Mistakes You've Made

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Allowing my Chemi-Pure Elite bag block the return pipe on my original external skimmer and flooded the floor with 20 gallons of sump water overnight.

sirrealism

Great thread to bring back to life. Where to start HMMMM My first wife!!! Oh wait this is just mistakes in the hobby Duhhhhh. Ok How about when I moved and all I had was a 29 bio cube. I was buying water from a LFS. I had a bad outbreak of cyno so I do more and more water changes. Weeks and weeks of changing 5 g a day and my cyno was getting worse. I took my TDS meter to the store and asked for a little bit of RODI water TDS was 210. I dont go to that LFS anymore. So I started buying water at one of these water machines "This one is called the Windmill" The sign said it was filtered 9 stages and serviced every other day and that it was 0TDS so I started doing water changes with this water and my cyno was still getting worse. Checked it with my TDS meter and it was 158. My home water is only 123. I bought a RODI system and with in 2 weeks no cyno. If you buy water buy a hand held TDS meter. Never trust any LFS or machine.
No QT I lost $1k worth of fish to not QT a new fish
The house I was renting had to be tented. I moved my 55g reef outside in the summer in FL. I put it in the shade but the tank got to hot and I lost everything.

dgilbert2

Fitted an external skimmer to a reef tank many years ago. The cup overflowed, uncontrolled overnight, water level dropped about 2inches in the tank (about 10 gallons) all over the lounge and carpet. Major damage to the room, cabinet & furniture. I was in major trouble! Lowest ever point! :surrender:

Oxylebius

A couple of decades ago with my first salt tank I caused water damage issues. I had set up a sump that didn't allow for extra water to flow into it when the power cut out. The DT drained into the sump and overflowed and damaged the hardwood floors. The second overflow happened when we had a good sized earthquake and standing waves occurred in the tank which slopped water all over the place. Urgh, again water damage to the hardwood floors.

lbiminiblue

About 4-5 years ago me and my brothers tried to set up a saltwater tank.

After a diving trip and catching some reef fish like tangs and puffers, we threw them into a 55 gallon. The salt levels were out of whack, and the tank had been set up not an hour ago.

With the fish in the tank, we kept adding salt until it reached 1.025. Some days later, I bought and added a mandarin dragonet

Needless to say all inhabitants died shortly after.

Stacef

Keep the mistakes coming! This thread gives newbies some good reads and reminders of what not to do. :fingerscrossed:

I admit, I just read through a majority of this thread and it included several reminders.