Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

drbark

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

Thank you Santa Monica for the reply and info. I am by no means a expert on reef aquariums but guys remember this is just a forum and lets be friends. All of you have good info that can help us beginners.

Santa Monica, the original turf stuff came from Inland Aquatics as a starter turf as you recommended. Just FYI. The stronger lights actually helped. I am running equivalent to two 150 W bulbs on a 1ft x 3 ft screen (one sided).

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

I know I said I wont comment, but Im just a human :p haha

drbark, the original ATS had what I said in mind and commented on it and they even said a skimer is needed and will pull out more skimmate.

santa just trew out all the science and work behind it and made something up ! and of course many would like its lies :)
like many 'OLDER' reef foods that had a label on them saying "this will not degrade your water even if overdosed' !! ppl liked them at first cause of the lies, and stopped using it once they found their water parameters going off :)
now you do not see that label anymore :) all food supliers now warn about over feeding.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM

Let's Keep it polite, I know this is a touchy subject that frustrates a lot of our members the way it is presented but there is no need to resort to name calling or rudeness.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM

5. ATS works, but not as described here.

I do agree with the above statement.

This has all been done before so my advice is to any one considering this system is to research all claims throughly before accepting them as fact also consider all the builds in this thread and how few people are still using it, a lot of them were unsuccessfully when it came to trying to maintain a tank solely on this system very few were a success in comparison and you can see that in this thread.

I think the debate is healthy for this topic but keep it polite and post those facts.

Frankie

RS STAFF

What the... Big Ray, I expect better from you. You also Santa monica. No name calling please.
Whether or not we support this method please have some respect for the OP (Santa monica) and his efforts to provide help to those that need it. I have a huge respect for his efforts and were all very fortunate to have someone like him trying to think outside the box a bit and share his findings.
I will not tolerate people haggling a member in there own thread. Take it to your own thread.
I will be monitoring this thread from now on.
Frank

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Is there any way of dressing the bucket up?

Just get a cheap plastic or acrylic black box. A few bucks at walmart or home depot.

drbark

Big Ray, I am still running my Protein Skimmer 24/7. Too chicken to stop that one. But in the last week, when am running the ATS properly, have noticed a slight decrease in phosphate. Still using a refugium as it already was there in the system. I agree with the subject of the will fix all your problems perspective, but Santa Monica has a lot of good input and I thank all of you
for your advice.

All I want to say,

Alex

Big Ray

What the... Big Ray, I expect better from you. You also Santa monica. No name calling please.
Whether or not we support this method please have some respect for the OP (Santa monica) and his efforts to provide help to those that need it. I have a huge respect for his efforts and were all very fortunate to have someone like him trying to think outside the box a bit and share his findings.
I will not tolerate people haggling a member in there own thread. Take it to your own thread.
I will be monitoring this thread from now on.
Frank

Frank, first I agree 100% name calling is not cool, and apologize for my post, although he called me an Idiot first. but who cares ... (it just made me want to call him out more :D )

you can have all the respect you like for Santa monica (I am sure he is a great person, and this is nothing personal, of course :) ) , but I dont, and I think you are wrong on that as well, just click on any of the links I have posted to see ! I know as a fact that you know Murray and Gary right ? (Murray camp) please do go through the Zeovit thread I posted and let me know what you think :)

MAKING NEW COMERS BELIEVE IN SOMETHING WRONG IS NOT OKAY !!!

in every post of Santa monica, he tries to BEND the science and change the subject so it supports his ******* . that is just wrong !!!

I am certain Santa monica does not understand any of the info presented. that is a fact to me, look at his posts ! he thinks bacteria is dosed in probiotic systems as coral food ! and ALOT MORE stuff he has claimed lol, look around the net, he used to say oceans and beaches and .. dont work like a huge skimmer, then he learned better, he used to say oceans nutrition export is via macroalgae alone, lol, then he was proven wrong again that its the biomass of bacteria, and algae is just fuelling those. (good learning process ! but can a person who doesnt know these comment on them before learning ? keep in mind that this method is BASED ON SANTA MONICA's WRONG KNOWLEDGE, which he later on learned, but never went back to correct :) )

he has been banned from Zeovit, RC, AP and many many other reefing sites that I know of, due to this !!! he tries to bend the science he does not get !!!

now its kind of stupid of me to waste my time doing this, but this is very wrong and how this forums are supporting him even more wrong !!

"someone like him trying to think outside the box a bit and share his findings. "

OUT SIDE OF THE BOX ??!!! haha come on man !!!!! you know better.
calling science WRONG is not thinking outside the box !!! NOT CARING FOR consequences IS NOT THINKING outside the box !!! its like smoking and cancer ! all documents support that smoking increases ure chance of cancer, Santa monica is like cig company telling kids cancer aint that bad for u :) or saying cancer can be used as food !!! of course some kids wqill believe him. smoking is cool, fun and now no downsides !! the media that lets that msg go around is as wrong though :) (PS. I smoke, so nothing against smokers :) )

anyhow, as I said before, ATS does work, and it works well, as first described, SANTA MONICA STOLE THE DESIGN, REMOVED THE SCIENCE BEHIND IT AND CALLED THE SCIENCE INCORRECT, AND NOW ACCORDING TO SOME HE IS THINKING "OUTSIDE OF THE BOX" !!! haha
OF course new comers would love to hear that you dont need to spend money on any equipments, but that is just wrong !!.

to conclude my post, Id like to point out the nicest looking SPS colony using this method.
http://www.radio-media.com/fish/Tank.htm

once again, ATS as first proposed works WELL. algae growth consumes the N and P, algae releases amino acids, as well as many forms of organic carbon (long chained and short chained) which are consumed by bacteria, Sponges, and corals. the excess of bacteria, which can kill corals and deplete O2, are removed via skimmer. there is still a risk in this, and that is the longer chainced carbons which will NOT break down that fast in SW, which may cause Issues, hence why Zeovit, VSV, ... dose short chained organic carbons like ethanol or GAA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frankie

RS STAFF

I don't give a crap what you think of his methods really Big Ray. I asked you to stop haggling him in his thread and you continue to do so. Also now you are making false accusations about him. He is not banned from zeovit.com. Get your story correct.
One more out burst will end YOUR status here on RS.
Your post has been removed.

Big Ray

I don't give a crap what you think of his methods really Big Ray. I asked you to stop haggling him in his thread and you continue to do so. Also now you are making false accusations about him. He is not banned from zeovit.com. Get your story correct.
One more out burst will end YOUR status here on RS.
Your post has been removed.

"One more out burst will end YOUR status here on RS."

lets do it :)

what do I have to say ?

DELETE ME ASAP, and every post I have made here.

1 post left here, and I will take it up higher :)

you are welcome to support ppl tanks being crashed :)

Frankie

RS STAFF

Man, this thread is getting a lot of hits today!

Santamonica, if you would be so kind, there have been a few changes in your method since you started this thread. Being it is so long would you please edit and update the first page?
Thanks, Frank

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

He asked for it - he got it! We really don't need flaming attitudes like Big Rays' on Reef Sanctuary. It only takes one to disrupt everything. He would have been banned a lot sooner on other forums, but Frankie gave him more chances than he would have gotten many other places.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Didn't know I could edit old posts. I went to page 1 and did not see an edit option.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

you can edit them for a small window of time... not exactly sure what that is...

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM

If you write up what you would like the first post to say, myself or one of the other mods would be more than happy to edit it with the latest info.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Ok will try to work on that soon.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Cleaning Guidelines:

Black/oily growth, but no green: Clean every last bit of it off every three days.

Dark brown growth, but no green: Clean all of it off every 4 days.

Light brown growth, but no green: Clean most of if off every 5 days.

Mostly brown growth, but some green: Clean all of the brown off every 6 days, but leave some of the green.

Half brown and half green growth: Clean most of it off every 7 days.

Mostly green growth: clean most of it off every 10 days.

In all cases, stronger lighting will help you get to green faster, even if the extra lighting is only temporary.

Also, when there is lots of green, you are getting the most filtering. So to minimize nutrient spikes which might occur after cleaning the green off, consider cutting the screen vertically into two halves, and cleaning only one of the halves every 5 days. This give 10 days of growth for each half (about the max you can go), but always leaves the other half to do the filtering.

After several months, you may start getting some thick brown algae that feels like fuzz, and it won't come off. That's turf algae. You don't want turf because it's thick and dark, and it blocks light from reaching the screen (also, because turf does not grow fast enough to be a good filter.) Scrape the turf off with a hack saw blade. Matter of fact, if you start getting turf, you can just start doing all your weekly cleaning with a hack saw blade.