arcanjo

Hi,

A little description of my six months aquarium and equipment:
- Aquarium: 24''*14''*14'' plus 5'' for the sump, at back;
- Light: 4x24w T5;
- Circulation: 2 nano tunze;
- Tunze Doc skimmer 9002 (at back, in sump);
- Dsb 5'' (partial hide )

The sump also have a deposit for water reposition.

I am using the bailing light method, sort of...because i'm not adding trace elements, only cacl, mgcl e NaHCO3, maybe that's why sps colour fade away. My recent approach to this issue was a home made sps food (shrimp and cyclops eggs), i'll be waiting for results, if you have any suggestion about it, let me know.

Now the pictures:
43.JPG

53.JPG

35.JPG

29.JPG

110.JPG

7.JPG

6.JPG

That's all for now...

Last edited:

redsea reefer

IMO - The reason why your SPS colors are fading away is because lack of lighting. Either you need to move them up higher, lower the fixture and get higher PAR bulbs or get a 6 bulb fixture. Your lighting does not look bright enough...

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
What type of T5's do you have - the tank looks very blue. Do you have any full spectrum bulbs, or just blue and/or actinic? One or more full spectrum bulbs might help with the SPS color and growth. As redsea reefer said, dropping the hood lower may also help,.

arcanjo

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

The truth is i'm not a good photographer if i didn't increase the speed of camera the sand would look too bright, i need more practice, i guess.

My Lights are: 2 Lamps T5 ATI Aquablue Spezial 24w (on the sides) and 2 LampsT5 ATI Blue Plus 24w (in the middle)

The distance from the sand until the top of glass are: 15'' (38cm), recently i move up the corals and get the light closer, it's 4'' from water.

I have a shrimp and a Humbug Damselfish (at back because it was destroying my dsb with huge holes on the sand) and i feed them twice a week, very little food.

The lights have about 7 months.

Regards,
Miguel

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks for the information Miguel. The light combination appears to be OK - the Aquablue Special is recommended for use with the Blue Plus. I guess it was the camera speed adjustment that was misleading. I'd never heard of the Humbug damsel - I searched & found that it's another name for the Three Striped Damsel. I have a Fiji Blue Devil Damsel as the only fish in my smaller 6 gallon tank, and he is constantly rearranging my sand into piles and empty spots.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome to RS!

I'm far from an expert on "Bailing" but I'm confident that it's an advanced method and "Tweaking" it requires a deep understanding of the tank, elements and processes within the coral. I'd suggest you're either ALL or nothing with Bailing method unless you know more about what's going on.

arcanjo

Terry, if i knew that behaviour of Damsel i wouldn't put in, but i missed that part.

Hello :wave: and welcome to RS!

I'm far from an expert on "Bailing" but I'm confident that it's an advanced method and "Tweaking" it requires a deep understanding of the tank, elements and processes within the coral. I'd suggest you're either ALL or nothing with Bailing method unless you know more about what's going on.

Hi Allen, thanks for your comment.

About the balling issue, i am not a expert too, but i know that with or without the method, i need to supply Mg, Ca and keep the kh for sps consume, the rest (trace elements and others) i believe i can get from "natural" ways, from water changes and different types of food (mix). I am willing to try that and i don't think it will be bad for the corals.

arcanjo

Nice layout! I like the open spaces :thumbup:

Thanks Frankie.
New photos after some changes and a new entry.

The percula after 5 days in aquarium, i think he found a new home (i hope).
210.JPG

111.JPG

I moved the rocks up a little.
Layout.JPG

Regards,
Miguel

arcanjo

Good on moving the rocks up a little higher, that should help the SPS. Looks good...

Great pics!

How's the coloration coming along?
What salt mix are you using?

Thanks, i think it helped sps too, i've notice a little purple on two branches of acropora valida.
Hystrix are still brown (but much light colour), but i'll be looking for the pink colour. Maybe after replacing the lights it might help.

About the salt: I use natural water, i live in a island (Madeira, from Portugal).