Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

It's the sand bed that did it.

Don't run scrubber lights 24 hours. Run them 18 hours. Cut feeding in half, and things should be back to normal in a few weeks.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

Success updates...

Trichome on the CR site: "I took my skimmer out of my 29g sump about 2 months ago. Since then i have not done a water change...I know i should but i am bad about that. I NEVER have to clean my glass in my DT. I don't take water parameters so i can't tell you what mine are, but i do know i don't get any algae in my tank other than bubble algae. I harvest one side of my scrubber about every 2 weeks [needs to be more often]. The water must be pretty clean because my 2 golden striped maroon clowns have spawned, for their first time, about 1 month after i took my skimmer out. Not only are there several people in Cincinnati trying algae scrubbers with great success there is a 50 page thread of people with great success too. 6 month update: I have had my turf scrubber going on my 29g tank for 6 months now without a skimmer. Currently i have 2 Gold Stripped Maroon clownfish, a Yasha gobie, a sixline wrasse, 2 cleaner shrimp, and a candy cane pistol shrimp in the tank, along with several anemones. I have to say everything had been running great! I only have to clean the glass about once a week. Everything in the tank seems to be very happy with the current bio load. I have been doing water changes about once every 2 months (I know i should be doing it more) [not really]. As far as i can tell the turf scrubber has been a success for me and when i move i plan on adding one to my 120g display tank. However, I will not be going skimmerless on the 120g display."

Redwing on the CR site: "I set [my scrubber] up to remove algae from my display tank (and that is exactly what it is doing). But I now I have noticed that my skim-mate is much darker and that I do not have to clean it as much (about once every week not every other day). also like I posted my nitrates have never been undetectable (more like 5+ ppm) so if you ask me [the scrubber] is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Could I take my skimmer offline maybe but I most likely will not I like knowing that I have backup if something fails [except, skimmers don't remove ammonia, so they won't help]. also my skimmer is a CL125 and I have more than 160 gallons in my hole setup so my skimmer has always been way undersized. (most people would use a skimmer twice that size for this many gallons)"

Mrbncal on the scrubber site: "I have a 75 w/ 30 gallon sump and ran w/o a skimmer for over a year BEFORE I found out about ATS'. There were some things that didnt do well, but anenomes and zoas, most lps did great, montis and a few acros grew fine w/o a skimmer. Bubble algae and hair algae did great also. Since I started running a screen covered in algae my tank has never been healthier. Its been 6 mos or so maybe 7, I have NO hair algae and the bubble algae is losing ground. Almost gone completely. I feed a ton of frozen and oyster feast. I should probably back off some feedings but the coco worms love life and the gorgonians are growing, so why change anything."

Tien on the MFK site: "So I have been running a scrubber on a test tank with goldfish. At one point nitrates were near 80 ppm (I know this is WAY high, but I did this intentionally with the goldfish). I have done no water changes, and my nitrates are now about 7 ppm! and nitrites are zero. I do not have the best set up with lighting yet and the scrubber set up only cost me $25, but it works with fresh water! [yes scrubbers work just as well with FW]. I am going to continue to add goldfish and overstock the tank to see how the scrubber handles it. Looks like I will be building a large scrubber system for the 500 gallon!"

Billy_m24 on the MFK site: "my algee scrubber is working, I finally have purple on my rocks! I have 175 reef tank with 2 400w MH light and 2 blue vho, my nitrate was always very high in the red zone, and now after 2 month [of using the scrubber] I'm running about 10 on the nitrates and I have purple [on the rocks], and my ph stays at 8.2"

PRC on the LR site: "I use a scrubber on a 180g tank, that I upgraded from a 90g tank. Neither ever had a skimmer. I ran across this [scrubber] thread when I was initially cycling my tank, I set it up according to specs, I've never had 1 piece of algae in my tank. I, like everybody, get the usual dusting on the glass that gets brushed off. But I've never had algae, and I've never had nitrates above 5ppm. I feed alot because I've got big fish with big appetites. I also have very little clean up crew. I panicked when I first set mine up because I didn't think it was working. I just left it, it started to work and has kept my tank very stable. Just tweek it a little and give it time. It doesn't take control of the system overnight, but once it does it keeps it very stable....on top of that it only takes about 5 minutes to clean once per week. I'm so naive when it comes to algae issues that when I read a thread about hair algae, I automatically assume that somebody is just neglecting there tank terribly because I've never had to deal with it."

Renman303 on the MD site: "I have been running a 4-sheet (8 1/2" x 11") ATS since June '09 with not only no ill effects but, my water is crystal clear! I have unhooked my Deltec AP851 Protein Skimmer in July of '09 (anyone want to buy it?) and have been running solely on the ATS since then (~15 months). I scrape one side of each of the 4 sheets once a month [needs more often!]. I add no chemicals of any kind to the water and only do a 10 percent water change once a week. Salt is much cheaper than chemicals. I don't even use RO/DI water any more. I just run through Carbon as Phosban prior to mixing. Simple....as it should be!"

Vannpytt on the scrubber site: "I'm experiencing massive amounts of live particles in my water. When the lights go out, and I turn on a flashlight, I can see with my bare eyes 1-3mm long shrimplike creatures swimming in the water, jumping on the stones. It's amazing, while the water is so clear, there are still so much life. I'm also experiencing massive critical comments from the local forums claiming I'm destined to fail etc. I still have no values measurable of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate nor phosphate. The pH is fine as well as the salinity. The algae growth [in the tank] that came initially, is slower, and I added 2 lawnmovers to take care of the rest. Coraline is spreading on the live rocks, I added a Sun Coral who seems to be happy, as well as some Zoas."

Vykhang on the scrubber site: "After 4 yrs, it has become so hard to maintain my 300 gal reef/fish tank due to nitrate and phosphate. Just doing 10-15 percent water changes on 300 gal tank per week is driving me crazy not to mention salt cost. After seaching the net and came across this website, I've started my own version of scrubber. It has been running over a year for me and I've not changed (add only) water since (I don't belive in changing water if all chemicals are in spec. The scrubbers are 1" above the water line to minimize the water noise [would be even better to have the screens in the water]. Water line is maintained by electronic sensor. Can't speak for everyone but the results has been absolutelly wonderful. Nitrate and Phosphate are un-detectable. I can't thank Santa Monica enough because little to no water changes. I just maintain chemical additives and add water to my reserve tank."

Yesman on the scrubber site: "I clean it all off completely every 7 days. However as you can see with over 3 pounds in weight of algae every 7 days being scraped off the screen and with nitrates and phosphates at zero, it may be ok to clean this way. Interesting to note that at the bottom of the acrylic box, the water level is about 3 inches with algae growing all over the acrylic and alive with pods, even some amphipods!"

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Last edited:

niqiri

I am wondering if I should add Flourish Phosphate by Seachem to my tank to get my algae going. I have been running the scrubber for approximately three weeks now and am just now getting very minor green algae growth. My tank's rock and sand both started out dry and dead, so there was no algae in the system that I could see. The lights have been off in the display so as to avoid unsightly algae growth there. My nitrates are only at forty ppm, and I was told that algae also needs phosphate to thrive. Should I start adding some potassium phosphate to get the screen going? Thanks.

redneckgearhead

Have you tested and confirmed you have 0 phosphates? What kind of light are you using?

niqiri

No I don't have a phosphate test kit, so there could be some in the water. As for the light, I have two 23 watt CFL floodlights with reflectors, both are closer than 4 inches to the screen.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

No need to add. It's just that you aren't feeding enough. Wait till you start feeding.

sikpupy

Howdy SantaMonica, have a question for you. Been a long time (about a year) algae scrubber user. I can attest that is seems to work because I have 6 gobys, 2 tangs a clown, Anthia's, royal gramma and another fish or two. My tank is just about clear, maybe a teaspoon diameter "total" all over of very soft hair(?) algae. I have a coast to coast which has a baseball size clump of hair algae I have let grow for pods. Other than that, the tank is totally free of algae. I may, may get a small dusting of algae on the glass once a week. It usually takes 10 days to build up enough to see it on the front. If fact, i am so algae free, my poor Blenny is starving with a sunken belly, lol.

But with that great news, comes the bad news. My water is yellow/brown! Now, I have heard I can use charcoal to clear it out. Thats fine but I am reluctant to use charchol because I dont want to take out the steak with the charcoal, as you put it.

What would you suggest the best way to get my clear water back? Do I use charcoal and just deal with the loss or is there another option? Maybe put a pump in a filter sock so I get just water?

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Here is the cause:

I have a coast to coast which has a baseball size clump of hair algae I have let grow for pods.

As it gets thick, the bottom layers get dark, and they get broken away by the pods when they eat. Since it is dark material, it colors the water. That's why there is a 7-day cleaning rule... it keeps it from getting too thick and dark on the bottom.

Probably a better way to grow larger pods is to use rock rubble. Let the pods live in the rubble, and they can eat what food floats by. They won't grow as fast, but it won't color the water.

Otherwise, yes you can use carbon, but it will slow your coral growth by removing the vitamins and amino acids from the water. Or, you could use chaeto, if it will survive; chaeto is slow-growing and porous and won't turn brown as quick on the bottom.

Regular algae screens are just not designed to be left growing.

italipinos8

Hi, new to these forums and wanted to start a tank. I've been researching a lot and came across this thread. So if i wanted to get a 30 gallon tank and to use this method i wouldn't need a protein skimmer? Also if i could i would want to use a 5 gallon bucket instead of a sump. Trying to save as much money as possible
Thanks for any help... Ben

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Hi Ben,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Floyd R Turbo

RS Sponsor

Welcome! If you're looking at starting a reef tank, just so you know, a 30 gallon is pretty small. I generally recommend that you go with a biggest system that your budget can afford you. Tank volume is very important, because the smaller the system, the less 'give' it has - you can have salinity fluctuations faster if you don't top off regularly. Plus you can't stock a 30 gallon with many fish, and the fish you can stock will be limited. So just keep that in mind. Every once in a while, Petco has a $1/gallon tank sale so keep an eye out for that. Also Craigslist is great, but you have to check tanks over pretty thoroughly.

If you're trying to do it on a budget, then the bucket method would be the way to go. They can be very effective if built right. The Algae Scrubbers website is full of examples and FAQs. There are also hundreds of examples all over the net. Do plenty of searching and build it right the first time.

italipinos8

Welcome! If you're looking at starting a reef tank, just so you know, a 30 gallon is pretty small. I generally recommend that you go with a biggest system that your budget can afford you. Tank volume is very important, because the smaller the system, the less 'give' it has - you can have salinity fluctuations faster if you don't top off regularly. Plus you can't stock a 30 gallon with many fish, and the fish you can stock will be limited. So just keep that in mind. Every once in a while, Petco has a $1/gallon tank sale so keep an eye out for that. Also Craigslist is great, but you have to check tanks over pretty thoroughly.

If you're trying to do it on a budget, then the bucket method would be the way to go. They can be very effective if built right. The Algae Scrubbers website is full of examples and FAQs. There are also hundreds of examples all over the net. Do plenty of searching and build it right the first time.

Well i've been looking into to this for about 3 months and putting money aside so i can get all the right stuff. I just seem to like the smaller nano tanks better then the bigger ones! All i really want in the tank is a pair of clownfish, a blenny, a sand goby, and some colorful corals like zoas and some frogspawn. Should i still go with a sump setup or just go with the bucket?

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

So if i wanted to get a 30 gallon tank and to use this method i wouldn't need a protein skimmer?

Correct.

Also if i could i would want to use a 5 gallon bucket instead of a sump

You can use any container you like; they operate the same. Best, however, is to have the scrubber above the tank, so it can drain into the tank. Nevertheless, here are the three options:

PumpFeed.jpg

OverflowFeed.jpg

SumplessFeed.jpg

ecenur

Yes i did rinse it off but the guys at IA said don't do much in the way of cleaning just yet, its not grown over a lot yet.

Flow IMO is pretty steady and not squirting all over the place. What makes you ask me if i can increase the flow?

The piece i got i cut in half and is 2 sided now, thanks to some tie wraps. i also bought 2 100w cf lights to replace the ones i had. They also don't use Halides on their scrubbers at IA, fwiw.

as far as the first cleaning goes i think im just gonna cut the tie wraps and reattach them afterwards. its only 2 tie wraps and they are pretty cheap, especially when i take em from work. lol, im an electrician so they are usually around somewhere on the job.

Jake

Im actually getting an electrician to come in and fix a few problems before I can have my tank where I want it to be to avoid any problems in the future, most likely guessing they'll have tie wraps with them so I wouldn't have to buy them on my own will I?

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick

any pics of SPS tanks using this ?

how do you deal with increased bacteria with no skimmer ?

ecenur

Got an electrician in the morning to come on in and take a look at a few of my problems, got them resolved cleaned up and finally got to set up my tank, I'm incredibly happy it's looks beautiful, took a huge load off my back, going to purchase more fish tomorrow with different colors, trying to light the place up like a second Christmas tree.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

how do you deal with increased bacteria with no skimmer

You want more bacteria. That's what feeds corals. That's why people buy and dose bio-this and bio-that.

drbark

Santa Monica

I have a turf scrubber. I've had it for about a year now. It's not growing stuff on it that fast and aggressive as some of the people have stated here. Also it seems my flow might be too fast and not giving the algae any air contact. Anyway, I am running it 18 hrs per day, with a 400 gph pump running on the turf. The lights contain 2 25 watt flourescent bulbs. (maybe I need stronger lights). I have some brown turf algae growing. It looks light fibrous turf stuff. Was thinking using a wavemaker device to turn off and then on the pump. Also recently (can't figure out why) my phosphates are at 0.25 ppm with the Salifert test kit. Even though I am doing weekly 30% water changes, they are still staying the same. Every other parameter is within normal limits. Open to suggestions from anyone.

Thank you