My 85 gallon DT- A work in progress!!!

leslie

Thank you so much!!!!! I appricieate that! Its going to be looking even better within the next few months! We have lots of plans for it! Just have to take it slow. Dont want to move too fast!:whstlr:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
not all clownfish bite... my clownfish are 100% peaceful always, I can put my hand in the tank, even right next to their eggs & never a nip, not even once :dance:

on the sandbed depth... (ssb or dsb) here a couple reads seem deep sand beds were more in vogue in the past... some still like them... see what others think, if you do go with a dsb, I would go 5" or more...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/new-frontiers/482-put-gloves-lets-talk-dsb.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/polls/38956-dsb-good-bacteria-sand-sifters.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/new-frontiers/851-dsb-lets-discuss.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...3582-topic-week-august-28-deep-sand-beds.html

leslie

Dont think we will be going with a dsb. Prob just 2-3" if we even do sand. Not sure how easy it is to even clean. May just stick with our crushed coral.

leslie

Can you guys give me any ideas of corals to put in this tank to make it just look awesome!? I am not really sure what corals I can put in this tank with the fish I have.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Xenia or gsp.Then wait a year with out pruning.:LOL:

He's being silly because both GSP and Xenia can take off like wild in a tank that they are happy in. I've grown both and if you control their spread they can add a lot of texture and movement to a tank. Many people neglect this fact and when left un managed will run a tank over very much like Kudzoo does here in the south.

I would suggest getting away from Crushed Coral if you're planning to go REEF tank. It has a high probability to cause water parameter issues in the future.

Also a side note/warning about Sand Beds. Shallow is 2" or less and Deep is 4" plus. The area in between is routinely considered a No-No area. Of course you may have areas in a 4" sandbed that are less but you want the majority to be over 4". The reason being (and this is speaking in VERY general terms) is that 2" allows for Aerobic bacteria pretty much through and through and is easy enough to keep the whole sand bed turned over preventing deep pocket areas of decay. 4"+ is deep enough to allow for Anaerobic bacteria and allows for pockets of decay that go undisturbed. Between 2" and 4" you have areas of deep pockets of decay that could get disturbed (not good for the tank) but the sand isn't deep enough to allow for Anaerobic bacteria. If you can't get over 4" then it's not worth the risk of having decay pockets that can get disturbed. That's just my 2 cents on sandbeds.

leslie

So I need it at least 5"???? And we are still working on getting the crushed coral out, we are doing it slowly because it has alrady raised our phosphates and nitrates pretty high. We have been doing lots of water changes and it does not seem to help. Our plans are getting all the crushed coral out and then taking all of our rock out and kind of clean it, shake it around in some saltwater. Will this help? Or is this just a crazy idea??

leslie

I guess we have just disturbed a lot when we started taking the crushed coral out and moving some rocks around. And I already have some GSP in this tank and I can keep it under control.

leslie

UPDATE: We have changed about 75% of our crushed coral and put sand in its place, rinsed the rock off and rearranged the rock! It looks so good with a sand bed. We are still having a prob with nitrates. They are still at .75ppm. We are going to suck out the sump tonight and suck the detritus out of it, at least I think thats what is in the bottom of it. We just cant seem to the nitrates down. We have did water changes and water changes. Hopefully the water change will help tonight. I will post pics when we get all of the sand bed in. I cant wait!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
We have changed about 75% of our crushed coral and put sand in its place

Changing out the crushed coral, should really help
1085.gif

lbiminiblue

He's being silly because both GSP and Xenia can take off like wild in a tank that they are happy in. I've grown both and if you control their spread they can add a lot of texture and movement to a tank. Many people neglect this fact and when left un managed will run a tank over very much like Kudzoo does here in the south.

I would suggest getting away from Crushed Coral if you're planning to go REEF tank. It has a high probability to cause water parameter issues in the future.

Also a side note/warning about Sand Beds. Shallow is 2" or less and Deep is 4" plus. The area in between is routinely considered a No-No area. Of course you may have areas in a 4" sandbed that are less but you want the majority to be over 4". The reason being (and this is speaking in VERY general terms) is that 2" allows for Aerobic bacteria pretty much through and through and is easy enough to keep the whole sand bed turned over preventing deep pocket areas of decay. 4"+ is deep enough to allow for Anaerobic bacteria and allows for pockets of decay that go undisturbed. Between 2" and 4" you have areas of deep pockets of decay that could get disturbed (not good for the tank) but the sand isn't deep enough to allow for Anaerobic bacteria. If you can't get over 4" then it's not worth the risk of having decay pockets that can get disturbed. That's just my 2 cents on sandbeds.

I've always wondered about the pockets of hydrogen sulfide...The bubbles from underground, and when they're disturbed, they can shoot through the sand bed and into the air, what's bad about them??

leslie

Our sand bed is not going to be deep enough for these pockets. The deepest we are going to go is 2 in at the max so we wont have that problem. We have 3 nassurius snails and a fighting ckonk snail in the sand bed, so hopefully that will keep it stired up until we get more and complete our sand bed.

leslie

My d@mn female cinnamon clownfish keeps fanning the sand with her tail! It shows the bottom of the tank, I guess this is ok? We just push the sand back into place. Is this a common thing for big female cinnamons to do and what does it mean? We call her B*TCH because she thinks she is queen of the tank. Well actually she is queen of the tank, the other fish get out of her way. I am just curious about the fanning of the sand. She did this with the crushed coral also. Also if we move the pot a certin way, she will push and push till she gets the pot in the position that she wants it. She is soooooo d@mn funny. Does anyone elses cinnamons show this behavior???