking a sample of my water to the Lfs for further testing and go from there.

Let's see what could have gone wrong?

Toxins released from faux corals?, too over stocked?, added frogspawn, toad stool, anenome, and clownfish all within two days- mmnnnn too much at once?, coral warfare?( whatever that means?) temp on tank keeps registering 82-84 even with heater off.. How the heck do I get my water temp down?.

Going to run a water perimeter check right now myself, can't wait for Lfs test, let's see will update- here is my results
007.jpg

004-4.jpg

006-1.jpg

003-4.jpg

005.jpg

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
PS. Ammonia n trates should always =0. Its almost like ur just starting ur nitrogen cycle. Ur water is toxic as it stands.

..........I live my life as a warning to others.