Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

MischiefManaged

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

Well.. That just thoroughly confused me on my algae problem. ;-)

I've got a 270 gallon system.. a 180 gallon tank, with a 90 gallon fuge. the fuge is chock full of macro.. I'm using filter socks, and a skimmer... I've had the Dino's issue for several months now, and I've tried everything I can to remove it, including complete darkness, huge water changes, and running tons of GFO and carbon, among others.. With the water changes, I am using an RO/DI and the water has 0TDS.. It seems as tho with every water change, it just comes back worse, and has even begun to spread to my other tanks.. It's driving me nuts.. If I did do an ATS, I wouldn't eliminate the skimmer, or filter socks.. I trust them too much.. Maybe I'll just try adding one in, and see how it goes..

Frankie

RS STAFF
Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

Well.. That just thoroughly confused me on my algae problem. ;-)

I've got a 270 gallon system.. a 180 gallon tank, with a 90 gallon fuge. the fuge is chock full of macro.. I'm using filter socks, and a skimmer... I've had the Dino's issue for several months now, and I've tried everything I can to remove it, including complete darkness, huge water changes, and running tons of GFO and carbon, among others.. With the water changes, I am using an RO/DI and the water has 0TDS.. It seems as tho with every water change, it just comes back worse, and has even begun to spread to my other tanks.. It's driving me nuts.. If I did do an ATS, I wouldn't eliminate the skimmer, or filter socks.. I trust them too much.. Maybe I'll just try adding one in, and see how it goes..

Don't get me wrong. I like this thread and SM ideas. I think he puts great efforts into helping fellow reefers and is always coming up with cool new ideas and DIY projects.
(I just don't like my posts being dissected as if I haven't a clue ;) )

It is in my opinion that all these refugiums, ATS, DSB's etc.. are counter productive. If there is no nuisance algae in the system to begin with then you would not need to worry about it. So eliminating it's food source and physically removing the problem will greatly reduce to eradicating the problem.

After years now studying the reef keeping hobby using all the above mentioned methods I found mechanical, chemical and good elbow grease to be the best method for a pristine healthy flourishing reef aquarium.
Probiotics with heavy mechanical filtration are going to be the future IMO and why the europeans are so far ahead of us.
I do not want to derail this thread though. ATS do have a place in this hobby and will work to some extent. They are being used world wide on huge scales to clean public waste waters.
They are fun to build and interesting to observe. Done properly and for the right reasons they can be a great benefit to the inhabitants of your reefs.
I just have a problem with the idea that this is an easy fix for those suffering from nuisance algae.
If you would like to discuss your cyanobacteria issues with me MischiefManaged shoot me a pm.

Frankie

RS STAFF

Just a quick question. How can it be a parasite if it "eats" dead or dying matter? I thought a parasite would be surviving off of a larger host?

And another question. Is there something dangerous (to our tanks) about running the scrubbers? The theory seems sound to me but Im no scientist, and fairly new to aquariums so I dont know. It just seems some people on this site and others get very upset when you even mention the idea. Please explain.

Hello redneckgearhead, welcome to RS :)
I never said they eat dead and dying matter. Dead and dying matter are the fuel source for the nutrients that dinos feed on.
Here is a quote from one of the links I provided in my previous post #1299 at the bottom:
Free-living dinoflagellates can also cause problems in fish tanks. They can "bloom" in fish tanks and cause similar problems as RED TIDE and "death bloom" (PFIESTERIA PISCICIDA). These types of tank blooms are usually the result of nutrient build-up, which feeds the bloom. Avoid blooms in tanks by not over-feeding, removal of dead/dying plants, doing regular filter/tank cleaning, using a protein skimmer,etc.

redneckgearhead

Ok Frankie Thanks for clarifying for me. Dead and Dieing matter are just part of the chain.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

I am starting to question YOUR knowledge on how the ocean works now thank you very much

I'll refer you to some basic marine studies which will help clear it up.

90 percent of all dinoflagellates are marine plankton. Free-living dinoflagellates are what we find most common in aquariums today. They are parasites actually. How you think providing them a food source will remove them from an aquarium is beyond me.

He was not talking about plankton; he was trying to remove stuff from his rocks/walls/glass. I never said anything about providing anything with a food source. Scrubbers (algae) remove food sources for algae.

I have yet to read anything about inorganic nutrients being Dinoflagellates food source. In fact, it is dead and dyeing plant matter, fish food, fish waste etc... that are the main fuels for these parasites.

1. Dino's, at least the autotrophic ones we have to deal with, are algae, and algae feed on Inorganics, not organics. There are a few types of algae that are "heterotrophic" -- which feed on organics, but they don't play a part in our interests, because everything we as aquarist do is controlled by light. This is why if you shut your lights off permanently, all algae will go away. Thus, we are only concerned with the photosynthetic algae, which is most of the algae anyways.

2. Algae use chlorophyll to combine light with Inorganic nutrients, to grow. This is why algae are called "primary producers"; chlorophyll is the only thing which can produce living matter from non-living matter. The rest of the earth feeds from this.

3. It is not the "dead and dyeing plant matter, fish food, fish waste" that the dino's are feeding on, it the Ammonia/Ammonium, and the resulting Nitrite, Inorganic Nitrate, Inorganic Phosphate, that the dino's are feeding on. This is the basic mistake that all skimmer folks make: They confuse the "steak" with the "smoke". The rotting food is the "steak"; the ammonia etc is the "smoke". Skimmers remove the steak, and scrubbers remove the smoke.

4. Remember what Zoothanthellae are: dino's. Remember what zoothanthellae do: Remove inorganics (nitrate, phosphate, etc) from the water and use them to produce organics (sugars), which are then fed to the host coral. Most of the inorganics that the zoothanthellae eat are actually fed to it by the host coral itelf, and thus nutrients are recycled from host to zoothanthellae and back to the host.

5. Here are some basic marine bio videos which cover nutrient reduction:

(A) Ocean Productivity - Intro:
YouTube - Ocean Productivity - Intro
at 4:30: "phytoplankton are the basis of primary production in the ocean. [...]
at 6:50: "single cell phytoplankton like diatoms, dinoflagellates..."

(B) Ocean Productivity - Chlorophylls and Helper Pigments:
YouTube - Ocean Productivity - Chlorophylls & "Helper" Pigments
at 1:28: "the diatoms and dinoflagellates have chlorophyll..."

(C) Ocean Productivity - Nutrients and Primary Production:
YouTube - Ocean Productivity - Nutrients & Primary Production
at 0:50: "all plants, including phytoplankton, need macronutrients... they need a source of nitrogen, a source of phosphorus..."
at 3:00: "these nutrients are dissolved in seawater; they are not little sandwiches ["steaks"] that phytoplankton with teeth come along and eat. [the phytoplankton] absorb these compounds through their cell walls [...] They are absorbing dissolved phosphorus and dissolved nitrogen (nitrate)..."
at 7:45: "in the upper 10 meters of the ocean we have no nitrate at all; as we go deeper, we see that the concentration of nitrate increases very rapidly to some maximal concentration, and we find this concentration to be very similar throughout the rest of the water column. The question is: What happend to the nutrients up there in the surface waters? They were absorbed by the phytoplankton! The phytoplankon use nutrients, and in doing so, they remove them from the surface waters."

6. Here are some basic research studies that give more details, and test numbers...

(A) Functional aspects of nutrient cycling on coral reefs. The Ecology of Deep and Shallow Coral Reefs, Symposia Series for Undersea Research, 1983
http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/general/lib/CREWS/SaltRiver/salt_river22.pdf

"It generally is believed that the main evolutionary adaptation to low nutrient conditions in reef environments has been the evolution of relationships that lead to efficient recycling of nutrients. The foremost example of this type of relationship is the [relationship] between algae and invertebrates. Present day coral reefs are physically dominated by a variety of orders and classes of [corals], and virtually all of them have symbiotic dinoflagellates (zooxanthellae) [algae] in their tissues. It has been repeatedly demonstrated that these [corals] do not excrete waste products as do other nonsymbiotic animals, and that there is even a measurable uptake of dissolved nutrients by them attributable to the presence of the algae. Other invertebrate groups, including sponges, molluscs and ascidians, also have some species with algal symbionts. This form of recycling is the most efficient possible (often 100 percent), since the nutrients are available to the algae in concentrated form."

(B) An assessment of indices of nutrient sufficiency in symbiotic dinoflagellates. Proceedings of the 8th International Coral Reef Symposium, 1997.
ReefBase :: Log In (get a free account to read)

"A variety of methods for assessing the nutrient status of marine plants have been applied to zooxanthellae from corals and sea anemones. [...] Ammonium enhancement of dark carbon fixation is greater in N-limited zooxanthellae, as does the uptake of dissolved inorganic nitrogen."

(C) Diversity of symbiotic dinoflagellates (zooxanthellae) in scleractinian corals of the Caribbean eastern Pacific. Proceedings of the 8th International Coral Reef Symposium, 1997.
ReefBase :: Log In

(D) The Dinoflagellates of Twin Cays, Belize: Biodiversity, Distribution, and Vulnerability. Atoll Research Bulletin, 2004.
ReefBase :: Log In

"Floating detritus, a unique microcosm, acts as a reservoir of diverse microalgae and meiofauna in mangrove areas found in Twin Cays, Belize. The Lair, Boston Bay, Hidden Creek and Main Channel, four locations within Twin Cays, were used as the study sites. Large suspended detrital aggregates are specialized environments where benthic *photosynthetic* and heterotrophic organisms thrive as suspended free-floating cells in the water column. On the water surface, patches of detritus, a combination of benthic organisms, dinoflagellates, diatoms, cyanobacteria and dinoflagellate cysts [all photosynthetic], are enclosed in a matrix of fibers. Heterotrophic organisms are also numerous in floating detritus."

For more studies, go to:
ReefBase :: Main Publications
...click on the "advanced search" on the right, and put "dinoflagellates" in the TITLE box.

from all the ATS systems I have seen they look to be about twice the work it takes to remove and replace water.

Then read what the people said, who run scrubbers and who have said the opposite:
Algae Scrubbers • View topic - Results of Successful Scrubbers (newest at end)
It's too much to post here, but I will if you want.

I'll take a tube and suck water out of a tank any day over having all that algae and junk getting under my finger nails

1. Then what are you going to do to remove all the nutrients? A 30 percent water change only removes 30 percent of the nutrients. A scrubber removes them all, and keeps them at levels too low for your test kits to read.

2. Nobody cleans the screens with their fingernails. It's just done in the videos as a demonstration.

Also the smell is less then desirable

There is no smell. You would know this if you ran a scrubber. The screen is covered by water, so it smells the same as your tank water does. If a screen "smells", then the flow is too little for it even to work anyway.

Old tank syndrome is just another word for "I'm to lazy to upkeep my aquarium"

OTS happens to the folks who are the best with husbandry, i.e., the ones who can manage to keep their tanks for 3 to 5 years.

How on Gods good earth did you come up with water changes add metals to aquariums

The manufacturing process of artificial salt requires metals. Once in the water, the metals stay there (algae, of course, eats metals). Start here for info:

Down the Drain, Exports from Reef Aquaria by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

"Freshly mixed artificial sea water is heavily laden with a tremendous excess of potentially toxic heavy metals. Just how toxic this material is remains open to question, however anecdotal and other evidence from invertebrate embryologists indicates it is significantly toxic. If freshly mixed artificial sea water contains some toxic concentrations of some trace metals, these metals will not be detoxified immediately in a tank, and until they are, they will be adding to the cumulative toxic chemical load found in the tank animals. This could occur with each water change."

"I have spent much of the last couple of years taking an indirect look at what happens in reef tanks with regard to various chemical constituents, primarily the toxic heavy metals, referred to in the hobby as "trace elements". [...] I have documented the metal concentrations from samples of aquarium tank water taken from 23 tanks across the United States and are summarized in Table 1, below. These data are unambiguous and conclusive, showing that in these tanks, many of the toxic heavy metals concentrations exceeded demonstrated lethal levels for many corals and other marine organisms"

"Precipitated materials in the deep sand beds accumulate with time, but they are not toxic as long as they remain insoluble in the sediments. If those materials should become soluble, however, they would present serious and acute toxicity problems. Such precipitates may become soluble if:

o they are exposed to the aerobic conditions in shallower sediments ["stirring of the DSB"]

o they are exposed to acidic conditions, such as might happen during a calcium reactor malfunction [reduced pH, which can also occur from dosing vodka].

o they are eaten by a deposit-feeding animal [Clean up crew, gobies, etc].

o nutrient loading of the sediments causes bacterial populations to create a more acidic bed. [simply a buildup over time]

"Any of these events can cause either acute toxicity, or accelerate chronic poisoning, and the events can vary significantly in duration and effect. To remove or reduce the threat of some catastrophic event happening, and to avoid long-term or chronic poisoning, it is to the aquarist’s advantage to reduce the accumulation of these materials either in the water or in the sediments."

"the [metal] export mechanisms available in the average system seem capable of removing some of the excess materials relatively efficiently (Table 4C), as long as the remaining excess is detoxified by sediment dwelling bacteria and algae.

"tank sediment beds [DSB's] and the porosity of rocks represent a limited volume for detoxified materials. In essence, the sediment beds and rock porosity has a finite capacity for detoxification. Sooner or later, these volumes will become saturated and toxic heavy metals may begin to accumulate in tank waters, or in portions of the sediment which are at the aerobic/anaerobic boundary. Such boundaries are found in deep sand beds and inside of live rock, and their positions fluctuate in nature and in our tanks, primarily with the input of organic matter (food) to the system. If many toxic metals such as copper have been deposited in these marginal areas, and the feeding regime in the tank is altered so that that the depth of the boundary changes, significant amounts of toxic materials may be released."

"The problem comes with the initial levels of heavy metals concentration found in artificial salt mixes. Unless these excessive amounts of metals can be exported, they will accumulate and, with the passage of time and associated water changes, will become more potentially troublesome."

"Heavy metal poisoning in such situations would typically be a cumulative process, resulting in mortality after several months or years."

"Export efficiency may be measured in a couple of ways, however, and although on a per weight basis Xenia appears to be the best export mechanism, Caulerpa grows far faster in most tanks and it would accumulate a lot more of the needed export per unit time." [This was done in 2002... before easy DIY scrubber designs were available.]

"more work remains to be done before a satisfactory export methodology is available to reef aquarists." [Well the work has now been done, and the super-fast growing algae in a scrubber is what removes the most metals in the shortest amount of time]

The biggest cause of cyano bacteria comes from poor water sources. Im not going to even waste my time on this one.

Feel free to post your sources/studies/articles on this, as I have. You won't find any, because even if the source water is "bad", a scrubber will remove the bad items. Fish-only folks, including my test 10g FW, are now running their tanks on tap water with NO CONDITIONER added, and some reefers are now (slowly) experimenting with running their reefs on tap water for top off. All indications are that the algae will remove everything "bad" in tap water, if the water is added slowly as top-off (and quickly as a water change). Even chloramines: The Vitamin C and Ascorbate produced by algae (which many reefers add manually to their tanks) breaks chloramines into chlorine+ammonia; the chlorine evaporates, and the algae consumes the ammonia.

Were not keeping the ocean in our aquariums. And we will never be capable of doing in a glass box what mother nature does on a planet wide scale.

The chemistry in an aquarium is exactly the same as the chemistry in an ocean. Requirements for salinity, pH, NO3, etc don't change. In the open ocean, the chlorophyll in the phytoplankton does all the filtering, but ON A REAL NATURAL REEF, the benthic (attached sea-floor algae) do all the filtering, because there is not enough water volume (depth) to contain enough phytoplankton. It is this attached solid algae that is used in a scrubber.

We will always be dependent on mechanical filtration for long term aquarium keeping

Thousands of reefers, on my threads alone, are doing the opposite by using natural algae filtration. Tens of thousand that I hear about (but are not on my threads) are doing the same.

I have seen your system and what happens when you let it go for too long in your YouTube video. It became over ridden with algae problems and even some of the equipment you were keeping started to fail.

When you let a pump go for over a year without cleaning out the calcium (which calcifies fast at 8.4 pH), it will slow down and reduce flow to the scrubber. That was my first pump I ever used (besides the return pump), and now I know to clean it. Has never happened again. Tell me what would happen to any of your pumps if you never cleaned them, including your skimmer pump.

If you had a skimmer onboard I am sure you would not have had these problems.

One day you will understand that skimmers do not remove nutrients. None, not even a little. I did have a skimmer, by the way: A mesh-modded Euroreef CSS-8, I believe. All my algae and death problems occured while using it. All the problems (and nuisance algae) stopped after switching to a scrubber, with no water changes. And last month was two years of no water changes.

Why you seem hell bent on disproving a long term proven method of nutrient removal via a protein skimmer is beyond me.

Because skimmers don't remove nutrients. Show me one study, just one, where it says that skimmers remove Ammonia, Ammonium, Inorganic Nitrate, Inorganic Phosphate, Nitrite, or even CO2. And don't say that skimmers "remove the organics before they break down into inorgancs", because organics are FOOD. If skimmers removed INORGANICS, skimmed tanks would not grow nuisance algae on the rocks, and would not require glass cleaning. SCRUBBED tanks REMOVE nuisance algae from the rock, sand, and even reduce the amount of glass cleaning dramatically. And this is with low-power DIY scrubbers, not manufactured devices like your skimmer. If you really want to compare, try comparing a SELF-BUILT skimmer to a scrubber.

Thanks, but the focus is on water filtering and tank problems, and this involves photosynthetic algae (which include photo dino's). They are the mass of the open ocean (behind only cyano and diatoms in population), and are what go away when you turn your lights off permanently. Just like the the focus of bacteria is nitrifying bacteria: yes there are other bacteria, like things which make humans sick, but the focus is on what filters our tanks.

Is there something dangerous (to our tanks) about running the scrubbers? The theory seems sound to me but Im no scientist, and fairly new to aquariums so I dont know. It just seems some people on this site and others get very upset when you even mention the idea. Please explain.

No there is no danger, and there has never been a single instance of "killing a tank" with algae. After all, your tank already has algae. People get upset because they work for a skimmer-related company (manufacturer, distributor, retail) or another type (salt, etc). All these companies/people have money in their marketing/promotion budgets, and part of the budget is to convince people on the forums. This includes hiring people to talk bad about scrubbers. Algae, however, has no budget.

Well.. That just thoroughly confused me on my algae problem. I've got a 270 gallon system.. a 180 gallon tank, with a 90 gallon fuge. the fuge is chock full of macro.. I'm using filter socks, and a skimmer... I've had the Dino's issue for several months now

As you see, skimmers do not remove nutrients. Also, macro's in a fuge do remove some nutrients, but they are not very strong because of lack of flow, lack of light, and lack of harvesting (compared to a scrubber). Putting a scrubber in it's place will remove the dino's, as it has on hundreds of others' tanks. It works every time unless it's not built properly, in which case I can correct it if I see pics of it.

If there is no nuisance algae in the system to begin with then you would not need to worry about it.

Incorrect. What do you think happens when you feed? You are adding dead food, which breaks down into nutrients. This build ups, unless removed. There must be an export; you cannot just import. Also, fish and coral waste break down too. It's the Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate from the decaying food and waste that cause nuisance algae problems.

So eliminating [the algae's] food source and physically removing the problem will greatly reduce to eradicating the problem.

Correct. Algae eat INORGANICS, in this order of preference: Ammonia/Ammonium, nitrite, Inorganic Nitrate, Inorganic Phosphate. Since skimmers do not remove these at all, you have to use something that does. Algae removes all of these (which is why the nuisance algae grows so well in your tank).

After years now studying the reef keeping hobby using all the above mentioned methods I found mechanical, chemical and good elbow grease to be the best method for a pristine healthy flourishing reef aquarium.

And how many scrubbers have you used? How many non-photo corals can you keep without target feeding? How many scooters and mandarins and plankton-feeding anthias can you keep without target feeding? Are your corals doubling in mass every 4 weeks? Do you only have to clean your glass once every two weeks? And what happens when you do no maintenance at all for months at a time (other than cleaning the screen), like many scrubber users do?

Probiotics with heavy mechanical filtration are going to be the future IMO

They work great for growing bacteria and lowering nitrate and phosphate, but you have to use a skimmer to remove the bacteria, which also removes the food for the corals and small fish. And what is going to remove the metals and CO2, and increase the pH? (corals grow best at 8.4)

I just have a problem with the idea that this is an easy fix for those suffering from nuisance algae.

It IS an easy fix, done by hundreds of beginners on their very first tanks. It's fool-proof, works every time, can't hurt anything, and is super cheap to DIY. All you are doing is moving the growth of the algae from your tank to the screen.

If you would like to discuss your cyanobacteria issues

Cyano (the type attached to rocks and sand) are the last to go when using a scrubber. But they still require phosphate, so they will go away.

Frankie

RS STAFF

Could you please provide us with a bit more detail?
LOL! JK and well written SM :thumbup:

GlassMunky

So after reading most of this thread (its sooooo long) I've decided to give this a try. I've been dealing with a bunch of what i think is turf algea (ironically) all over my rocks and now some HA is starting too. I've been manually removing it, only using RO/DI water for EVERYTHING, cut back my feedings to 2x a week, I've got cheato in the tank, use a phosphate media, and run a remora skimmer(its new), and still am having issues with algea. I've even turned off my lights for 3 days completely. that works for a little but eventually the algea comes back. I dont know what else to do, other than try this. it seems to be a sound idea to me; plus i have almost everything needed, except the drain for the bucket and the pump (may use the maxi-jet 1200 from the skimmer). My plan is to use a juice jug as my bucket (like in this thread by someone) and use the gravel-vac i have laying around as the spraybar. it will be on a shelf right behind/above my tank as i have no sump. Hopefully this works. I'll take pics of the setup once its made and definatly some B&A ppics of the tank.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Although almost no aquarist knows this (athough every marine biologist does), algae produces all the vitamins and amino acids in the ocean that corals need to grow. Yes these are the same vitamins and amino acids that reefers buy and dose to their tanks. How do you think the vitamins and amino acids got in the ocean in the first place? Algae also produces a carbon source to feed the nitrate-and-phosphate-reducing bacteria (in addition to the algae consuming nitrate and phosphate itself). Yes this is the same carbon that many aquarists buy and add to their tanks. In particular, algae produce:

Vitamins:

Vitamin A
Vitamin E
Vitamin B6
Beta Carotene
Riboflavin
Thiamine
Biotin
Ascorbate (breaks chloramines into chlorine+ammonia)
N5-Methyltetrahydrofolate
Other tetrahydrofolate polyglutamates
Oxidized folate monoglutamates
Nicotinate
Pantothenate

Amino Acids:

Alanine
Aspartic acid
Leucine
Valine
Tyrosine
Phenylalanine
Methionine
Aspartate
Glutamate
Serine
Proline

Carbohydrates (sugars):

Galactose
Glucose
Maltose
Xylose

Misc:

Glycolic Acid
Citric Acid (breaks chloramines into chlorine+ammonia)
Nucleic Acid derivatives
Polypeptides
Proteins
Enzymes
Lipids

Studies:

Production of Vitamin B-12, Thiamin, and Biotin by Phytoplankton. Journal of Phycology, Dec 1970:
PRODUCTION OF VITAMIN B12, THIAMINE, AND BIOTIN BY PHYTOPLANKTON1 - Carlucci - 2008 - Journal of Phycology - Wiley Online Library

Secretion Of Vitamins and Amino Acids Into The Environment By Ochromanas Danica. Journal of Phycology, Sept 1971 (Phycology is the study of algae):
SECRETION OF VITAMINS AND AMINO ACIDS INTO THE ENVIRONMENT BY OCHROMONAS DANICA1,2 - Aaronson - 2008 - Journal of Phycology - Wiley Online Library

Qualitative Assay of Dissolved Amino Acids and Sugars Excreted by Chlamydomanas Reinhardtii (chlorophyceae) and Euglena Gracilis (Euglenophyceae), Jounrnal of Phycology, Dec 1978:
QUALITATIVE ASSAY OF DISSOLVED AMINO ACIDS AND SUGARS EXCRETED BY CHLAMYDOMONAS REINHARDTII (CHLOROPHYCEAE) AND EUGLENA GRACILIS (EUGLENOPHYCEAE)1 - Vogel - 2006 - Journal of Phycology - Wiley Online Library

yoons45

I unplugged my skimmer and turn on light in my sump to apply this system in a couple of days.
So far fishes go well and there are no changes as i see it.
I put the algae filter horizontally because my table is low.

I hope my algae filter works well.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Remember that non-verticals (like yours) need 4 times the area, because they are less effective. Here again are the guidlines:

Tank Size Guideline:

0.5 actual (not equivalent) fluorescent watts per gallon MINIMUM [0.13 watts per liter].

1.0 actual (not equivalent) fluorescent watts per gallon for HIGH filtering [0.26 watts per liter].

1.0 square inches of screen per gallon, with bulbs on BOTH sides (10 x 10 = 100 square inches = 100 gal) [1.64 square cm per liter]

2.0 square inches of screen per gallon, if vertical but lit on just ONE side. [3.28 square cm per liter]

4.0 square inches of screen per gallon, if HORIZONTAL [6.56 square cm per liter].

1.5 actual (not equivalent) fluorescent watts per gallon if HORIZONTAL [0.4 watts per liter].

18 hours of lights ON, and 6 hours of lights OFF, each day.

Flow is 24 hours, and is at least 35 gph per inch of width of screen, EVEN IF one sided [60 lph per cm].

Very rough screen made of roughed-up-like-a-cactus plastic canvas.

Clean algae off of screen every SEVEN (7) days NO MATTER WHAT YOU THINK.

Feeding Guidline:

Each cube of frozen food you feed per day needs 12 square inches of screen, with a light on both sides totaling 12 watts. Thus a nano that is fed one cube a day would need a screen 3 X 4 inches with a 6 watt bulb on each side. A larger tank that is fed 10 cubes a day would need a screen 10 X 12 inches with 60 watts of light on each side. If you feed flake, feeder fish, or anything else, you will need to blend it up super thick, strain out the excess water, pour it into a cube, and see how many cubes it is.

yoons45

How about if i put some kinds of seaweed in sump.
I think the seaweeds will help the water condition.
My plan is a combination work of algae filter and seaweed as well as filter medium.
I'll give some slope on my filter as much as possible for more efficiency.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Do some reading before putting any algae in your sump.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Well it took a while to get time to take more pics, but here are the updated ones of my 100 gallon tank. The main thing to mention is that this tank is not for showing... it is for experimenting. Details are at the end of this post. There have been no waterchanges since August 2008. The only dosings are Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime in the top-off (for Cal and Alk), Seachem Reef Advantage mag, and Seachem Reef Advantage strontium. Feeding is 48 ml of skimmate... I mean... blended oysters, per day, 20 square inches of nori per day, and one silverside per week (for the eel). There are no mechanical filters, no chemical filters, and no sand. The only filters are the live rock (now 5 years old), and the algae in the scrubbers. The lighting is 2 X 150 watt halides, and one 96 watt actinic. The tank is 30 inches tall. Tests are Nitrate and Phosphate = 0 (Salifert), pH = 8.3 to 8.6, and the water is contantly filled with food particles:

High-Res: Click here
Oct2010TankSmall.jpg

Oct2010AcroColors.jpg

Oct2010AcroGreen.jpg

Oct2010Digitata.jpg

Oct2010Digitata2.jpg

Oct2010BrainAndMushrooms.jpg

Oct2010BrownXmas.jpg

Oct2010Coralline2.jpg

Oct2010Coralline.jpg

Oct2010Coralline3.jpg

Oct2010Coralline5.jpg

Oct2010Coralline6.jpg

Oct2010CorallineOverflow.jpg

Oct2010CorallineOverflow2.jpg

Oct2010Echino.jpg

Oct2010EelShrimp.jpg

Oct2010EelTube.jpg

Oct2010Elegance.jpg

Oct2010Elephant.jpg

Oct2010Favia.jpg

Oct2010FeatherDuster1.jpg

Oct2010FeatherDuster2.jpg

Oct2010FlowerPot.jpg

Oct2010FlowerPot3.jpg

Oct2010FragTray.jpg

Oct2010Litho.jpg

Oct2010Litho2.jpg

Oct2010LithoAndMonti.jpg

Oct2010MontePlates3.jpg

Oct2010MontePlates4.jpg

Oct2010MontePlates5.jpg

Oct2010MontiOverflow.jpg

continued...

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Oct2010MontiPlates1.jpg

Oct2010MontiPlates2.jpg

Oct2010MushroomsBlue.jpg

Oct2010NotSure.jpg

Oct2010Palys.jpg

Oct2010Pocillopora.jpg

Oct2010Powder.jpg

Oct2010Scoly.jpg

Oct2010Sponge.jpg

Oct2010Stylophora.jpg

Oct2010Superman.jpg

Oct2010SupermanAndEchino.jpg

Oct2010TubeAnemone.jpg

Oct2010XmasRock.jpg

Oct2010Yuma.jpg

Oct2010Zoos1.jpg

Oct2010Zoos2.jpg

Oct2010Zoos3.jpg

Oct2010Bubble.jpg

Oct2010Clam1.jpg

Oct2010TopOfTank.jpg

Oct2010LiquidFeeder.jpg

Oct2010BatteryPumps.jpg

Videos:

Whole Tank:
YouTube - SantaMonica Oct 2010 Whole Tank

Tank Right to Left:
YouTube - SantaMonica Oct 2010 Right to Left

Eel Eating:
YouTube - SantaMonica Oct 2010 Eel Eating

Flower Pot:
YouTube - SantaMonica Oct 2010 Flower Pot

Frag Tray:
YouTube - SantaMonica Oct 2010 frag tray

Liquid Feeder:
YouTube - SantaMonica Oct 2010 Liquid Feeder

Tube Anemone:
YouTube - SantaMonica Oct 2010 Tube Anemone

Here were the main experiments:

Iron Overdosing: I tried adding an iron supplement for many years, but never saw any affect. I always followed the instructions, such as Kent's Iron+Manganese "Add two teaspoons per 100 gal, per week". It had no visible effect. But after I started to read the literature about algae and iron, and after I realized that I now have much more algae in my system that the average tank does, I went out on a limb and poured in 8 ounces of Kent's. This is 24 times the recommended dosage for 100 gallons. But I reasoned that it's not the gallons that matter, it's the amount of algae. And it worked. The algae in the scrubber, that previously was yellow and hard (due to lack of iron), turned solid green and fluffy. Growth was much faster that week too.

So if more was better, much more should be much better. So I poured in a HALF GALLON of the Kent's. This is 225 times the recommended dosage, and over 9 times more than what I put in before. This was the biggest mistake I've made yet on this tank (coral-wise). Within a few hours, both of the bubble corals shrank up to nothing, and started letting pieces go. The next day, my 3 year old 5" litho was half gone. And by the end of the week about 30 of my 60 corals were completely wiped out. Iron was even beginning to deposit on the inside of the tubing that feeds the scrubbers. Well, I never did a waterchange, and things have gone back to normal, but now I know the power and the problems of adding iron. The more algae you have in a system, the more iron it can use; but don't add too much. How much is too much? The green soft corals (like a green bubble) seem to be affected first, so watch those.

Over Feeding: When my scrubber (only one unit at the time) was basically not filtering at all (before I knew about pumps clogging, and lights getting weaker), I increased feeding to 128 ml of skimmate... I mean blended oysters... per day, along with 5 frozen cubes per day, and one silverside per day. No waterchanges of course. So with this high level of import, and with almost no export, nuisance algae began to explode in the tank. I must say, the few SPS I had really grew at that time. The over feeding made up for the small 150 watt halides in a 30 inch tall tank.

Non Feeding: After realizing the non-flow in the scrubber (due to the clogged pump), and the worn out lights in the scrubber (should have been replaced 9 months earlier), I got the export back into operation. But to speed up the removal of the nuisance algae in the display, I stopped all feeding for 2 months. No blended oysters, no nori, no cubes, nothing. Only one silverside for the eel, but only every 2 weeks. Well, another big lesson learned: If corals have been growing based on high amounts of food in the water, they cannot survive on less. In other words, if the food in the water was always low, the corals would not have developed a need for food. But since they were fed large amounts of food for a while, they grew and needed those large amounts at all times. When the feeding was stopped, I lost about 4 corals in the first 4 weeks, and another 10 corals in the next 4 weeks.

So the pics you see are what's left after the iron, the over feeding, and the non-feeding. I don't recommend these tests for anyone else; I did them so that I would be able to recommend safe feeding and filtering methods for others.

Last edited:

mgraf

I read your post about 6 months ago and built a scrubber in my sump, First round worked great! Since then I had to do some work on my sump so I shut it down for a bit and just restarted it up again. This time, all I can get to grow is dinoflagellates. They are in my tank, sump, and all over the scrubber. Should I discontinue the use of the scrubber until I get a handle on the problem in my tank. I am worried that by continuing the use of the scrubber right now, I am making my problem even worse. Any help or suggestions will help, Any ideas on dealing with these dino's will also be very helpfull.
Thanks!

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

A scrubber will only remove dino's from the tank, not add them. Tell more (pics too) about your setup.

mgraf

Its a 65 gal with a 20 gallon sump. my parameters are:
Nitrate 0
phos 0
PH 8.0
Dkh 12
Cal 380

On my first attempt with the scrubbers, it went very well. Green hair looking algae grew all over the screen and the hair in my tank vanished. I did continue to get growth of algae on my glass though but, not the hair. I basically used one compartment of my sump which is about 12" wide by 18" long to build a scrubber. I laid a piece of 3/8 plexiglass on a angle, attached a removable screen to it and allowed the flow from my entire system to flow over it. I should probably mention that I run about 900-1000 gph through the tank with two mag drive pumps. I then had to tear the sump down for a couple days to address some resealing issues and when I restarted the scrubber, I had totally cleaned the screen. It never took back off the same. About the same time I bought a new piece of live rock which had cured at the LFS. Whe I placed the rock into the tank, I ended up moving some stuff around and disturbed the sand bed. I'm not sure if stirring the sand bed, or the new rock, or what but, here comes the dino's. They are not an epidemic yet but getting worse. They would grow over the screen on my scrubber in about 3 days, completely cover it. I would wash it off and it would just be right back. Everyday I am blowing this stuff off of my corals with a turkey baster and changing my filter sock. I cut the light down to six hours with 2 attinics and a four hour period in the middle with one more attinic and 3 t-5 HO 52watt bulbs. I used to run the light on my scrubber 24/7 but I have taken the screen off and cleaned it and have turned off my lights over the scrubber to try and help starve the dinos.
I do admit that I feed alot, I have a few non-photosynthetic corals that require daily feedings. That is one of the reasons I liked the idea of a scrubber to help reduce this extra load. I also have about 80 lbs live rock for filtration, and run a jebo skimmer. (could be bigger but, works pretty good)
Should I keep the scrubber up and running, or should I shut it down until the dinos are gone?
Thanks,
Matt