Max C-250 - T5 to LED Conversion

Roy Page

I think the problem with the core hood exchange idea is that people were making Steves buy them a whole new hood if they found so much as a scratch on it. They were losing money on liability issues (or thought they were).

Thanks Pat for the input.
As far as I know, Steve's have never offered a Core Exchange Hood LED install scheme. They suggested that they might take up my idea of doing it, but expressed concern, using the problem you indicated as a reason not to do it!

That problem is just easily solved! Give clear information as what to expect when the exchange hood arrives and what condition your hood must meet to be accepted as a core without an additional charge.

Core Exchange Schemes operate extensively within the aircraft industry. I bought a rebuilt Lycoming engine for my Piper Archer on a Core Exchange Scheme.
It saved me weeks of downtime waiting for my own engine to be rebuilt.
My old engine was returned in the crate the new one arrived in and I knew clearly that if certain engine parts were not serviceable in the returned "Core" then I would be paying an additional sum.

It is just a case of carrying out business in a very clear and precise communications.

And another idea would be to send the customer a temporary LED Unit to pop on the top of the C-250 while they install the LED's your YOUR hood. Now that would work as well :yup:

Pat24601

Thanks Pat for the input.
As far as I know, Steve's have never offered a Core Exchange Hood LED install scheme. They suggested that they might take up my idea of doing it, but expressed concern, using the problem you indicated as a reason not to do it!

That problem is just easily solved! Give clear information as what to expect when the exchange hood arrives and what condition your hood must meet to be accepted as a core without an additional charge.

Core Exchange Schemes operate extensively within the aircraft industry. I bought a rebuilt Lycoming engine for my Piper Archer on a Core Exchange Scheme.
It saved me weeks of downtime waiting for my own engine to be rebuilt.
My old engine was returned in the crate the new one arrived in and I knew clearly that if certain engine parts were not serviceable in the returned "Core" then I would be paying an additional sum.

It is just a case of carrying out business in a very clear and precise communications.

And another idea would be to send the customer a temporary LED Unit to pop on the top of the C-250 while they install the LED's your YOUR hood. Now that would work as well :yup:

It would work for me. :)

Roy Page

Actually Pat, that ;last suggestion would work very well for me.
I do have an LED unit which can sit on my C-250 with the RedSea hood taken off.
I have thought of using it, but I don't like open top tanks, that is why I bought the C-250.

So yes, my C-250 hood is ready to be shipped to have an LED system installed.
I want it back with a controller sitting in place of the RedSea Timer and a single connecting cable hanging out the back of the converted hood ready to plug it.
Problem is no supplier will do that!!!

Pat24601

Actually Pat, that ;last suggestion would work very well for me.
I do have an LED unit which can sit on my C-250 with the RedSea hood taken off.
I have thought of using it, but I don't like open top tanks, that is why I bought the C-250.

So yes, my C-250 hood is ready to be shipped to have an LED system installed.
I want it back with a controller sitting in place of the RedSea Timer and a single connecting cable hanging out the back of the converted hood ready to plug it.
Problem is no supplier will do that!!!

I totally get this. I think 99.9%of the people are right with you, including me.

Adrienne

I'm following this with extreme interest as with a faulty ballast and no rear fan at the moment, removing the hood and replacing the lighting with LED might be the easiest and probably cheapest option.
Roy - why do you not like open top tanks?
I believe that mesh can be used to cover the top and prevent fish jumping.

Roy Page

Adrienne,
Thanks for the comments.
I only bought a tank when I could buy one fully enclosed, open tanks look unfinished to me!
The Max C-250 is a piece of furniture which matches the decor of our kitchen eating area.
We are just a bit picky, hence this thread wanting a LED manufacturer to do a really good conversion job :guns: ...lol

Pat24601

I really hate the open top look. Even aside from the fact my kids would throw stuff in an open tank, it just looks really bad to me.

Obviously others, have very different opinions and love the open tank look, but closed hood is one big reason I bought the C-250 and thus did a LED retrofit.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Roy question... after looking at the gif files and what they are calling a "drop in" did it look like more than what you wanted to take on?

The vids were developed with my hood, so I understand one like me - not great at DIY and wanting it to work right, Pat installed his in the "pre-drop in model" & I was scared to take that on, I taped a plastic bag over my tank & sent them my hood, as Steve offered to develop the new "drop in hood" with my hood & I took him up on the nice offer... no vids (gif) at the time & much more complicated than I wanted to try - the older model that Pat installed.

But looking at the new vids, I would think I could do it now ... they say 15 mins to 45 mins - it looks pretty easy - have you though about giving it a go? Great light & top of the line quality leds

sidebar - I paid for my leds near full list, I just had them install them, as they developing the new "drop in" model - they did help me with shipping - for disclosure

I found them to be a top of the line vendor, some of the best I have ever dealt with, I could call steve & jeff (lead tech) directly on their cells & did when I wanted to know how to program & make a change on the typhoon controller - they were great, only took like 2 mins on the phone & I had it.

Last edited:

Roy Page

Roy question... after looking at the gif files and what they are calling a "drop in" did it look like more than what you wanted to take on?

The vids were developed with my hood, so I understand one like me - not great at DIY and wanting it to work right, Pat installed his in the "pre-drop in model" & I was scared to take that on, I taped a plastic bag over my tank & sent them my hood, as Steve offered to develop the new "drop in hood" with my hood & I took him up on the nice offer... no vids (gif) at the time & much more complicated than I wanted to try - the older model that Pat installed.

But looking at the new vids, I would think I could do it now ... they say 15 mins to 45 mins - it looks pretty easy - have you though about giving it a go? Great light & top of the line quality leds
Glenn,
Thanks for your input!

As a Mechanical Engineer and Radio Amateur who builds electronics from scratch I have no problem with taking on an install, being a) Build the whole LED fixture from components or b) Install a so-called drop in conversion.
However, I am rather a perfectionist so folk say!
I don't want the install to be a mass of wires not loomed correctly, I want the new controller to take the place of the existing timer etc etc.

And I honestly think those GIF files are horrible ... and I have yet to read of anyone doing this install of this so-called "drop in" in under 3 hours.

I want to buy a high quality conversion kit that can be installed in 30 minutes or less, plus a few minutes to take hood off and put it back on. And I don't want to read sentence after sentence of less than precise instructions. Good stage by stage photos are all that is needed.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would guess you would have it done in way less than 2 hours - just my guess & it would be perfect - cheers :cheers: the existing timer is not used... the controller takes it's place

nothing is used in the hood... 5 screws to mount the new leds to existing holes, from what I read - rip out all wires - everything clip, clip clip, can't go wrong... am I missing something there? Jeff ? or anyone else that knows...

@StevesLEDs

Last edited:

Pat24601

I did install mine "pre-drop in model", but I will say I really didn't want to. I'm totally not a DIY person. It's 100% true I recently hired a professional electrician to change a light bulb (although naturally that's a longer story).

I just really wanted LEDs badly enough that I decided to do the install after waiting about a year for Red Sea to come along with some type of super easy solution. I was willing to pay big bucks for that. I was definitely vastly intimidated by it. So, I totally get that.

The thing is, it really wasn't that bad once I did it. Sure, I spent a lot of time on it, but that was almost entirely because I was scared of Fing up. Not because it was actually hard. A second time through would be cake. I assume the drop in is much simpler.

Really, in my case, once I realized that ALL the wiring in my hood had to go, it was easier. There is great freedom in knowing you are ripping everything out and therefore can't screw anything up. That realization took a while, though. :)

I really try not to recommend anyone do anything specific because they may not like it or may have problems I didn't or may just regret it for other reasons. Maybe their corals don't do as well or it's too blue or whatever. I want everyone to make their own decision.

But, if I was replacing a wonky ballast like @Adrienne is, I'd totally just do a LED retrofit. At that point you are through the hard part (getting the hood open) anyway. That said @Adrienne is in New Zealand, so that may be a big negative factor. I'm not sure.

Adrienne

Pat you said it much better than me!

Thanks for the reply and thanks Pat for tagging me so I didn't miss it and your comment. The price of the retrofit itself is huge in NZ $$ being well over $800 plus shipping. With the new tank conversion underway (see my last paragraph) I will have to hold on any more big spends for a few months :)
When I mentioned this thread to my husband and how I was following this part of the conversation intently his comment was -just go ahead and try and buy a replacement fan and ballast.

I understand the 'look or wiring' that Roy has mentioned. I started up a thread about my new tank conversion on this forum last night and showed how my son in law (electrican) had tidied up the wiring of it. It looks really neat and I am happy :)

Pat24601

Thanks for the reply and thanks Pat for tagging me so I didn't miss it and your comment. The price of the retrofit itself is huge in NZ $$ being well over $800 plus shipping. With the new tank conversion underway (see my last paragraph) I will have to hold on any more big spends for a few months :)
When I mentioned this thread to my husband and how I was following this part of the conversation intently his comment was -just go ahead and try and buy a replacement fan and ballast.

I understand the 'look or wiring' that Roy has mentioned. I started up a thread about my new tank conversion on this forum last night and showed how my son in law (electrican) had tidied up the wiring of it. It looks really neat and I am happy :)

Oh, yeah it definitely costs money. I totally get not doing it for that reason alone. I partly justified the cost in my head by thinking about the T5 replacements I would save money on. But, really that was just justification. Really I just wanted it. :)

Adrienne

Oh, yeah it definitely costs money. I totally get not doing it for that reason alone. I partly justified the cost in my head by thinking about the T5 replacements I would save money on. But, really that was just justification. Really I just wanted it. :)

Yes, I've been through those calculations too and given each tube costs me $55 - thats $300 for around 8 - 10 months lighting. I'm still keen. Perhaps in another 8 months when I have to replace the whole set of tubes and hoping the faulty ballast hangs in there until then.

Trinny

Yes, I've been through those calculations too and given each tube costs me $55 - thats $300 for around 8 - 10 months lighting. I'm still keen. Perhaps in another 8 months when I have to replace the whole set of tubes and hoping the faulty ballast hangs in there until then.

I'm in the same boat, might as well use the T5s till the end of their life and replace them with LEDs. StevesLEDs seems like the ideal choice (other than being so far away), personally I would prefer to keep my own hood and not one that might not be in as good condition as the one being swapped

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Roy, my apologies for the delay in getting back with you.

I do agree with Pat, the we tried the core exchange program with the Biocube 29 and RSM250, it was a total loss. Every single hood "core" we received in was rejected by the next customer and we had to buy replacements (due to some microscopic scratch somewhere on the hood) - it was a very expensive nightmare for us. For your own well being, I encourage you to not attempt it! :banghead:

We are currently overwhelmed with orders. You'd think this is a good thing right! Unfortunately it very frustrating for us because it causes delays to our customers, and a delay in us getting responses to emails out. We are all multitasking and working 12-14 hr shifts while training a couple new employees - trying to get caught up. Please bear with us.

I personally worked 302 hours in December, a new company record. We got Dec 25th off and that was it. That said, we are not floundering around, just working our butts off trying to get ahead here.

Roy - I want to get you an RSM250 LED upgrade in your hands, but that will result in another spike in sales, and further delays on the order of a month or more - something we don't want to cause for our customers. Let us get caught up first, then we'll get you the RSM250 LED upgrade - fair enough. If you don't want to wait, just PM me, and we'll get your order placed right away if we can delay your video production release date. Very odd I know, but my #1 frustration in working here is talking with disappointing customers waiting on their products. I like happy aquarists!

Jeff