My next controller . . .

Martian

Just to open the horizon, I got round door/stair issues with a big open steel frame mahogany tread spiral stair. Looks great, does the job and incredibly easy to carry unbelievably big stuff up too.
Good luck. Great posts and projects :)

BigJay

:

Once you get your ProfiLux up and running you'll throw rocks are your AC Jr

)

you know its hard not to still recomend the AC jr. For the price it just can't be beat. Arbitrary number I'm throwing out here but I'd bet for 98% of people it has pretty much everything they need.
But back to the topic I thought you wanted the Apex? What made you change your mind? (ie what did you need the profilux to do?)

Willie McDaries

Al,thanks for all the camping info,if we ever get out that way I'll give you a shout....

Yes I have thought and studied this concept. To be honest I'm not 100% sold on it just yet. I can understand it's benefits in many ways but at the same time my "Business" is wood and long-term I'm not sure how it will hold up with Saltwater exposure over the years. I'm researching a LOT!!

I had the same concerns with using wood myself but it's basically just there to hold the fiberglass and epoxy,it's much like building a wooden boat but instead of keeping water out,we're keeping it in :D as long as the epoxy remains intact,water will never touch the wood,and I have to say,the epoxy is some tough stuff

I will say though,if you can afford to use glass or acrylic,it will be easier to see every area of the tank,it's really hard to see through plywood,I've tried :lol:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
you know its hard not to still recomend the AC jr. For the price it just can't be beat. Arbitrary number I'm throwing out here but I'd bet for 98% of people it has pretty much everything they need.
But back to the topic I thought you wanted the Apex? What made you change your mind? (ie what did you need the profilux to do?)

Oh you're right about all of the above. If you're only wanting to control the basics and want it to be easy/simple then you'd be hard pressed to be an AC Jr. I'm not knocking it in the least.

Yes I was seriously looking into an APEX unit. I was reading reviews, adding up what extras I needed to buy and then found myself "wishing" I had the ProfiLux. In all honesty since I first heard of the ProfiLux I've wanted to try one just because of everything it CAN do. The whole "Lightning" thing was a big selling point for me to say the least. If that was the ONLY thing that the unit did better than the Apex or AC Jr I'd still be happy that I went that route. There's nothing quite like sitting in front of the tank late at night and watching my own "Thunder Storm" advance in, build in intensity, and then slowly retreat again. That ROCKS!!

What do/did I "need" it to do? Nothing right now really. Other than the expandability of it and the cool "Extra" it does there's really nothing I needed it for. It's just one of those things I've wanted to have and always said, "If I ever get to build THE system I want to use the ProfiLux as the icing on the cake". Well here we are :)

Al,thanks for all the camping info,if we ever get out that way I'll give you a shout....

I had the same concerns with using wood myself but it's basically just there to hold the fiberglass and epoxy,it's much like building a wooden boat but instead of keeping water out,we're keeping it in :D as long as the epoxy remains intact,water will never touch the wood,and I have to say,the epoxy is some tough stuff

I will say though,if you can afford to use glass or acrylic,it will be easier to see every area of the tank,it's really hard to see through plywood,I've tried :lol:

Willie my pleasure. I like to LINK (as if yall don't already know that). I'm thrilled to live where I do and think it's an awesome place to live and a MUST SEE place to visit. Big Jay was up here a few months ago to "enjoy" the cold and snow. Hopefully he and the family will come back during some warmer weather (Fall here in the Blue Ridge Mountains is AMAZING).

I'm more worried about the water from outside the tank (spilled water etc). I guess I could completely encapsulate the wood on all sides and such but that just seems like chancing too many things. I'll research more but really like the idea of a big glass tank. Acrylic scratches too easy and this tank will hopefully be around a long time.

Willie McDaries

I'm more worried about the water from outside the tank (spilled water etc). I guess I could completely encapsulate the wood on all sides and such but that just seems like chancing too many things. I'll research more but really like the idea of a big glass tank. Acrylic scratches too easy and this tank will hopefully be around a long time.

yea,it needs to be waterproofed inside and out,I did mine like that.....but I understand the wanting all glass too,it's very difficult to aquascape a wooden tank 'cause you can't see what you're doing from the rear of the tank,but a tank that big,you about have to get in it to do the 'scape anyway :D

plywood is really easy to drill for bulkheads,but every hole creates a potential place for water exposure to the wood if not properly sealed with epoxy....it does have it's disadvantages if not done correctly and there are more chances of failure than with glass,it is less expensive to build but there's a lot of work that goes into 'em too....

I say,if you can afford glass,than by all means,use it and go with low iron glass in the viewing panes...for anybody on a really tight budget,try plywood as an option,it really can be built to last forever,and it can be done a little at a time,as money permits,with buying the materials and such.....custom designs are easier accomplished with wood than with glass....wood will bend a little,glass will not :D

either way you go,it's gonna be a sweet tank,and I'm confident you'll do it right no matter what you use,and I can't wait to see it in progress as I'm sure you are too....if you decide on plywood,check out the guys on fingerlakesreef.com • View forum - The Plywood Section...... they've been doing plywood tank since the '70s and there's some really cool tanks over there.....

Al,if you want,I can post some really cool wooden tank threads for you to check out....you'd be amazed at the skilz some of these builders have :D

I just realized,I've gotten this thread off track a little....I have a habit of doing that :lol:

to get back on track....for basic control of the tank,such as,lights,water movement and temp. control,you'd be hard pressed to find a controller better than the AC Jr.,it does all that flawlessly.....if you want more gadgets like Al and some of us other techno geeks :D the high end controllers are for you,and from what I've been reading,the Profilux is on top of its game....

with the design of the Profilux,upgrading it is kinda like adding stuff to a computer,which is what it is,it's all plug and play...you can start out basic and work your way up,as needed,without having to buy another head unit...also,the head unit itself can be upgraded to the newest model by sending it back to the company for the upgrade cheaper than buying the new unit...very nice idea there :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well put Willie.

Yes link me on the Plywood builds. I'm very interested in seeing more. I'm a Wood guy (I'm in the residential building industry . . ) and think a Wood Tank would be a GREAT conversation piece.

I never "needed" my AC Jr. to do anything that it couldn't do. I always "wanted" it to have remote access without having to "tether" it to my laptop and then log into the laptop remotely. Ironically that's EXACTLY how I monitor & manage my ProfiLux LOL! I need to upgrade to the PIIIex so that I have all the Wireless and other goodies on-board.

One other thing you hit the nail on the head with was the "Techno Geek" aspect of it. This thing is just fun to TINKER with and see what more you can do with it. Not only is is built to be a standard On/Off controller but you can combine pre-existing functions using Programmable Logic and get really crazy. Honestly if you can get it to connect to the Profilux in some way you can probably control it. They are able to DIM the AI led lights, able to control Vortec and TUNZE powerheads and a whole host of other "Cool" gadgets. If you like to tinker and get really creative then the ProfiLux is a good fit it just doesn't fit your wallet very well LOL!

Willie McDaries

well,with the wallet thing,it's the initial controller cost,after that,the upgrades aren't as out of reach and can be done like I said with the plywood tank,a little at a time :D

here's some cool large wooden tank threads....the first 2 are still in progress...the DIY rockwork is amazing in the first thread :D

Jr. 600 gal. plywood tank build

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...-gallon-display-plywood-fiberglass-build.html

you've probably seen the second 1000g from MattShack,and of coarse vargas 300g build here that convinced me to take the plunge :D

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/31112-vargas-300-gallon-wall-build.html

this is from the plywood guru at fingerlakesreef: 3 sides viewable 1000g peninsula style.....

fingerlakesreef.com • View topic - Kent's 1k gallon reef project

this is only 220g but what some DIY skilz and an incredible beautiful tank

fingerlakesreef.com • View topic - 220gal Plywood/steel hybrid 32x27x72

these are a few that I've followed,but there's a lot more out there

BigJay

well Al my daughter has been asking since we got home when it's going to snow again. She absolutely loved the NC winter. Maybe this year we can go again and see what that unit does.
I like that whole thunderstorm idea, even though I can't see why it would benefit the tank, but it would be fun to watch! Yeah I'm a geek too.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hey buddy! Julie and I both hope yall can come back up here. Next time maybe we'll get to go out to eat or something more. The visit was nice but next time we'll allocate more time.

Yeah thunderstorms ROCK the tank but honestly I don't think they do ANYTHING for the tank. The TS is all for me Me ME!!