Major Loss.....Came Home and found Blown out tank!

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I feel for ya, I really do. I had a similar event happen with a 125g less than 5 mo after I got into SW. Plumbing fopa caused 120+ Gal of SW to flood the Living room floor. 6 hours before I found out, 3 more before I could get home to do anything. Only survivors, 1 clown and two damsels...swimming in water shallow enough they were swimming at a 45 degree angle to stay under water. The only Positive I could point out is, SW will NOT mold your carpet like FW will. SW will KILL mold.

We all feel for you bud, I hope all works out well.

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Sorry to hear that and wish you all the best with the new setup.

shark32

Sorry to hear about your tank :(.. glad that your clownfish survived....good luck with your rebuild..:)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
SO sorry to hear about this. Hang in there and don't give up. At least you had a way to save some things and hopefully will see more recover as you go along.

Here's sending positive thoughts to you AND your insurance company :)

Keep us posted regardless and good luck with the clean up!

I don't have many coral at the moment but when you're up and running I'll send you a frag of whatever I do have available at the time to help you get re-stocked.

theplantman

Very sorry to hear about the tank. Hopefully the manufacturer will take care of you, but that cannot replace the loss of the livestock. With any luck they can tell you what happened so there is never a repeat. Again, very sorry for the losses.

Kelly

Well here is an update .. As far as insurance goes if a tree fell on your house then broke the tank you would be covered as far as the tank and contents goes. At least that's how my policy is written! The Good news the 20,000 dollars in damage the house suffered over the incident will be covered.. Contractor already gutting all the hardwood floors in my house and my furnace will need replacing it was under the house below the tank.

Still when it is all said and done I am very sad about the loss I miss my tank .. Now I have too figure out how too move my 55 gallon rescue tank because of construction.

The only poor surviving clown fish who was smart enough too stick his face in the mud will get disturbed again in the next couple days!

Poor fish!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Glad they covered the ensuing loss. I knew the tank wasn't covered and "most times" they won't cover the ensuing damage if the original cause of loss isn't a covered peril. Cash that check as soon as possible!!!!

Kelly

They are very interested in my receipt and speaking with the tank manufacturer .. They have also requested I keep the tank for the time being they may want it... I forget that word you used before? But I believe they will be trying to get the money back , but they were actually good to deal with . They also suggested I do the same to try recoup my loss on the tank said it couldn't hurt.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah, they will attempt a subrogate on process against the tank manufacturer.

Cash the checks!

Mike Johnson

SO sorry to hear about this. Hang in there and don't give up. At least you had a way to save some things and hopefully will see more recover as you go along.

Here's sending positive thoughts to you AND your insurance company :)

Keep us posted regardless and good luck with the clean up!

I don't have many coral at the moment but when you're up and running I'll send you a frag of whatever I do have available at the time to help you get re-stocked.

I'll send you one too, when you're ready.

Kelly

Today is moving day for my two backup tanks construction going to begin so I have too move a 56 gallon and a 35 gallon. Spent all morning mixing 55 gallons backup water, I hope my plan goes smooth wish me luck.

My sole surviving clown fish has had a rough week!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
So sad....Glad to hear the insurance is taking care of much of it.

Good luck on the move!!!!

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Just read this and I'm totally gutted for you. If only we all lived closer as I would have helped in any way possible. This forum is the most genuine bunch of people on the net. Respect to everyone here.

Alan

Kelly

Update.. Been a while House construction starting this Monday the 22nd hopefully only a week and 1/2 and it will be complete.. Insurance covered all the house but of course not the tank nor contents.
I do have a 155 gallon ready to go in the house once it is back together but to be honest I am somewhat scared after this huge mess... This ended up being a HUGE amount in damages ...But for now
all my Rock is chilling in the 155 in the garage... and my 56 gallon spare tank is home to my sole surviving clown fish..
kelly-albums-tank-picture24868-refuge-tank.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
That's a beautiful tank and I'm glad to hear your surviving clown is still with you. :thumbup:
Maybe your excitement about the re-build will out shine your fears :snshne:
Hope you will start a NEW tank thread & share your new progress with us!

kyle4201

Im glad to see you are "getting back on the horse". A lot of people would give up on the hobby after something like that. I look forward to seeing your new build and if u need anything just ask. :)