My next controller . . .

Max250

Hi BigAl :) I've ordered a profilux 3 with full led stick and spot. The LEDs look easy to install in a Max tank.

Have you sussed out all its features? It looks like I'll need a computer science degree just to understand their help forums, let alone the controller. What other features do you use?

I've ordered the digital basic, couldn't afford the EX/PAB, is it the basic you have?

Can the LEDs be programmed to give white light and not just red/blue? I want to use it as a transition light as well as sunrise/sunset/moon. It looks easy enough to add some rain as well, I was thinking just a pump and spraybar for that.

Will the profilux 2 modules fit in the profilux 3? I'll probably want to add conductivity/salinity probe in the future. (I knew I should have saved up for the EX model lol).

I've had a few problems with my vortechs so might switch to tunze stream to create a proper to-and-fro motion using the controller.

Without upgrading, how many LEDs can you attatch to the controller? Are you using the splitter cable?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hi BigAl :) I've ordered a profilux 3 with full led stick and spot. The LEDs look easy to install in a Max tank.
Yes the LED stick is a breeze to install. It's simply a pair "friction bands" held together by one screw each. It took me longer to get my fixture off the tank and onto my workbench than to drill the two holes, attach the LED stick and secure the wire.It's a snap to install the light-stick.

Have you sussed out all its features? It looks like I'll need a computer science degree just to understand their help forums, let alone the controller. What other features do you use?
On my goodness no. I don't know that anyone can or HAS used "all the features" of this unit. It's kind of mind boggling when you see all the things this unit CAN do. It's got so many features built-in but then once you get a grasp of HOW things work you can go crazy making up your own things. I've only just touched one the basics of lighting and LOVE IT! The trick is to pick one simple feather and learn how it works. Once you get the basics down the rest isn't as complicated (yeah right LOL ).

I've ordered the digital basic, couldn't afford the EX/PAB, is it the basic you have?
I have the P+2 and yes it's the "Basic" of the P2 series with the PLUS upgrade. I think you'll probably want the EX/PAB upgrade ASAP! That really makes this unit SHINE and allows you so much flexibility that it's almost daunting to think about it LOL!

Can the LEDs be programmed to give white light and not just red/blue? I want to use it as a transition light as well as sunrise/sunset/moon. It looks easy enough to add some rain as well, I was thinking just a pump and spraybar for that.
Yes you have FULL control of the "Color" of the LED stick. I don't know about "Just White" because I'm not sitting in front of it but you can control the white/blue portion independently of the RED/ORANGE because they are on a different channel. I have mine on "Transition" as well as Moon light. It's awesome how the MOON aspect is in synch with the REAL phase of the moon. When the moon is FULL out at night I walk through the house and my tank exactly replicates that. The "Lightning" is what sold me on this unit and I'd do it again today if I had to. I've got 4 pre-set "Storms" during the day as well as several small "random" storms that just "Happen" here and there. It's AWESOME to see all the tank lights go OFF and the LED bar comes on FULL. Then as the storm "approaches" the LED dims and "lightning" becomes more frequent and more intense. Around the half-way point of the "storm" the LED is completely OFF and the lightning is at FULL intensity and MAX frequency for a few minutes (depending on total storm duration). Then it reverses and the storm weakens and the LEDs brighten again (As the clouds move off) and when the storm is over NORMAL tank lights reset (whatever they were before the storm). This is a SWEET thing to watch and something EVERYONE gets to see at the house. I'd LOVE to have the $$$ to add more light-sticks and some Simu-Spots to really kick the "lightning" up to a whole other level.

Yes "RAIN" is possible and a few people have already done that. It's fairly simple to have a pump come "On" with the storm to simulate RAIN.

Will the profilux 2 modules fit in the profilux 3? I'll probably want to add conductivity/salinity probe in the future. (I knew I should have saved up for the EX model lol).
Anything for a previous model will work in a current model. There are a few newer options that wont work with older units (PAB type stuff) but it all works with the P3. You really should go ahead and go for the EX upgrade now instead of nickle and dime here on out. I wish I would have!!

I've had a few problems with my vortechs so might switch to tunze stream to create a proper to-and-fro motion using the controller.
They are currently developing the Vortech module that I believe will use the PAB to control your Vortechs but of course it will control the TUNZE already.

Without upgrading, how many LEDs can you attatch to the controller? Are you using the splitter cable?
I have no idea how many. I would imagine with an ingenious splitter arrangement several. I really don't know as I only have ONE Simu-stick at the moment.

Congrats on the purchase. It's an amazing system but for the first few weeks be prepared to scratch your head and get confused! It's worth the efforts though. There are several "Resources" available for help if you get stuck. I've spent MANY hours looking over them and will be glad to link you when you need them.

Good luck :)

Allen

Max250

Thanks Allen. I'll take it one step at a time, starting with the lighting, that's overwhelming enough. Cheers, I'll get back to you... :)

Willie McDaries

Eric I have to agree that there are several "Features" that many of us wont ever use but that is also part of the "allure" for this unit in my eyes. It's potential is stupendous in addition to expandability. I know several of the things I want to do with it are for "show" and wont help the tank in the least but that's something I'm very interested in. I'm a lightning NUT and the mere thought of adding that to my tank just... well I just REALLY like it.. a LOT :)

Al,I can see why you'd want that,that was awesome seeing a thunderstorm on that tank.......I believe we could come up with you a DIY artificial thunderstorm for less $ than that controller system....why couldn't a person get a set of LED Christmas lights that blink to simulate lightning and I'm sure there's a recording somewhere of a thunderstorm that you could play on the stereo for the sound effects and add a powerhead to a spray bar to simulate the rain fall and add it all to a timer for night time viewing,it'd be a lot cheaper :D

I may try my idea,if I do,I'll post my results on here....it'll be after Christmas though,there's no LED Christmas lights available right now at wally world :lol:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Al,I can see why you'd want that,that was awesome seeing a thunderstorm on that tank.......I believe we could come up with you a DIY artificial thunderstorm for less $ than that controller system....why couldn't a person get a set of LED Christmas lights that blink to simulate lightning and I'm sure there's a recording somewhere of a thunderstorm that you could play on the stereo for the sound effects and add a powerhead to a spray bar to simulate the rain fall and add it all to a timer for night time viewing,it'd be a lot cheaper :D

I may try my idea,if I do,I'll post my results on here....it'll be after Christmas though,there's no LED Christmas lights available right now at wally world :lol:

I'm sure you can come up with something like that and it would look/work great. I'd like to see what you end up with.

The more I DO with this controller the more I WANT to do with it. Keep in mind this is controlling my Lights (T5's, MH, Fuge light, Sump Light, Moon light, Sunrise/Sunset, and Lightning), Return Pump, Power heads, and heaters. Yes the Thunderstorm is what caught my eye but I am a controller NUT. I wont run another tank without one and this controller just happens to be absolutely the best one I've had or been around. I think it has a "Lawn Mower" and a "Dish Washer" function hidden in it somewhere LOL!

Willie McDaries

I'm sure you can come up with something like that and it would look/work great. I'd like to see what you end up with.

The more I DO with this controller the more I WANT to do with it. Keep in mind this is controlling my Lights (T5's, MH, Fuge light, Sump Light, Moon light, Sunrise/Sunset, and Lightning), Return Pump, Power heads, and heaters. Yes the Thunderstorm is what caught my eye but I am a controller NUT. I wont run another tank without one and this controller just happens to be absolutely the best one I've had or been around. I think it has a "Lawn Mower" and a "Dish Washer" function hidden in it somewhere LOL!

:lol: I've read great reviews about it and the only complaint with it was people having trouble understanding the instructions....I use an AC Jr. that controls everything on my tank,I'd never go back to individual timers again,a controller is so much more reliable,some day I'd like to advance to a better controller and have all those cool gadgets too.....if you ever figure out the lawnmower an dishwasher apps in it,let me know how they works,my wife may let me go ahead and order one for the dishwasher mode if it works good :lol:

I'm a tech nut too and stuff like your thunderstorm amazes me....I like to DIY if I can but there's really not an inexpensive way to replicate what your controller and system does,your lights will flash faster and more random(like actual lightning)than any Christmas lights will...and then having it fixed to automatically occur would require your controller any way....but I'm gonna ponder on it and see what I can come up with...making the LED light strip wouldn't be too difficult but controlling it would be a whole other story :lol:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Willie I don't know if I ever mentioned this but that AC Jr is exactly what I traded in order to get this ProfiLux unit. The guy who had it wanted something "Easier" to program and he had experience with an AC Jr so we worked out a deal. Once you get the hang of how the menu works and when you connect it to a PC and use the PLC software it gets SOOOOO much easier!!

Willie McDaries

Willie I don't know if I ever mentioned this but that AC Jr is exactly what I traded in order to get this ProfiLux unit. The guy who had it wanted something "Easier" to program and he had experience with an AC Jr so we worked out a deal. Once you get the hang of how the menu works and when you connect it to a PC and use the PLC software it gets SOOOOO much easier!!

yep I read that you did some trading with your AC Jr. to get it....I couldn't get that lucky :D

I have an old laptop connected to my AC Jr.,it's much easier to use like that,I figured those would be too...even though the AC Jr. is easy to program,without the laptop,when I tried to reprogram,I'd forget where I was at(not the controllers fault that I'm forgetful...it's old age setting in :lol:)with the laptop I can reprogram and see all the programs at once.....I don't have any problems like that :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Al,I was checking your controller out on the GHL Direct web site GHL Direct - Buy GHL Profilux Controllers Online that thing is amazing,it is expandable to everything you could possibly think of,it's set up kinda like a PC with the expansion slots....it's a little pricy but there's ain't much it can't do :D

Willie I'm glad you took the time to look into it. This thing really is amazing. The amount of "thought" that has gone into it is amazing. It would be so easy to make a system that's NOT backwards compatible but they go the extra 10 miles to make it b/c.

Yes it's expandable from the most basic unit (like I bought) up to the same model that was just released earlier this year. You can do as little or as much with it. If you have a limited budget you can start small and as you have money/needs you can add features/components.

To say it's freaking SWEET is an understatement.

Willie McDaries

Willie I'm glad you took the time to look into it. This thing really is amazing. The amount of "thought" that has gone into it is amazing. It would be so easy to make a system that's NOT backwards compatible but they go the extra 10 miles to make it b/c.

Yes it's expandable from the most basic unit (like I bought) up to the same model that was just released earlier this year. You can do as little or as much with it. If you have a limited budget you can start small and as you have money/needs you can add features/components.

To say it's freaking SWEET is an understatement.

they even have an upgrade to the III version but you have to send your unit back to them to have it installed.....

I've been looking at the Apex because it's B/C too and it's full of feature and I'd still be able to use my DC4HD and DC8 with it but the more I read about the profilux the more I like it......

if someone would come up with an adapter so you could use accessories from the other controller brands,it'd be sweet,then again it might be like putting a Chevette engine in a Corvette :lol:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
they even have an upgrade to the III version but you have to send your unit back to them to have it installed.....

I've been looking at the Apex because it's B/C too and it's full of feature and I'd still be able to use my DC4HD and DC8 with it but the more I read about the profilux the more I like it......

if someone would come up with an adapter so you could use accessories from the other controller brands,it'd be sweet,then again it might be like putting a Chevette engine in a Corvette :lol:

:LOL:

Yeah I think my next "Move" is to upgrade my unit to the PIIIex. I'll have to see what Santa Clause has in store for me this year LOL!

Seriously if you're interested in a unit just take some time and look around. I just happened to mention in a thread I had interest in a ProfiLux and the guy PM'd me with an offer. If you want new you can check out
Progressive Reef - Buy GHL Profilux Controllers & Accessories Online - Dosing, Lighting, Fans, Propeller Breeze, Expansion Cards, Cables, Controllers, EX

I know they are available other places but this guy USES them and has been a tremendous help to many of us.

Willie if I can help in any way (other than send you $$ :LOL: ) just let me know.

Once you get your ProfiLux up and running you'll throw rocks are your AC Jr and laugh at APEX.

One other note I may or may NOT have mentioned . . . these units are designed to control BIG tanks, Small tanks, Ponds, and much more. Also I heard through the grapevine that there really is a "Home Automation" module in the works. I'll be controlling my tank, the house and maybe my lawn-mower LOL from my BlackBerry :)

Willie McDaries

:LOL:

Yeah I think my next "Move" is to upgrade my unit to the PIIIex. I'll have to see what Santa Clause has in store for me this year LOL!

Seriously if you're interested in a unit just take some time and look around. I just happened to mention in a thread I had interest in a ProfiLux and the guy PM'd me with an offer. If you want new you can check out
Progressive Reef - Buy GHL Profilux Controllers & Accessories Online - Dosing, Lighting, Fans, Propeller Breeze, Expansion Cards, Cables, Controllers, EX

I know they are available other places but this guy USES them and has been a tremendous help to many of us.

Willie if I can help in any way (other than send you $$ :LOL: ) just let me know.

Once you get your ProfiLux up and running you'll throw rocks are your AC Jr and laugh at APEX.

One other note I may or may NOT have mentioned . . . these units are designed to control BIG tanks, Small tanks, Ponds, and much more. Also I heard through the grapevine that there really is a "Home Automation" module in the works. I'll be controlling my tank, the house and maybe my lawn-mower LOL from my BlackBerry :)

Al,you could send money too if you want JK if I ever get 1,I'll be hollering at ya :lol:

thanks for the link,I'll bookmark it,they're better priced there than where I found 'em at...it'll be a while before I can get 1 of 'em,it's just not a top priority at the moment :D
I'm still recovering from the cut in hrs we had at work last year,we are back up to par at work but I got way behind.....my tank's been kinda on hold for the last few months,I've just been trying to keep what I have alive and hanging out on these forums and dreaming/planning what I want to do next to it for the past few months :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Al,you could send money too if you want JK if I ever get 1,I'll be hollering at ya :lol:

thanks for the link,I'll bookmark it,they're better priced there than where I found 'em at...it'll be a while before I can get 1 of 'em,it's just not a top priority at the moment :D
I'm still recovering from the cut in hrs we had at work last year,we are back up to par at work but I got way behind.....my tank's been kinda on hold for the last few months,I've just been trying to keep what I have alive and hanging out on these forums and dreaming/planning what I want to do next to it for the past few months :D

I know what you mean. I've just been "Maintaining" for several months here as well. If you were to decide you wanted to "Take the Plung" I may know where a PIIIex (with tons of goodies) is located that the guy is potentially not going to install it. It's all sitting in his office waiting to install it. He mentioned that he may not do it because he doesn't want to learn to operate a new system just for a couple of features. He's really only interested in Dosing Pumps and they can be purchased as stand-alone or as ProfiLux controlled.

Willie McDaries

thanks Al,for all the input,it'll be a while before I take a plung that deeply.....

not meaning to throw this thread off topic but a while back,you were planning to build a house,have you made any headway on that endeavorer....your 90g build thread has advanced so rapidly that I haven't been able to keep up :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
thanks Al,for all the input,it'll be a while before I take a plung that deeply.....

not meaning to throw this thread off topic but a while back,you were planning to build a house,have you made any headway on that endeavorer....your 90g build thread has advanced so rapidly that I haven't been able to keep up :D

I'm hoping to hear from the Architect TODAY! He's being UBER slow with the plans but I can't complain he's doing them for almost nothing. All I lack is the bank's approval and I'm ready to start pulling permits. We've already started working on the land (cutting trees etc).

LOL!~ The 90g is just on Auto-Pilot. I just scrape the glass and do my water changes. I feed now and again :LOL: but I'm just letting everything "Grow In" so I'll have a good inventory for the BIG tank when the house is complete.

:)

Willie McDaries

I'm hoping to hear from the Architect TODAY! He's being UBER slow with the plans but I can't complain he's doing them for almost nothing. All I lack is the bank's approval and I'm ready to start pulling permits. We've already started working on the land (cutting trees etc).

LOL!~ The 90g is just on Auto-Pilot. I just scrape the glass and do my water changes. I feed now and again :LOL: but I'm just letting everything "Grow In" so I'll have a good inventory for the BIG tank when the house is complete.

:)

great news!!! glad your still going forward with the big tank plans,can't wait to see it progress,I hope you'll include the house build in here somewhere too...it'll be a big part of the big tank build you know :D

I wish you lived closer,I'd love to get in on that build with you,it's gonna be great...good luck with everything

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
great news!!! glad your still going forward with the big tank plans,can't wait to see it progress,I hope you'll include the house build in here somewhere too...it'll be a big part of the big tank build you know :D

I wish you lived closer,I'd love to get in on that build with you,it's gonna be great...good luck with everything

Man that would be good if you lived closer. I'm sure I'm gonna need a LOT of help!! I would LOVE to hear from the Architect today because I'm just waiting on some final dimensions for a room and a wall to start actually working on the tank design. There were some "Door to stair" issues with how I wanted things so I've got to see how he resolved the issues. Once I know those dimensions I can start getting some idea/plans together and start pricing things. I'm afraid the cost of it will be rather shocking LOL!

Yes I'll probably do a "House/Tank" build thread because in reality the TANK is going to be a integrated into a large portion of the house. The main system will be on the Main level built into the wall with the Fish Room behind it. All the mechanicals will be housed in the basement along with frag tanks etc.

I can't even get my mind wrapped around all the different things I can and want to control/monitor with the ProfiLux PII+. I'm gonna send it off and have it upgraded to a PIIIex+Power Bars and the works! I should be able to control somewhere around 256 different items (pumps, lights, heaters, dishwasher) with it!!

Willie McDaries

Man that would be good if you lived closer. I'm sure I'm gonna need a LOT of help!! I would LOVE to hear from the Architect today because I'm just waiting on some final dimensions for a room and a wall to start actually working on the tank design. There were some "Door to stair" issues with how I wanted things so I've got to see how he resolved the issues. Once I know those dimensions I can start getting some idea/plans together and start pricing things. I'm afraid the cost of it will be rather shocking LOL!

Yes I'll probably do a "House/Tank" build thread because in reality the TANK is going to be a integrated into a large portion of the house. The main system will be on the Main level built into the wall with the Fish Room behind it. All the mechanicals will be housed in the basement along with frag tanks etc.

I can't even get my mind wrapped around all the different things I can and want to control/monitor with the ProfiLux PII+. I'm gonna send it off and have it upgraded to a PIIIex+Power Bars and the works! I should be able to control somewhere around 256 different items (pumps, lights, heaters, dishwasher) with it!!

I may have to plan some vacation time around your build and come visit,I'm sure there's some good camping areas out that way aren't they ? :D

we took a little vacation in North Charleston,SC during the 4th this year,a beautiful city I might add,we were in Kill Devil Hills,NC on vacation about 13yrs ago too

you know,it's odd,I love my saltwater tank but don't really care that much for visiting the ocean,my kids love it though :)

you had to sneak the dishwasher in there to make sure I was paying attention didn't you :lol:

have you considered building the tank using plywood ? you could go a lot bigger with less money and while you're building the house,the contractor could do most of the construction for you as far as structural support

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I may have to plan some vacation time around your build and come visit,I'm sure there's some good camping areas out that way aren't they ? :D

we took a little vacation in North Charleston,SC during the 4th this year,a beautiful city I might add,we were in Kill Devil Hills,NC on vacation about 13yrs ago too

you know,it's odd,I love my saltwater tank but don't really care that much for visiting the ocean,my kids love it though :)

We have some AMAZING camping areas around here. From Mild to "Out Back Rustic". It just depends on what you're tastes are like. Actually we camp several times a year here ourselves. We have a big "Group" camp weekend coming up in just a few weeks. We're going to a "Sort Of" primitive camp area (No cell service... grrrrrr) called Smokemont.
Facility Details - Recreation.gov, Smokemont Campground (NC) - Recreation.gov

Smokemont Campground - Great Smoky Mountains National Park

If you're into some really COOL local attractions you can check out

Blue Ridge Parkway

Biltmore House & Gardens

Grandfather Mountain

Lake Junaluska

Linville Caverns

Charlseton SC is a great place to visit. I loved going there a couple years ago.

We went to the Outer Banks (Kill Devil Hills, NC) a couple years ago and had a BLAST! One of our best vacations ever because it was so "laid back" and relaxing. For once we came home from a vacation actually rested and rejuvenated.

I LOVE the Ocean and the Beach! We just got back from Hilton Head SC and it was nothing short of awesome. If you ever get a chance to get back down that way (Just south of Charleston SC) you should check it out. Everything in HH is so different that everyone should experience it for themselves.

Anytime you wanna come this way let me know and I'll help you get all the information you could ever want/need.

you had to sneak the dishwasher in there to make sure I was paying attention didn't you :lol:

YES :LOL: Just in case the wifey is reading this (and it doesn't leave STREAKS either LOL)

have you considered building the tank using plywood ? you could go a lot bigger with less money and while you're building the house,the contractor could do most of the construction for you as far as structural support

Yes I have thought and studied this concept. To be honest I'm not 100% sold on it just yet. I can understand it's benefits in many ways but at the same time my "Business" is wood and long-term I'm not sure how it will hold up with Saltwater exposure over the years. I'm researching a LOT!!