Mistakes You've Made

f22

I usually mix up different types of salt and other chemicals for my different tanks, (I have a few cichlid tanks, a rainbow fish, a fish only marine tank, and a nano reef) I came home from the tavern one night and I wanted to do a water change on my nano, so i mixed up some water, siphoned the sand bed, replaced the water and went to bed... I woke the next morning to see everything in the tank was dead... I used the cichlid mix salt that is marine salt and baking soda :(

Jackalope

oh i just Have to post this on this subject lol....
--1: after putting in a fairly spendy Pergo wood laminate floor, i installed my wife's 40 gallon corner tank. all was well untill the Anemone she HAD to have for her picassos decided to park up on the return. i honestly put it all in from the other tank, went to my mother's to help her, and in 4 hours i flooded my floor. now it just wasnt the 30-ought gallons from the sump, BUT all the water level from my 180 that back-drained as well. guessing about 50-55 gallons lol. New, New floor and never EVER getting another nem.!
--2: i, instead of spending the money for a larger mag drive/return pump, decided to couple my mag9.5 And mag7 together. well it worked fine until the shaft sheared on the 9.5 (from running backwards uknowingly) after a week of not really thinking about why things just Sounded louder, i got shocked petty bad because the magnet had bored a hole in the housing exposing the coil fed by 120volts! lol

AJK

Not my first mistake, but never forget ro/di is making water, I filled a 1 gal container with ro water for drinking, forgot about it, had water all over the counter and floor *sigh* Now, I check every 10 minutes.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Oh man if we're talking about my mistakes this is gunna b a long thread! Haha

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

dmatt88

Ill start with my first 55 tank. Emptied all the sand n rock into the 125 n thought wtf are these cool fuzzy worms. Being a man I picked em up n looked at em. Bad call.
How bout doin a major water change on the 220 n filling up a 50 gal trash can in the kitchen getting a phone call n forgetting waters running.
How bout not securing the electrical box by the sump n splashing water on it while cleaning then grabbing it. Quite a shocking moment.
N cheers to the person who said "trusting ur lfs"
Or buying loose mushrooms n thinking hell ill just drop them in. Well trigger n eel thought it was dinner.
Oh my the list is long.
Ps. Never attempt to set a beer on top of the tank u may find that the lids r off. That's when I built the canopy.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

catran

Not my first mistake, but never forget ro/di is making water, I filled a 1 gal container with ro water for drinking, forgot about it, had water all over the counter and floor *sigh* Now, I check every 10 minutes.

AJK, why do you think I bought a wet vac? I do w/c's every week and my 15g container overflows about every other time, lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robzilla

+1 I have a million and one things going on in my life every day and cleaning rodi off the floor is a regular event for me.

1. Spending way more than needed to set up my tank and later having to replace all my junk equipment.
2. Rushing livestock additions
3. Not doing research on livestock
4. Wet hands while handling electric equipment
5. Wet hands while handling a glass top
6. Buying Damsels
7. Buying Crabs
8. Not light acclimating my first few corals

List goes on and on and on and on and on and on.........

jpsika08

Pictures speak more than word...

2011-07-16143648.jpg

AJK

AJK, why do you think I bought a wet vac? I do w/c's every week and my 15g container overflows about every other time, lol!

Goodness, sorry to read that cat. That's alot of water, yikes !!! Good idea on the wet vac :) hmm, think I'll invest in one.

catran

I think I'll invest in Anselth's Leapfrog. They look pretty cool. Still, I flooded my bathroom twice in a week and I wouldn't trade my little Armor All wet vac for anything!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BLADEYAMAHA

I really don't want to talk about the gravely mistakes I've made in the hobby, I just want to learn and move on, but I should think more about my mistakes and maybe let others know so possibly they won't make the same ones.

BLAKEJOHN

Doing a bucket.style.wc and the hose fell out of the bucket.and I didn't realize it. Water on the floor.

Transfering fw to the sw mixing station and wife interupted me. With a 1900 gph pump it didnt tank long to put 30 gls on the floor.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

dmatt88

Some inspiring author should turn this into a book.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk