My next controller . . .

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
They seem real nice but I don't know if I can justify the $$$. Out of curiosity I would also like to hear more about these controllers. :)

There are alot of neat features but also a few I can't or won't use.

marine281

Nice, I'm sure everyone here will be very jealous when you get hold of one of those :)

I think Geismann make a light unit like that too, simulates sunrise/sunset, as well as lunar cycles.

Lot of $$ though!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Eric I have to agree that there are several "Features" that many of us wont ever use but that is also part of the "allure" for this unit in my eyes. It's potential is stupendous in addition to expandability. I know several of the things I want to do with it are for "show" and wont help the tank in the least but that's something I'm very interested in. I'm a lightning NUT and the mere thought of adding that to my tank just... well I just REALLY like it.. a LOT :)

cindyp

cool I love it too:)
I just got 2 MP 40 es for the 180 and love being able to change my flow in the tank. hmm the light show with this is very cool. I love new toys I will need to check it out more. Thanks BigAl!

cindyp

I figure considering what we all spend on corals & fish the price isn't that bad and the corals and fish would probably love it. I think the more we can simulate a natural environment the better Imo:)
I will remind Hubby that my Bday is in June:D
keep us updated I would love to see video of this on your tank:)
meanwhile I am gonna read some more about it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Cindy this is a "way off" project. I'm still getting the house drawn that this tank will go in. Lots of hurdles and speed bumps ahead of me so far. So with that being said I want to see video of it on YOUR tank :)

cindyp

Cindy this is a "way off" project. I'm still getting the house drawn that this tank will go in. Lots of hurdles and speed bumps ahead of me so far. So with that being said I want to see video of it on YOUR tank :)
will do :read:

nunlef

this one must be incredibly fancy, I can't even find someone that sells it. I saw a couple threads here started by people that own it, but they were really old.

Love to hear from someone that uses it to it's full capacity.

nunlef

it looks neat. I don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's a cool idea.

Buy one soon, and let us know if it makes your life easier. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
it looks neat. I don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's a cool idea.
Wait till you see one in action and see ALL it can do :) You'll think it's the 8th wonder of the world. It's rumored that GHL has designed this latest version to allow for HOME Automation to be incorporated as well in the very near future. That's BETTER than sliced bread if you're a "Gadget Geek" like me :)

Buy one soon, and let us know if it makes your life easier. :)

I've already located a local dealer and plan to sit down with him and go over my "needs" (wife calls them WANTS...) to tailor a package to my exact needs(wants). It's still a good ways off but at least I'll have some $ figures to work with and I can buy the stuff local to me.

nunlef

maybe I just don't understand what they do. The description I read made it sound like it took a temperature reading and timed lighting. It must do more than that, but I couldn't figure out what. Also, It sounded like one would need to buy ONLY tunze powerheads, and ONLY lighting by AI, etc.

I like the idea of flexibility, maybe it was just my interpretation of the description, but it sounded like it facilitated only a few pre-set options. I could have also been reading about the wrong product :eek: I quit smoking a couple days ago, and I'm having a hard time focusing ;)

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I just can't justify it "for my system" ;) I have tried and tried.

One of the biggest advantages of this unit, is the wave maker setup, since I have the oceans motions setup that is useless to me.

Just a lot of stuff I wouldn't use, I can't exspand when I have something that is equally as good IMHO

I can see why somone would want it but I'll take another route.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Eric I can see exactly why you aren't interested in one. That's pretty easy to understand :)

Heather I'm not sure what you read but I can whole heartedly assure take a temp reading. It uses that temp reading to control the heater,chiller, fans etc. Whatever you want to happen at whatever temperature. It can control Dosers, Pumps, take PH, SG readings... and a whole list of things. In all reality it can do as little or as MUCH as you like.

Now in all reality this particular controller is WAY over-kill and not something you'll see on very many tanks. It's the Mack-Daddy of controllers.

One thing I can say is after reading what happened to a fellow-ette RS member yesterday... I wont run any Reef Tank without some type of Heater Controller. I can see why a whole system controller isn't feasible but having something to turn the heater On & Off without relying on the whimpy built in thermostat. Her heater stuck in the ON position and literally cooked the entire tank over-night. When she got up yesterday morning every single thing
in her tank was dead. All coral, fish, inverts EVERYTHING gone.

If you want a simple "Heater Controller" there are a couple on the marker and I think they are less than $100 each. For that same amount you could install a simple ReefKeeper Lite Aquarium Controller and be able to control more than just the heater.

Heather just for fun (and because I like reading it) here are some of the "Generic" specs of the unit (add optional modules and you can do think like Automatic Water Changes etc). Granted some of this is overly technical but hopefully it'll at least shed some light on just how Dynamic this unit really is. . . .

ProfiLux 3 Technical overview

Functions &features (dependent on the available hardware)

• Measurement & control of pH-value, temperature, Redox, conductivity (salt or fresh water), oxygen, humidity, air temperature, all sensors are galvanically isolated.
• Seasonal temperature courses.
• Automatic calibration of all sensors.
• Auto top off, automatic water change, leakage detection.
• Illumination control for dimmable (1-10V-interfaces or DALI) and non-dimmable lamps, calendar-based moon phases, storms, also seasonally variable illumination possible including thunderstorm simulations using the GHL LED sticks and spots.
• AC dimmable ballast controllable eg Phillips advanced mark 10.
• Aqua Illumination compatible unlocking the true capabilities of the aqua illumination system.
• TMC Aqua Ray controllable.
• 8 x Tunze stream controllable with the addition of a single cable, no Tunze controller required. Tunze wave box controllable.
• Hydor Koralia 12v controllable using pump control-1 expansion box.
• Pump control for controllable and non-controllable pumps (see above), different pump groups with different settings, waves, ebb-flow, surge, random, sequences, shortest wave duration 0,4 s, therefore also suited for wave boxes .
• Dosing pump control, GHL dosing pump systems.
• Universal timers, shortest switching time 1s.
• Integrated web-server (display of values and configuration, remote programming), own website can be loaded, compatible with all current browsers.
• Integrated e-mail-client (sending of e-mails in case of an alarm).
• PIN-protection.
• Reminder functions.
• Optical and acoustic alarm.
• Feeding pause and maintenance function.
• Safety functions, e.g. redundant sensors, monitoring of the sensor function, value check.
• Due to simple software updates (device doesn’t need to be opened for this), always the newest functions are available.
• Large internal storage for measured values for all sensors, according to the setting, you can store measured values up to several years.
• Switch-on delay of sockets after blackout.
• Programmable logic.
• PC-software available for FREE.
• 100%-downwardly compatible: hardware of ProfiLux Plus II can be used further on (e.g. expansion cards, powerbars, ProfiLux View II).
• ProfiLux Plus II can be upgraded to ProfiLux 3, ProfiLux Plus II (eX) can be upgraded to ProfiLux 3 (eX) with an Upgrade-Kit.
• Connection of external display and operating units (ProfiLux View-PAB) possible, also several to one system.
• Internal clock keeps on running also during a blackout (Goldcap instead of battery, therefore no battery change necessary).
• All settings remain also during blackout.
• Universal analog (0 - 10 V) and digital inputs.

DaveK

I think the ProfiLux 3 is in interesting controller. It can do a lot of interesting things, especially with the lighting. I could see this being fantastic on a reef system that is on public display.

Things I like that make it special -

Direct interface to other manufacturers pumps and other devices.
Web based interface for easy setup and programming.
Upgradeable with add on modules.
Seems to be able to retain setting through a blackout, and doesn't seem to need a battery.

Most of the other items would be available on any decent controller or be of limited value.

As far as programming goes, if you wanted to put the time, effort and money into it, you could program most other "full function" controllers to do most of the things the ProfiLux 3 does.

One big item to consider with the purchase of any sophisticated, complex, state of the art electronic gear is that the product life cycle, as far as the manufacturer goes is only a few years at best. In other words, as cool as this controller is today, in 3 years or so, it will be replaced by something much better. Once that happens, parts, support, software, and upgrades will be limited. And, this will happen, simply because the chip manufacturers will no longer be making the chips needed for the now old model. Note, we are talking about the controller itself, not the external stuff, like probes and powerstrips.

This means that your big investment, of possibly thousands is now worth very little, even if it's still working.

Like may other state of the art items, make sure this is really going to something for you before you make the initial investment. As usual, compute the total cost of ownership, and the return on investment. Remember. you'll need to replace it in 5 or 6 years if you want to stay state of the art. Keep in mind that a lessor controller may be able to do all you need.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I know it sounds like I work for the Profilux team or their marketing group but I can assure you I don't LOL!

DaveK the last part of your statement is valid in most cases but with Profilux each unit is upgradeable to the next newer unit due to a modular system. For example the Profilux II can be upgraded to a Profilux IIex or Profilux III or Profilux IIIex via a card/module kit. You decide what "New Features" you want/need and order the appropriate upgrade kit. This keeps even first generation controllers still up to date and as "Current" as you want without having to scrap replace existing hardware. Believe me I've done that before and it SUCKS! I know that DaveK already touched on this but I felt the need/urge to delve a bit deeper on this topic.

Also they are very active with their software/firmware upgrades and offer them for FREE vie their website. They have some of the best support that I've seen in consumer level products.

This controller can had for as little as $499 or as much as $2499.00 (and more depending on what EXTRAS your set-up requires). It's truly as MUCH or as little as you need.

nunlef

It would be cool. I think some newer-to-the-hobby people might not be able to appreciate the capabilities. Right now I have 4 corals (and one of those is being trampled by cyano) and 2 fish. That's it. I'm still in the phase of "what fish do i buy" and "can I keep that coral".

I could see myself being interested in that technology when I have reached max bioload. I'm going to agree with your wife calling them "wants" - of course that may be a gender thing, because my husband often claims something is a "need" when it comes to cars and computers, and I think he's crazy. ;)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Heather I think you may want to look at some additional flow in there...

I do agree that this is a "Hey Watch This" kind of gadget!

And I'm just like your hubby... anything I really want I somehow find a way to NEED it and JUSTIFY it! Heck if I try hard enough I can show where it's "On Sale at a GREAT deal!"