Max C-250 - T5 to LED Conversion

Hi everybody,
I converted my T5 from RSM250 to Led. I bought PCB plates, 3w (royal blue 420nm and White 10k) thermal glue and laptop power supply from ebay. My max is running about 2 months without any issues or regrets... I'm really happy and corals too!

I will try to get some pics of the system!

Go ahead and upgrade it!
Really worth doing it!

Pat24601

Hi everybody,
I converted my T5 from RSM250 to Led. I bought PCB plates, 3w (royal blue 420nm and White 10k) thermal glue and laptop power supply from ebay. My max is running about 2 months without any issues or regrets... I'm really happy and corals too!

I will try to get some pics of the system!

Go ahead and upgrade it!
Really worth doing it!

Congrats! That's awesome. I do love LEDs.

Start a tank thread and show us pics. :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
index.php

Great pic ! ^

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

I did a video about how to build your own led light. This lighting is not for RSM250, and its in Portuguese, I need to create CC for you guys in English. But the images can help in parts. Hope you like it!

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Good call Adrienne, I believe we are in the process of making arrangements with Rob, so it sounds like we are on the right track!

Jeff

snappa53

The LED systems are indeed Plug and Play if you order the 99% Completed system. Take it out of the box, lay it on a table, plug in the 1 or two cables, then plug the system into the wall and the LED system is fully functional.

Installing the LED system in a hood can add more steps to the process. Every hood is different, and out of all the ways it can be done, we have selected the most simple way possible, and are always continuing to improve that process.

Thanks,
Jeff
I'm on the cusp of ordering a 650 complete system for a client and want to slot it in the existing hood.

One reason is to reduce heat.

A question I have is will I need to get a heater once the LED system is installed? We are in Albany Western Australia which has a mild climate.

snappa53

I don't think that the stock lighting in the 650 actually causes a significant temp increase. That said, the LEDs would not cause a significant temp decrease. If you are not running a heater now, you likely will still not need to after the LEDs are installed.

Jeff
I'm surprised that you don't think the standard 650 lights heat the tank Jeff. They seem to raise the temperature during the day so much that the chiller kicks in by early evening most nights.

If the LED set up can add enough heat to keep the tank at 26oC maximum that would be great. The fluorescent tubes push it up to 29oC if not chilled.

It's winter here and maximum day time temperature is 17-20 and room temperature around 22oC. I can't see where the heat is coming from other than the lights Jeff.

Or have I misinterpreted your comment?? Not unlikely

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
snap - if it helps... can tell you on the RSM 250 the sicce pumps generate more heat than the lights - would think the pumps on the other RSM tanks are much the same...

but see what others think...

as a sidebar to this... when the RSM 250 1st came out in 2008, they had Hydor pumps, that produced so much heat, and there was so many complaints, Red Sea replaced them with sicce pumps with have proved to be much better. But still... the pumps generate most of the tanks heat...

snappa53

snap - if it helps... can tell you on the RSM 250 the sicce pumps generate more heat than the lights - would think the pumps on the other RSM tanks are much the same...

as a sidebar to this... when the RSM 250 1st came out in 2008, they had Hydor pumps, that produced so much heat, and there was so many complaints, Red Sea replaced them with sicce pumps with have proved to be much better. But still... the pumps generate most of the tanks heat...
Ahh I didn't think of that! But even so, is there a noticeable difference between fluorescent and LED heat generation?

snappa53

Or is watt is a watt is a watt?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Well I just got leds installed yesterday... so I will let others advise... the power consumption is less so makes since the heat would be less... but I am not sure... on my RSM 250 after lights (T5s) on for say 8 hours, if you put your hand on the plastic splash cover, it's warm, but I don't think it's warm enough to effect the water temp much, if any, maybe a little... with leds the same cover feels about the same... maybe someone could take some temp reading for you - but I am not sure the heat from the lights effect the water temp but maybe a degree or two... certainly not anything like a heater would

but see that others think...

we keep our home at 73f year round... temps here in winter to 5f and summer to 120f - the heat from the pumps keep my tank at about 80f with keeping the home at 73f - if any of this helps... :nessie:

again... see what others think...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
to tell you a bit more about the heat from the pumps... I mix my sw with a spare skimmer pump & no heater, it brings my sw to close enough to temp after running a few hours, that I don't use a heater when doing my weekly sw changes... :nessie:

snappa53

to tell you a bit more about the heat from the pumps... I mix my sw with a spare skimmer pump & no heater, it brings my sw to close enough to temp after running a few hours, that I don't use a heater when doing my weekly sw changes... :nessie:
I do something similar with my water - I'm going to drop a thermometer in when I mix it today. I use an old Aqua One filter pump for this job.

snappa53

the amount you change plays a roll too... I change 5 gallons at a time - twice a week 10-15% - if you change a greater % at one time, you want to to match much more closely - some would suggest near exactly, so I am just sharing what has worked for me, but not necessarily best practice.

here a good read... from Lee Brich -
Lee's Bio (a.k.a. leebca)

How to Make a Safe Water Change for Marine Fish
I'll check it out. I change 10% a week. I normally store it in 20 litre containers and slip a heater in each overnight to get it to 25oC. By feel the pump doesn't move it from 15 to 25 by itself!