Mischko's 130D Reef Tank

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sorry about the heat wave. Do you have air conditioning in the home? I've always heard it's rare in Europe.

Mischko

Pretty rare here to have AC, Terry. Usually our heat waves last 1 or 2 weeks. May until end of July was rain rain and again rain. Very low temps for summer time. Weather here changed alot over the last 2 decades. We have no real summer anymore like I know it when I was a kid. Slow raise of temps from May/June on until end of August. Instead lots of rain, then suddenly a heat wave. Our summer here in my area was really lots of rain and ****ty weather until this week.
And then the winters. Lots of snow and for a long period of time, about 3 months for sure now.

Fan works, cools down, but of course evaporation is beyond anything LOL

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Wish we had short heat waves here, although it has cooled down a bit, to daily highs about 90 (32 C) - better than the weeks close to 100 (38 C).

jpsika08

Good luck with the heat wave Mischko, here it has been raining a lot but it's because of the tropical storms around.

Mischko

No worries, Juan, it's gone now. Imagine, Friday we had up to 36 in Germany and Saturday me girl and me went shopping having 17 then! This night and next is supossed to be 8!

Well, was watching my Valenciennea puellaris here. I bought them to dig the gravel and made sure I get 2 in different size. The smaller one is one third smaller than the bigger one. I am pretty sure it is a female judging how it nags the bigger one not daring to fight back. 'He' gets bitten all over, no injuries though, but stays at 'her' side. All 'she' does is bi****ing at him!
Now doesn't that sound familiar to you guys?!?!

P.S. And that is really funny, 'he' keeps the cave clean and 'she' doesn't stop keeping re-arraging rocks around the cave and its entrances. Again, doesn't that sound sort of familiar?

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Not to offend all of our female members, but I know where ya comin from Mischko, i've had 21 years of it jk/haha.

Mischko

You had to make me look up Valenciennea puellaris.
Awwww, your poor sod LOL
Like I can ever remember those damned Latin names. Name me something like a coral, fish or shrimp, I wouldn't know what you are talking about at all then! Shame one me, I had Latin at school for 7 years, doh! Shame on me, I passed all French examans at Uni and also old-slavic/old-russian. Can't talk a word french now at all.

But bothered here today since I noticed 2 spots of feeble attempts of hair algae growing in my tank. Bothers me abit since I have 0 Nitrite, 1 Nitrate, 0,01 Phosphate. Hmmmm, might raise abit Ca and Mg here now. Ca is 414 and Mg is 1240. Noticed with slightly higher Ca and Mg levels there is no algae at all. And I have to get another turbo snail, one died *sob*. I noticed that one not moving anymore one day and the next morning the shell was completly empty. I blame my 2 Babylonias on it. Since I have the Mitra Mitra in the tank I rarely see any bristle worms anymore while feeding.
Scary, I sound like David now! LOL just joking, mate!

Mischko

No comment needed, I guess ;-)

cherry_knocker.jpg

Good news, you can get such stuff in the US here. I am jealous! Serious!

P.S. Not advertising, but for you guys in the US they have the Fauna Marin stuff, too!

Mischko

I found a funny video, well, funny in my eyes when I think how I have to glue frags and corals in my tank. First the video:
[video=youtube;DAVkO1scsyk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAVkO1scsyk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Looks so easy, doesn't it?! I wonder how they would have glued the frags having my demented evil Blenny in their demo tank biting them non-stop!

Mischko

LOL David!
Made a big mistake today while picking up 2 more Min Max anemones. Took my girl with me to show her the 5 metres display tank and I also showed her those buggers:
landeinsiedler_400.jpg

Now guess what I have to do here?
Once the tank/vivarium is setup we have 3 of them in the house. The LFS is keeping them for us until then.
Oh and another thing, my girl and I agreed I can have a second tank. Since I started I always wanted a tank with just one species, well, some corals, too. But something weird and she likes those:
stock-photo-striated-frogfish-antennarius-striatus-30633760.jpg

Antennarius, there are several species of them, but man, they are so ugly they are cute again, specially when walking on their 'legs'. She likes them so around end of the year I will see to setup a tank if time allows it.
I think that video alone justifies it to get one or two. I find those fish abs. amazing, obscure, ugly and yet fascinating and funny.
[video=youtube;AcN4nfcletU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcN4nfcletU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Last edited:

Mischko

OK then, got the 3 land hermit crabs for my girl today. Clumsy things they are with their big eyes. Tank is pretty simple to setup for them. Half fine sand, half pine bark shred, salt- and fresh water bowls and some roots for them to climb on.
Not a big deal, but they are funny to watch crawling, being clumsy, goofy eyes. Pretty big though, I say with shell and all, bit less than a tennis ball. They feed on almost anything, fruits, veggies, fish pellets, shrimp. Just make sure the substrate is high enough because they dig in to molt and after having a walk-through in their new home, 2 started digging in. I assume they are about to molt. As for 'normal' tank hermits, make sure you have extra shells available for them. Pretty easy to keep, but funny to watch.
Buuuuut, you remember the video of the frog fishies I posted?
I am all games and already gathering info. Instead of a cube tank for them, have a look here!. I am sure you guess what I am on about!