My next controller . . .

DaveK

DaveK the last part of your statement is valid in most cases but with Profilux each unit is upgradeable to the next newer unit due to a modular system. For example the Profilux II can be upgraded to a Profilux IIex or Profilux III or Profilux IIIex via a card/module kit. You decide what "New Features" you want/need and order the appropriate upgrade kit. This keeps even first generation controllers still up to date and as "Current" as you want without having to scrap replace existing hardware. Believe me I've done that before and it SUCKS! I know that DaveK already touched on this but I felt the need/urge to delve a bit deeper on this topic. ...

I know this sounds great, but from personal experience with a lot of electronics, and especially computer systems, I can state that I have never seen anyone support the older hardware or software for more that about two generations back from whatever is current today, unless you pay them on a time and materials basis.

I have been burned far too many time by clames of being able to upgrade, only to find out later that if the upgrade wasn't done almost right away, forget about it. Now a small company like ProfiLux may support the older products a bit longer, but the simple economic facts are that they just will not be able to afford to do it.

As i pointed out before, the technology changes very fast, and if your going to stay competitive, you must be working on the replacement products almost as soon as you ship what is current. This in turn forces changes in the hardware design, obsoletes the old hardware quickly.

Case in point. Every upgrade a mother board in a current personal computer? Even if it's only a couple of years old, and everything in the computer is up to spec, you almost always end up replacing the processor, and memory, and often the power supply in addition to the motherboard. Unless your a fanatic like myself, your better off just getting a new computer.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't get the product. Even if you can no longer upgrade the hardware or software, the controller should still work for you. I'm just sort of warning everyone not to get the product based upon emotion, but because you have some serious plans for a serious controller. Of course, having a lot of money to do this with helps ... a lot! (grin)

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here is one of the major reasons why I'm so interested in the Profilux controller... it does "This" so well

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFvxpYdkjQo[/YOUTUBE]

Val

If I hit the lottery I'll get one of those. ;) But until then I'll just have to make do.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've got my ProfiLux hopefully being sent to me tomorrow. I found someone (by pure luck) who wanted an AC Jr to DOWNGRADE from GHL ProfiLux and I just HAPPEN to be wanting a ProfiLux and have an AC Jr. He should ship it tomorrow. Maybe.. just maybe by this weekend i'll have LIGHTNING on my tank!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's currently "Out for Delivery" on the UPS truck right now. I may come down with "Tank-itus" when it arrives and have to run home to install it ASAP :LOL:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Pics and details :)

Got another package huh :p

ROFL! Yes another package but this one didn't come with me being red-faced and wondering "what the heck is in this box and can I open it in public :LOL:"

Eric that was too funny bro!!

I didn't get notification that this thread had been replied to!!

I have a couple of pics but PhotoBucket is doing "Site Maintenance" at the moment so I can't get to them. I'll post them shortly though!!

:)

My only regret on this controller is that I didn't get it a LOT sooner! It's a blast to play with and I love it when totally at random (I also have 4 User Defined times for a Thunderstorm each day) the system lights (T5's, MH's, Moon, and/or Fuge) go OFF and the Thunderstorm starts approaching. Lightning flashing here.. there ... seemingly every where. As the main lights go OFF the "Interior Moon-phase" become apparent and over the course of the storm the Moon fades to total blackness as the storm nears and the clouds totally block out the Moon.. the whole time the lightning gets brighter and more frequent... then 2/3 the way through the moon starts to slowly ramp up as the lightning dwindles in brightness and intensity until finally the SYSTEM lights come back on and the storm has "Passed". Here's how it looks on paper
  • Thunderstorm Starts
    [*]System lights OFF
    [*]Moonphase lights now visible dimly lighting tank (brightness is synched with current phase of the moon.. literally matching what you'd see outside)​
    [*]Lightning starts but it's faint and minimal in frequency​
    [*]as the minutes pass by the Moon dims more and more and the Lightning increases in every respect.​
    [*]About 1/3 the way into the "Storm" the moon is completely dark (as is the tank now) and the STORM is really kicking it up.​
    [*]About 2/3 of the way the moon starts to barely shine again and slowly increases as the lightning dwindles. Finally once the storm has "Passed" the SYSTEM lights come back ON and the storm is over.​

My plan is to incorporate SOUND (thunder, rain, wind etc) as well as potentially utilizing this time as my ATO and having the water be "Rained" directly into my Display Tank. This will take time and lots of experimenting to get it right.

I now "Trigger" a thunderstorm every night last thing before I go to bed and I sit in total darkness for 10 - 20 minutes watching my own little thunderstorm. Life is GOOD!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Are you going to post us a vid? Would love to see one :)

Glenn I tried to take a Video but the darkness to brightness freaks out my camera.... it goes from TOO dark to see to the whole screen WHITE... I gotta work out how to make the camera find a "Happy Medium"....

Have you seen the video that got me wanting this controller?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Have you seen the video that got me wanting this controller?

I did ... it was Very Very Cool !!!
1085.gif

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here are some "rough" pics of the Simu-Stick (aka GHL Lightning Tube) mounted to my light fixture

IMG_8118.jpg

IMG_8121.jpg

That handles the Lightning, Sunrise/Sunset (red/orange LEDs) and the Moon phase. All automatically controlled by the ProfiLux unit. You just plug it in and stand back LOL!